Jets Global

Charleston Rambo NFL Draft Profile

• Position: Wide Receiver
  • School: Miami
  • Current Year: RS Junior
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 185 pounds

Charleston Rambo Scouting Report

Charleston has smooth acceleration and deceiving speed. He is balanced and very fast with the ball in his hands. He is a savvy route runner with top field awareness, setting up and selling routes beautifully. He shows quickness off the snap to shake off corners and create room. Separates with hesitation moves and nice acceleration.

Charleston is a fluid athlete with explosive burst and speed to stretch the field and breeze past defenders. Has a quick first step and gets to top speed in a hurry. He has the strong hands any NFL wide receiver coach and quarterback would covet. He tracks the deep ball over either shoulder and brings in passes fluidly without breaking stride downfield.

Charleston has very good hands, accepts the ball fluidly on most throws and is ready to make a play afterward. Makes catches in traffic, even going up over taller defenders with vertical and toughness. Has elite speed and cutting ability and good hands and toughness. He gets off the line with a nice burst and is very fluid in his movements with little wasted steps in his routes.

Areas for Improvement

Rambo has a tendency to use his torso when making catches in stride. This does not mean that he does not have good hands, that is far from the case. When Rambo uses only his hands to make a play he is just as deadly. This is a red flag for NFL scouts, because using your body to make a catch can slow you down. Not only that, but it also limits his ability to go up and highpoint the ball.

For being 6’1”, Rambo is too light for someone his size. Usually we see receivers of his height weighing around 200 lbs. His small and nimble frame allows him to shed tackles, but limits his ability to power through tackles. I love wide receivers who are able to extend plays after contact. This is where Rambo’s biggest weakness lies, once the defender makes contact with him, the play is usually over. With all of this being said, this is something that can change once he gets drafted. If he puts in the time in the gym and develops an NFL ready body, he will thrive.

Charleston Rambo Career at Miami

Charleston Rambo is a former four-star recruit out of Cedar Hill High School in Cedar Hill, Texas. According to 247sports, coming out of high school in 2017 he was ranked as the 27th best wide receiver in the nation. Don’t let that number fool you, he was a top 30 wide receiver in a class that included players like Jerry Jeudy, Tee Higgins, Donovan People-Jones, DeVonta Smith and many more NFL talents. This ranking allowed him to get recognized by 32 division I schools, many of which were power five talents. After looking at his stats, I am not surprised that he was such a highly ranked prospect. According to MaxPreps, during his senior year he had 87 total receptions for 1,590 yards and 25 touchdowns. These are numbers I would love to see from a wide receiver at any level. When getting as many offers as he did, it can be hard to pick a school. This did not seem to be the case for Rambo, he decided to join CeeDee Lamb at Oklahoma. This was a good decision, because he would eventually have a Heisman winner throwing the ball to him.

After a few successful years for the Sooners, Rambo decided to take his talents elsewhere for the 2021 season. Rambo entered the transfer portal and decided to play for the Hurricanes in Miami. So far this season, Rambo has yet to disappoint. He currently has a total of 64 receptions for 955 yards and 5 touchdowns. This kind of efficiency has caused him to rise up many draft boards this season (including mine).

Charleston Rambo NFL Draft Player Profile

Rambo’s draft stock has been fluctuating all season. As of right now, I think that Rambo will be taken in the latter half of the sixth round or even seventh round. If he continues to play at the same level, I think he could make his way up towards the early fifth or sixth round.

This could be the case, because he shows good potential to be a complimentary piece in an offense. If I was the GM of the Saints, I would pull the trigger on Rambo in the sixth round if he is available. By drafting him, he is not only giving your offense a good deep threat; he is also able to open up the field for Michael Thomas.