Baseball is back baby

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
... and of course, before we even see a spring training game the news is all over how de Grom will be leaving after this year

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Where is he going ? Straight into the hall or cross town

not ready for HOF yet (only 8yrs and 1200 IP or so), needs a few more years if he has it

... and it didn't occur to me that cross town is a good bet. That would suck big time

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Well let's see. Who's that guy with Namath?

Shea Stadium, #41, hmmmm ... throwing righty so it's not Gordon Richardson, therefore must be Jim Bethke (who also wore #36 so is he the only Met to wear two now retired numbers?

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Even I have to admit that the universal DH in MLB makes sense for the time. With the DH at all lower levels, these guys have no idea how to hit or as importantly bunt. Ruins the game for me in so many ways.

Still it is another thing that makes me sad as they trash this physically and spiritually beautiful game. I have had three things I would love to see but never have live (after over at least 1,500 games):

1. A no-hitter, came so close so many times.
2. A triple play.
3. A Mets pitcher grand slam

Now #3 is out. There have only been two in Mets history. Both were at home so maybe one of you saw one of them. TRIVIA: who hit 'em?

You can see the inevitability of:
  • Robot strike zone: with catchers no longer calling games and taking away pitch framing, the only skill needed will be throwing, so his bat will determine his worth. Thinking that through, it makes a Jesse Gonder more valuable than Gerald Wayne Grote
  • Erasure of the leagues, realignment for geography. Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox ad nauseum. The Yankees will be the worst, it would be like the Jets being in a division with the Brady era Patriots
  • Ticket prices that will destroy the sport to pay for the ridiculously escalating salaries of the players and the second half of 10 year mega deals where the player either got hurt or too old
what else?

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
Even I have to admit that the universal DH in MLB makes sense for the time. With the DH at all lower levels, these guys have no idea how to hit or as importantly bunt. Ruins the game for me in so many ways.

Still it is another thing that makes me sad as they trash this physically and spiritually beautiful game. I have had three things I would love to see but never have live (after over at least 1,500 games):

1. A no-hitter, came so close so many times.
2. A triple play.
3. A Mets pitcher grand slam

Now #3 is out. There have only been two in Mets history. Both were at home so maybe one of you saw one of them. TRIVIA: who hit 'em?

You can see the inevitability of:
  • Robot strike zone: with catchers no longer calling games and taking away pitch framing, the only skill needed will be throwing, so his bat will determine his worth. Thinking that through, it makes a Jesse Gonder more valuable than Gerald Wayne Grote
  • Erasure of the leagues, realignment for geography. Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox ad nauseum. The Yankees will be the worst, it would be like the Jets being in a division with the Brady era Patriots
  • Ticket prices that will destroy the sport to pay for the ridiculously escalating salaries of the players and the second half of 10 year mega deals where the player either got hurt or too old
what else?

PITCHERS HIT THEM what did I win

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
By the way, if anyone wants to win bar bets, the two Mets pitchers who hit the grand slams were Carl Willey in '63 (off Ken Johnson of the Colt 45's) and Jack Hamilton (off Al Jackson) in '67.

Hamilton hit his in the 2nd and got knocked out in the 4th. A month later the Mets dumped him to the Angels for Nick Willhite. Two months after that fate awaited in the form of Tony Conigiaro.