1-On-1 with Max Mitchell: "I'm Here To Get The Work Done"

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I want the Jets to work this kid in camp and pre-season like a rented mule . I want this kid ready for prime time in 2023 if not earlier . Crack the whip o this little ole country boy early and often and let’s see what we got

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
I want the Jets to work this kid in camp and pre-season like a rented mule . I want this kid ready for prime time in 2023 if not earlier . Crack the whip o this little ole country boy early and often and let’s see what we got
A little extreme but I hear you. He’s gonna need a year in the weight room and training table not to mention some cleaning up of technique. Hope he’s the long term answer at RT/swing tackle.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
M&M has the potential to be a steal in the 4th.

Bucky Brooks had him in the top 5 position prospects for Tackle until the individual work outs started... because of play.
Daniel Jeremiah had him consistently in his top 50 over draft prospects... because of play.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
M&M has the potential to be a steal in the 4th.

Bucky Brooks had him in the top 5 position prospects for Tackle until the individual work outs started... because of play.
Daniel Jeremiah had him consistently in his top 50 over draft prospects... because of play.
This is why I want this kid on the field. I want him getting his azz handed to him if that’s what needs to happen so he can get acclimated to the speed at this level . Fant is the worst RT on our roster even if he’s probably the best LT or second best behind Becton . If he loses out on the LT battle we’re going to have to put a TE on his side to help him. That’s a waste of talent so I want this Mitchell kid ready as soon as possible.

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
This is why I want this kid on the field. I want him getting his azz handed to him if that’s what needs to happen so he can get acclimated to the speed at this level . Fant is the worst RT on our roster even if he’s probably the best LT or second best behind Becton . If he loses out on the LT battle we’re going to have to put a TE on his side to help him. That’s a waste of talent so I want this Mitchell kid ready as soon as possible.
i'm pretty comfortable with fant at LT & moving becton to RT along side vera-tucker 2022..

hard for me to get my head around mitchell being brought in to push for a starting tackle spot in year one..

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
i'm pretty comfortable with fant at LT & moving becton to RT along side vera-tucker 2022..

hard for me to get my head around mitchell being brought in to push for a starting tackle spot in year one..

it wouldn't be the first time that a pick drafted to be the LT for the future was the RT of the present... it is a good start.
M&M is going to leap frog Edoga, and McDermott.

but if we didn't have Fant for LT and Becton for RT, i can easily see a team drafting a RT in the 4th to compete for a job right away.
we got spoiled seemingly overnight that we do not have to play him.

Last edited:

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
it wouldn't be the first time that pick drafted to be the LT for the future was the RT of the present... it is a good start.
M&M is going to leap frog Edoga, and McDermott.

but if we didn't have Fant for LT and Becton for RT, i can easily see a team drafting a RT in the 4th to compete for a job right away.
we got spoiled seemingly overnight that we do not have to play him.
we've gotten spoiled by a clearly competent GM who has ended a decade+ long shit show..

i'm pumped for big boy football!!

all gas, no break!!

Last edited:

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
we gotten spoiled by a clearly competent GM who has ended a decade+ long shit show..

i'm pumped for big boy football!!

all gas, no break!!

when you think back to Shell being the highest ranked OLinemen drafted in a bout a decade in the 5th round, the cupboards are bare would be an understatement.

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
when you think back to Shell being the highest ranked OLinemen drafted in a bout a decade in the 5th round, the cupboards are bare would be an understatement.
incompetent management will do that..

idzik & maccagnan were shamefully bad NFL GMs..

by the end i believed (almost) maccagnan was ****ing the jets over on purpose..

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I don’t expect Maxx Mitchell to be the starting RT come opening day . My plan is to give him as much work as he can stand , then a little more so I can get him ready just in case. Also I’m not interested in turning the LT position over to anyone before the start of preseason. Fant has to beat out Becton convincingly.

