Update -- Austin Seferian Jenkins signs 2 yr deal with Jaguars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update -- Austin Seferian Jenkins signs 2 yr deal with Jaguars

The New York Jets will be in the tight-end market -- again. ASJ signs with Jacksonville

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, one of the feel-good stories from last season, appears headed to the open market. The two sides aren't close to an agreement, and Seferian-Jenkins is drawing interest from the Atlanta Falcons and Seattle Seahawks, a source said. The chances of him returning to the Jets are highly unlikely, the source said.

Seferian-Jenkins finished with 50 receptions in his first full season with the Jets, the most by a tight end since Dustin Keller's 65 in 2011. Seferian-Jenkins resurrected his career after an unceremonious release by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers following a DUI arrest in 2016. He acknowledged a drinking problem and turned around his life and career, much to the delight of the Jets' organization, which took a chance on him.

So why are they offering only two years, $8 million to a 25-year-old tight end with upside? Seferian-Jenkins was a non-factor over the second half of the season; that could be a factor. The Jets also believe Jordan Leggett, a fifth-round pick in 2017, can become a receiving tight end. Problem is, he didn't play at all last season because of a knee injury, so he's an unknown. The only other tight end on the roster is Eric Tomlinson (exclusive rights free agent), who is a better blocker than receiver.

If Seferian-Jenkins signs elsewhere, the Jets need to bring in a veteran of his ilk to hold down the fort.

Earlier in the offseason, reports broke tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins turned down a 2 year contract offer from the Jets worth $8 million. That would have been an annual salary of $4 million. Darryl Slater has an update of where things stand as the free agent period nears.

The Jets will meet with tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins’ representatives in the coming days to discuss a contract, a league source told NJ Advance Media.

He is looking for a contract worth about $7 million per year, according to another source.
    The original offer the Jets made seemed fair. If Seferian-Jenkins wants $7 million, I think the Jets should be inclined to let him go elsewhere. He posted the best season in his career in 2017 and still ended with an unremarkable 357 receiving yards. He also isn’t a great blocker.

Surely the Jets can find this level of production somewhere else for cheaper than $7 million.

Comment

Let him walk, he regressed in the second half of the season.Has never lived up to his potential.
      Sign Trey Burton or Brate if he comes available.

Comment

the Jets are likely going to offer him no more than $6 annual but it still will be a 2 year deal where the majority of any guarantee will be in the first year to leave the door crack to cut him after this upcoming year and Jenkins may leave those dollars on the table and test free agency but by the time he comes crawling back will be too late, well we hope it will...

Comment

let him walk

Comment

$7MM per? Good luck finding it.

Comment

Originally posted by butterscotch View Post
              let him walk
              Get him an uber, I'll pay for it.

Comment

The Jets will sign him for something like ..... 2 years $10 MM with $6 MM guaranteed.. They will also go after and try to sign Trey Burton. ... In today's game you need 3 or 4 good TE's.
                Last edited by NYJDraftKing; 03-02-2018, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYJDraftKing View Post
                  The Jets will sign him for something like ..... 2 years $10 MM with $6 MM guaranteed.. They will also go after and try to sign Trey Burton. ... In today's game you need 3 or 4 good TE's.
                  no they won't they offered him 2 year $ 8 M (4 annual) he turned it down seeking $7 M annual no way he takes $5 annual... He may accept $6 M annual with a front loaded guarantee knowing if he doesn't produce in the first year the team will cut him there after... so a 2 year $ 12 M with total $6 M guaranteed should work... $4 of $6 in first year guaranteed and $2 of the $6 in the second year would acceptable dead loss for the team...

Comment

Originally posted by gmf1369 View Post

no they won't they offered him 2 year $ 8 M (4 annual) he turned it down seeking $7 M annual no way he takes $5 annual... He may accept $6 M annual with a front loaded guarantee knowing if he doesn't produce in the first year the team will cut him there after... so a 2 year $ 12 M with total $6 M guaranteed should work... $4 of $6 in first year guaranteed and $2 of the $6 in the second year would acceptable dead loss for the team...
                    That's more than fair considering what he has shown us thus far. I'm sure the Jets will be smart enough finally to realize that they need to add a couple more good tight ends and go get them.

Comment

If thats the case, go with signing Trey Burton. That gives us a solid Receiving option in Burton, solid 2-way in Tomlinson and developmental receiving guy in Leggett. Consider it done, as we have bigger fish to fry.

Comment

Wanted ASJ back, but we’ll live. Hardly a crushing blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Old#15 View Post
                          If thats the case, go with signing Trey Burton. That gives us a solid Receiving option in Burton, solid 2-way in Tomlinson and developmental receiving guy in Leggett. Consider it done, as we have bigger fish to fry.

Old#15, I'm not sold on Trey Burton and if we cannot sign him, whats our fall back option (Leggett). He is rusty from a year on IR.

Comment

I'd like him back. ASJ, Tomlinson, and if that kid we drafted is healthy, that's not a bad young trio.

