Fear The Walking Dead "Not Fade Away" Episode Discussion (SPOILERS)

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't watched tonight's episode of Fear The Walking Dead, don't read any further!

"Not Fade Away" gave us insight into the government's role in containing the outbreak and quarantining the infected. The episode made me question whether the presence of the military was to help the survivors or to cover up something more sinister. There seems to be a lack of transparency between the people and the military enforcers, which in dire circumstances makes sense in order to avoid civil unrest and hysteria, and yet there is something unsettling about these army officials.

For starters, they've barricaded the community in which Travis and his family live from the outside world, claiming that its for their own protection. The outside areas that encircle the fenced off community is labeled as a dead zone with no known survivors. In addition, no medical supplies are being brought in to help those who need it like Griselda or Hector. Furthermore, Liza is tending to those in need, lying about being a nurse to do so. Resident army official, Reynolds, gives off an unsavory and untrustworthy vibe, which makes me question whether the government was responsible for the outbreak in the first place. Back during the season one finale of The Walking Dead, when Rick found out that they were all infected at a CDC center in Atlanta, I had the same thought. With Fear The Walking Dead, my inkling that the government caused the virus and is scrambling to cover it up at any costs is stronger than ever.

Here's why: Madison escapes the gated community and sees streets of dead bodies. What's interesting is that these bodies aren't infected. Chris also sees what appears to be a light source in the distance that's being reflected almost as an SOS signal in what was deemed the dead zone. When Travis approaches Reynolds about this, he brushes it off, saying it was impossible that anyone is alive out there and that it was probably just the sun reflecting off something like glass or metal. By the end of the episode, Hector, Griselda, and Nick are taken away by a new doctor to a government facility to receive medical care after Liza spilled the beans about their conditions, but none of their respective family members are allowed to go with, save for Liza who is convinced by the new doctor to help due to her medical expertise.

Madison blames Liza for Nick being taken away because she was the one who revealed her son's methadone addiction thereby causing more strife in her marriage to Travis. Madison seems to be quickly unraveling while Travis is for some strange reason still putting his trust in the government. This episode seemed to deconstruct social systems at both the micro and macro levels in terms of family and society.

What did you think about tonight's episode of Fear the Walking Dead? Do you think the government was involved with the outbreak? I can't be the only conspiracy theorist out there! Talk the walk! Walker 2

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
still haven't watched it but thanks for posting. not reading the spoilers!

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
I will just say the show is getting better and better. Already it is a can't miss on my list. I don't want to say much more I would hate to ruin it for anyone.