Innocenti

Ospedale degli Innocenti
Jet Fanatics
I was concerned about his build and I am concerned about his ability to maintain weight. But he's in the 320s now so maybe he'll be ok and in the future become a starting tackle.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
I don’t expect Maxx Mitchell to be the starting RT come opening day . My plan is to give him as much work as he can stand , then a little more so I can get him ready just in case. Also I’m not interested in turning the LT position over to anyone before the start of preseason. Fant has to beat out Becton convincingly.

humbly disagree... IMO, Becton needs to beat out the PFF 3rd rated overall LT convincingly to get the starting LT gig.
we might not take a step back on passing downs with #77 at LT, but on running downs we might take a step back with Fant at RT.

i am not one for starting controversies at premier spots on a team, because that leads to "camps" within a team when it comes to QB, CB, DE, and LT. But in this case, Fant outplayed the vast majority of the LT's in the league and did so with a rookie at LG (albeit a talented one).

another reason is Becton might do well to be out of a lime light position and just concentrate on punishing dlinemen. in theory, we can have him at LT for 10 years after this year, so let him be a big fish in a little pond at RT for now... i only see positives in that.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
humbly disagree... IMO, Becton needs to beat out the PFF 3rd rated overall LT convincingly to get the starting LT gig.
we might not take a step back on passing downs with #77 at LT, but on running downs we might take a step back with Fant at RT.

i am not one for starting controversies at premier spots on a team, because that leads to "camps" within a team when it comes to QB, CB, DE, and LT. But in this case, Fant outplayed the vast majority of the LT's in the league and did so with a rookie at LG (albeit a talented one).

another reason is Becton might do well to be out of a lime light position and just concentrate on punishing dlinemen. in theory, we can have him at LT for 10 years after this year, so let him be a big fish in a little pond at RT for now... i only see positives in that.
This makes the most sense for the current Jets roster . The trouble is, it might not make the most sense for Becton. This guy has had an interesting second year and off season of controversy. His twitter handle “Big Bust 77” says it all . I bring him to camp and give him the best chance to regain his job and if it’s close, he gets the job . We’re talking about a 24 year old vs a 32 year old and our team’s future . One guy under contract and the other needing a contract.

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
This makes the most sense for the current Jets roster . The trouble is, it might not make the most sense for Becton. This guy has had an interesting second year and off season of controversy. His twitter handle “Big Bust 77” says it all . I bring him to camp and give him the best chance to regain his job and if it’s close, he gets the job . We’re talking about a 24 year old vs a 32 year old and our team’s future . One guy under contract and the other needing a contract.
fant turns 30 in late july, FWIW..

& if becton loses his job to him, so bad, so sad i guess..

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
fant turns 30 in late july, FWIW..

& if becton loses his job to him, so sad, so sad i guess..
Like I said, it’s probably the best situation for the current Jets roster . While Fant had the year of his NFL career last year at LT, I think he’s an awful RT . So having him win the LT job and Becton sliding over to RT might be the best thing for the Jets

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics

i think you're right... that handle is a statement of sorts. and the reason i would like to see him be brought back to the featured position of LT slowly. i think more than injury and fitness, his mental state is the thing he needs to concentrate on the most.

"Big Bust 77" might be a motivational thing for him, and if it propels him new highs as a professional, that is a great thing.
and you're right, Fant is older and probably gone after this year. it is easier to fill the RT spot than LT.

so why not allow #77 a year to get back in the saddle, and have Max (in essence) replace Fant as a line member, but #77 at RT as #77 goes back to LT in 2023?

the only thing you do for 2022 is field a unit with the best players at spots that work best in both the run and pass... Fant won't be able to cream linemen in the running game like #77.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
Is everyone judging Fant's performance at RT on Gase's last year? If so, then he may be fine at RT with the scheme we are running now. I'll defer to Sack and GMF for their opinion.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
Is everyone judging Fant's performance at RT on Gase's last year? If so, then he may be fine at RT with the scheme we are running now. I'll defer to Sack and GMF for their opinion.

i was going more by what Fant did at LT rather than what he did not at RT under Gase... he was absolutely superb at the prime time position on the line.

FTR, when he got beat up for his play at RT in 2020, i never understood it. the team named him MVP, right? i remember asking my kid "why are they talking trash about Fant... he looks to be the best player on the line."

but that is an interesting question that you have brought up!

@SackExchange @gmf1369 ... you have been called forth to opine. :notworthy:

Last edited: