All Time Stupid Mets Move

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
still pisses me off

After Richie Hebner, my all-time least favorite player

All that money for 515 games, 94 HR and a .270 average, matador defense and a really lousy attitude. Loved it when he called the press box in the middle of a game to complain about an error that they charged him with. Doesn't even last 4 full years here, traded for Alex Ochoa

Mahomes dad was on the same '99 team, BTW

WORST METS MOVES:
  1. June 15, 1977
  2. Ridiculous replacement for Shea
  3. Selling controlling interest to Mr. Dodger Fan
  4. The Bonilla signing
  5. Not having a steadying influence for Strawberry and Gooden to teach them the difference between a long term star (work) and a short term star (partying)

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Bonilla is such a shit, he attended Lehman H.S. in the Bronx. Besides knowing the neighborhood and its problems with drugs, poverty, and crime... still when asked to pay for some uniforms and bats and balls for the team he refused! It would have cost him less than a day's pay, if that.

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
still pisses me off

After Richie Hebner, my all-time least favorite player

All that money for 515 games, 94 HR and a .270 average, matador defense and a really lousy attitude. Loved it when he called the press box in the middle of a game to complain about an error that they charged him with. Doesn't even last 4 full years here, traded for Alex Ochoa

Mahomes dad was on the same '99 team, BTW

WORST METS MOVES:
  1. June 15, 1977
  2. Ridiculous replacement for Shea
  3. Selling controlling interest to Mr. Dodger Fan
  4. The Bonilla signing
  5. Not having a steadying influence for Strawberry and Gooden to teach them the difference between a long term star (work) and a short term star (partying)
How about the alleged Dick Young influence in getting rid of Tom Seaver the heart and soul of the team even when they were bad?

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I could understand if he were eating the hotdog during the butt fumble......
Maybe doesn't rank as an All-Time bad move but living down here in Saint Petersburg I always loved Scott Kazmir as a Devil Rays Ace. Not sure what the Mets received in return but I remember Kazmir killing it early 2000s for the Mets minor league teams. Not sure why NYM quit on him so early he was a killer on the mound.

Victor Zambrano and Bartolome Fortunato because the Mets needed vets desperately. They were not winning but the Braves hadn't run away with it yet and the Mets were only a couple of games out. There was a huge hole or three in the rotation and the only fix was to trade a top prospect.

Unfortunately, Fortunato brought no fortune and Zambrano should have been taken to the Garden and run over by the Zamboni. Both got hurt and the Mets finished way out of the race at the end. I think it also ended Jim Duquette's GM job

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Maybe doesn't rank as an All-Time bad move but living down here in Saint Petersburg I always loved Scott Kazmir as a Devil Rays Ace. Not sure what the Mets received in return but I remember Kazmir killing it early 2000s for the Mets minor league teams. Not sure why NYM quit on him so early he was a killer on the mound.
The rumor was the older players didn't like his spunky attitude and music.
Later

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
How about selecting Steve Chilcott in the minor league draft instead of Reggie Jackson because "he was seen with white women on campus at ASU"? The Mets GM, George Weiss, had come over from the yanks and under him they were one of the last AL teams to integrate.
A year later, the Mets could have had Dick Allen and Luis Tiant under the minor league draft for $12,000 each. Weiss didn't pick either one of them because "they were too colorful". Arguably, the Mets could have had three Hall of Fame quality players on the team by the early 1960s, instead of being the laughing stock of baseball.

When you get right down to it, the worst move the team ever made was hiring Weiss.

Later