Comment

Austin Seferian-Jenkins is working out in Seattle

Comment

I'd like ASJ back, but I have to be honest, when a guy talks about how your franchise saved his career and then some, and then you play hardball with them in negotiations, it says a lot about your (lack of) character.

Comment

Originally posted by SackExchange View Post
                                  I'd like ASJ back, but I have to be honest, when a guy talks about how your franchise saved his career and then some, and then you play hardball with them in negotiations, it says a lot about your (lack of) character.
                                  good point

Comment

Comment

Separate Ways from Journey. Hilarious.

Not a bad song, but a terribly cheesy video.

Comment

Jets look like they’re making a last ditch effort to keep ASJ. He’s from Washington State I believe and is really looking at the Seahawks. Coming home thing.

Comment

I'd like him to stay, but, if we can't get someone as good in free agency to replace him and worse comes to worse, this years draft has some pretty good TEs available.

Comment

Is Leggett completely healthy?

Comment

Jets have increased their offer to ASJ... Could it will it be enough to bring him back...

Comment

Jets have increased their offer to ASJ... Could it will it be enough to bring him back...
                                                80/20 No.

“I want to win big, and win big at home” ASJ on the prospect of playing for the Seahawks.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindsideD'Brick View Post
                                                  Jets look like they’re making a last ditch effort to keep ASJ. He’s from Washington State I believe and is really looking at the Seahawks. Coming home thing.
                                                  I wonder what kind of offer the Seahawks made him.

Comment

80/20 No.

“I want to win big, and win big at home” ASJ on the prospect of playing for the Seahawks.
                                                    Funny, less than two years ago he just wanted a job.

Comment

Originally posted by McJet View Post

Funny, less than two years ago he just wanted a job.
                                                      Actually he just wanted to take a huge shit .

Comment

Originally posted by TonyFtLaud View Post

Actually he just wanted to take a huge shit .
                                                        Couldn’t help but notice the time on the video picture: 4:47am.

Like my Dad used to say: “Son, nothing good happens after 2am following a long night of drinking”.

Dad was right again.

Comment

guess ASJ didn't like the deal Seattle offered, is heading to Jax tonight...

Comment

guess ASJ didn't like the deal Seattle offered, is heading to Jax tonight...
                                                            Yeah, that’s noteworthy. All indications were that he was going there no doubt about it.

I’d love to remove another need off our list by getting him back. One less thing we need to use a draft pick on. I think Tyler Eifert is still out there. He’s really good when healthy.

Comment

Yeah, that’s noteworthy. All indications were that he was going there no doubt about it.

I’d love to remove another need off our list by getting him back. One less thing we need to use a draft pick on. I think Tyler Eifert is still out there. He’s really good when healthy.
                                                              we got Q. back...

When Q got injured they went to get ASJ to fill that role of H Back...
                                                              Now that they are confident Q is back then who knows maybe the three on the roster are good enough role players to play alongside Enunwa...

Comment

Couldn’t help but notice the time on the video picture: 4:47am.

Like my Dad used to say: “Son, nothing good happens after 2am following a long night of drinking”.

Dad was right again.
                                                                Lots of good things happen after 2 am following a long night of drinking, as long as you take her home in an Uber!!!! Lol
                                                                Seriously, when a cop says, " I'm just going to let you off with a warning" you say thank you sir and move on. Jenkins was just begging to go to Jail.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyFtLaud View Post

Lots of good things happen after 2 am following a long night of drinking, as long as you take her home in an Uber!!!! Lol
                                                                  Seriously, when a cop says, " I'm just going to let you off with a warning" you say thank you sir and move on. Jenkins was just begging to go to Jail.
                                                                  I knew someone was gonna reply with the “scored at the bar with a hot girl”.

OK, ONE good thing can happen after 2am. Just try not to indulge in the whiskey. It can hamper things.

Comment

OK, ONE good thing can happen after 2am. Just try not to indulge in the whiskey. It can hamper things.

The voice of experience on the whiskey issue?

Comment

Originally posted by SackExchange View Post

The voice of experience on the whiskey issue?

Comment

you set it up perfectly.
                                                                        i worked in the industry when a young man , and drank but not to that point, but very rarely drink for many years now. Less than 5 drinks a year.
                                                                        I had fun, but saw enough to know what over indulging would lead too.

Comment

LOL
                                                                          signed 2 year deal with Jax for same deal Jets offered initially!!!

Comment

LOL
                                                                            signed 2 year deal with Jax for same deal Jets offered initially!!!
                                                                            Guess he figured the Jets weren’t gonna win for a few more years. Jax is closer than us. Seattle must’ve really lowballed him.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Wait! So the guy who talked all about how the Jets resurrected his career left for the SAME MONEY?

Screw him!

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by NYJDraftKing View Post
                                                                                About 2 week ago I said his number would be 2 years $ 10 MM, low and behold .... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...eferianjenkins

That what he signed for ....
                                                                                2 years $ 10 MM with the Jags

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  All I can say is the Jets gave him an opportunity to turn his life around and he thanks them by being an unappreciative deserter. What a bum.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Hope being back in Florida surrounded by his old friends doesn't lead him back to his old habits.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    X