Does Duane Brown make sense for the Jets?

Official Jets

Administrator
Big Fish
Jets Beat
Jet Fanatics
With depth at tackle being on the mind of all Jets fans and commentators since Becton’s injury plagued 2021 season; the team approaches the coming season with nerves regarding his ability to stay healthy, and questionable depth behind Becton and Fant. As it stands, if either misses any time, Conor McDermott, Chuma Edoga or rookie Max Mitchell will be what stands between Zach Wilson and edge rushers around the NFL.

This isn’t good enough for Zach, the team, or the fans. We spent too much of last season watching Zach run around after McDermott or Edoga got wiped out while trying to fill in at one of the tackle spots.

News broke on Saturday that the Jets are having a visit from Duane Brown, longstay at left tackle for the Seattle Seahawks since 2017, at the Green and White scrimmage.
Brown has been in the league since 2008, when he was drafted 26th overall by the Texans. He spent 10 years at Houston before being traded to the Seahawks in 2017, and in 2018 signed a respectable 3 year extension with the team for £34.5 million.

He’s been reliable over the stretch, missing just a little over 20 games in a 14 year career despite struggling with knee, and going to 4 Pro Bowls. Brown graded out highly as a pass blocker in 2020 and earned an overall score of 87.3 from PFF at the age of 34; although this slipped somewhat in 2021 with Brown ending the season with a PFF grade of 71.5.

There’s no doubt Brown would be a huge upgrade over what the Jets currently have sitting on the bench at tackle, and it’d be a solid move for Joe Douglas to make similar to the late addition of Morgan Moses in 2021, which payed off massively when Becton went down against the Panthers. But the question from me is more: what’s in it for Brown?

Sure, 2021 was not the best year for Brown, but this didn’t stop PFF rating Brown 3rd in their 10 top free agent tackles going into the 2022 offseason. Brown could probably find a spot to start in 2022 if he really wanted to, and that’s not something that’s on offer with the Jets. Even if Becton was having issues that aren’t being shared outside of the Jets building, Brown is a career Left Tackle, and it’s been made clear by the team that that particular job belongs to George Fant.

Would I like to see Duane Brown sign with the Jets to be a solid back up? Sure I would. Do I think it’s likely to happen if there’s any other offers on the table? No. I think if Brown has an offer to start, or to at least compete for a starting job somewhere else he’ll likely be signing elsewhere. That will leave Joe Douglas looking closely at the upcoming cuts once they start happening in the hopes that someone shakes free who can fill the backup tackle position.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I think if Brown had an offer to start, he would not still be on the street. He may be playing the odds on a team losing a starting OT in a preseason game. How long can the Jets wait for him to sign?

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
I think if Brown had an offer to start, he would not still be on the street. He may be playing the odds on a team losing a starting OT in a preseason game. How long can the Jets wait for him to sign?
depends on who blinks 1st i would guess..

any thoughts on a plan B??

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
i'd do it as well.. becton is officially on the clock, in my view anyway..

He was impressive Saturday night, I will say that. His punch is incredible to see, and he had a much better kick step off the right edge than I expected him to have.

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
He was impressive Saturday night, I will say that. His punch is incredible to see, and he had a much better kick step off the right edge than I expected him to have.
i'm a bit surprised by that sack being OL is your lane..

dude is a legit athlete who just happens to be a gigantic powerful human being..

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
i'm a bit surprised by that sack being OL is your lane..

dude is a legit athlete who just happens to be a gigantic powerful human being..

I liked his kick step on the left side. His stride is huge. He can cover 1 1/2 times what a normal-sized LT can cover, and that can neutralize some speed rushers.

What surprised me is how sharp it was on the right side. That is a more difficult transition to make than it might seem. But he looked very natural with it.

In my case, I am right-handed, but I was always more comfortable at LG than I was at RG. That goes back to high school, and carried over to college, where I was a LG and C. I snap right-handed, but in a regular three-point stance, I was more comfortable in a lefty stance. I also was more comfortable kicking outside to the left against a pass rush.

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
With this Becton injury today that will most likely last at least half the season. Let’s just be honest, hell yeah it makes perfect sense to sign Brown!

Last edited by a moderator:

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
They wanted him before Becton was hurt. They know Becton is damaged goods. Going down early is a good thing This OL needs time to gel.

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
The only thing about Brown is that he’s been a LT his entire career. His signing probably moves Fant back to RT, where he wasn’t as good.

But right now the thought of Chuma Odoga or Conor McDermott starting hurts my brain.

Sign Duane Brown. Now. Please.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
To quote Judge Smails from Caddyshack:

“Well….we’re waiting!”
Hopefully this gets done and its not just JD sticking to his guns. He will have to overpay for Brown and probably anyone else. They should have already had his replacement in before camp. Its JD's fault for trusting Becton to be in shape and believing he could stay healthy.