Best Song Remakes

U

ucrenegade

I usually don't care for songs being remade but their are a few I think sound good enough that it doesn't ruin the integrity of the song.

Here are a few I like

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
You mean covers?

Don't have links for these but here's a few:

Jazz and Classical: Don Sebesky's juxtaposition cover of Stravinsky's Firebird Suite and Mahavishnu's Birds of Fire. Pure Genius. Separately, Tomita's synthesizer cover of the Firebird and Jeff Beck's cover of BOF also deserve notice

Rock & Roll: Early Beatles cover of the Isley Brother's Twist and Shout. Lennon raised that one several levels but they had to end the show with it when they played live because he couldn't sing after that

Blues Rock: Janis Joplin doing Big Mama Thornton's Ball of Chain (plus a ton of other Janis covers, i.e most of everything she ever did)

Folk Rock: Jeff Buckley covering Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"

New Wave: Talking Heads "Take Me to the River"

Others of note:

Aretha's take on Otis Redding's "Respect"

Jimi doing Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower"

Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends" ... fun trivia here as the answer to "What TV sitcom hit did Jimmy Page play on the theme song"

Manfred Mann taking Springsteen in another direction: "Blinded by the Light"

more Beatles songs, EWF's "Got to Get You Into My Life", Fiona Apple "Across the Universe"

Could probably come up with much more, but can't leave without noting Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin killing Coltrane's "A Love Supreme"

Gotta say this is nice. A Jets board doing Harmony-Central without the humungous egos :)

The Wicker Man

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Ok, I''ll play: here's a few:
Judas Priest doing Joan Baez' "Diamonds and Rust
Cheap Trick doing Fats Domino's "Ain't That A Shame"
Tad Morose doing Abba's "Knowing Me, Knowing You"
Nazereth doing the Everly Bros "Love Hurts"
Thin Lizzy doing I have no clue, it's an ancient song-"Whiskey in the Jar"...Metallica does a nice version as well.
Flotsam and Jetsam doing Elton John's "Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting"
Exodus doing War's "Low Rider"
Testament doing Aerosmith's "Nobaody's Fault".

Here's Abba being "metalized":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBOg_g6BxOo

renegade, how do you get the videos to show up like that?

U

ucrenegade

Ok, I''ll play: here's a few:
Judas Priest doing Joan Baez' "Diamonds and Rust
Cheap Trick doing Fats Domino's "Ain't That A Shame"
Tad Morose doing Abba's "Knowing Me, Knowing You"
Nazereth doing the Everly Bros "Love Hurts"
Thin Lizzy doing I have no clue, it's an ancient song-"Whiskey in the Jar"...Metallica does a nice version as well.
Flotsam and Jetsam doing Elton John's "Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting"
Exodus doing War's "Low Rider"
Testament doing Aerosmith's "Nobaody's Fault".

Here's Abba being "metalized":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBOg_g6BxOo

renegade, how do you get the videos to show up like that?

the film reel icon next to the insert image icon.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Just heard this today and it knocked me out so I had to add it ...

Gov't Mule covering James Brown's "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" . OMG

Warren Haynes is another guy left off the best guitarist list

Speaking of James Brown, I wonder if Emilio Castillo is still digging on him. Hmm, guess there are just not enough music fans around here to start a best horn band thread :)

The Wicker Man

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Just heard this today and it knocked me out so I had to add it ...

Gov't Mule covering James Brown's "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" . OMG

Warren Haynes is another guy left off the best guitarist list

Speaking of James Brown, I wonder if Emilio Castillo is still digging on him. Hmm, guess there are just not enough music fans around here to start a best horn band thread :)

Gov't Mule(Warren Haynes) is awesome. I like a lot of "Jam bands" too and they always do great covers.
One of my faves by Gov't Mule: *Not a cover*

Here's The Black Crowes doing the Band's "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
Sweet Child O'Mine by Taken by Trees is a good cover of the Guns N' Roses's classic.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
How about bad covers? Haven't heard that Sheryl Crow doing GNR but that can't be good

Although not a musician by trade, William Shatner's "Lucy in the Sky" could be the worst.

For bad covers by real bands/singers I'm partial to being annoyed by Grand Funk Railroad's "Gimme Shelter"

Even the Beatles had a bad cover with Piano Red's "Mr. Moonlight"

The Wicker Man

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Just heard this for the first time-Tesla covering The Climax Blues Band...Tesla does a great cover of "Signs" By The Five Man Electrical Band as well.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
Joan Osborne covering the Jimmy Ruffin Motown Classic, What Becomes of the Brokenhearted. Its from the Documentary, Standing in the Shadows of Motown, about the house musicians at Motown, the Funk Brothers, who made all of those fabulous melodies, and here she is backed by the actual living members of the Funk Brothers, and she kills it!!

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
Two excellent covers of the Beach Boys classic, Don't Worry Baby, one by BJ Thomas and one by Lorrie Morgan (who was drop dead gorgeous), accompanied by the Beach Boys on backup vocals.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
IMO Billy Stewart did the best remake of the Gershwin classic, Summertime, better than Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Janis Joplin or Sam Cooke. He Jazzed it up and did a terrific soulful version, and it was a hit record in 1966.

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Otis Redding's "My Girl" made more famous by the Temptations. (I once sang "My Girl" with the Temptations, but that is for a different thread)

The cover of RunDMC's "Walk This Way" By Aerosmith brought rap to the mainstream and served to legitimize it to the rest of the music world.

Later