Kayvon Thibodeaux is he the best or just trumped up by media?

Jets Global

Jet Fans United
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Apparently we live and die by the statistics but the drive of players goals and the media hype are all taken into account when a player is striving to become a professional athlete where he stands to make millions for a game that he/she can play. We are not saying he is not good, what we are saying he comes with a lot of what ifs surrounding him, and fans have already taken a cautionary stance on or against him. Have to wonder if the teams have also?

Kayvon Thibodeaux out of high school was the number one rush defensive end, nowadays known as EDGE player. From an early age out of high school he made a business decision how was he going to elevate his brand by choosing which school to go to. He got letters from SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12 and several other schools in conferences not on the big stage. But his decision to this point was it more calculated then desire to be great against the elite?

At Oregon, he flourished albeit if one really looks into his tape he put up some gaudy numbers against street competition. What does that mean street competition? Well no one can tell you where was the elite competition, one player that was or will be drafted in the first round Top 25. Not one, no not one.

When striving for greatness but facing no real 1% competition in college is not concerning because he did dominate. The true fact is when faced with adversity he backed down, this is what people notice. What is meant from within that statement is colleges would double team, but those times were the times for him to step up and shine because if you are going to claim you are best then why shut it down against inferior talent regardless if they are doubling you, that is the time to rise to the challenge and shine consistently.

The question prior to the draft about his competitive fire is the main questions because of the willingness to join your team to play this past season at Oregon, but when shown respect by opposing teams getting double teamed, he shut it down. The optics is a shown he is a me player not a team player. We understand his thoughts maybe he did not want to get hurt, but no one would of blinked an eye if he chose to sit out the season to prepare for the draft during the pandemic. Now that would of been the right business decision. Playing with your team mates but not giving your true 100% shows a lack of competitive fire.

The goal in any young footballers mind is how to make it to the NFL.

As Jets fans we have seen players make it, play well under their rookie contracts then get that second contract and believe that money is for what they did not for what they should do. The last one to do it Muhammad Wilkerson. So Jets fans are weary of players like that.

Now when it comes to facing elite talent consistently players who are the cream of the crop will he be able to dominate as he did with Oregon? That is something we can say, we can hope but there is no guarantees, but something that is almost constant is a person's track record or mind of thought.

Can he even hang with the cream of the crop of the NFL which is nowadays considered the 1% of college athletes, does he have what it takes?

Kayvon made a business decision against inferior competition, will he make that same decision when double teamed at the next level?

That is the question.

@Jets Global

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Guy’s the closest thing to the great LT that I’ve seen and yet he scares the heck out of me. Of the three I think the safest pick is Jermaine Johnson but do you want safe or potentially great with either Thibodeaux or Walker ?

Last edited:

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
So, it boils down to this - is KT a real asshole or does he just play one for the media?
My thinking is, if he really isn't one, but feels he has to play one, then he really is one.
(The logic of that would have made that moron Chris Russo's head explode.)

Later

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
he scares the hell out of me personally for many of the reasons you mentioned.. i've also heard him compared to clowney but much smaller.. wasn't thrilled hearing that.. i've also hear he's a good but not an elite athlete.. hearing he lacks bend.. & of course we've all heard varying degrees of him being a "me 1st" kinda kid..

plus, douglas thankfully got rid of overrated pain in the ass.. yeah, thibs scares the hell out of me but i legitimately trust douglas knows what he's doing, so there's that as well..

i like johnson out of florida state but not sure if he's worth the pick at 4 or if he gets to us at 10?!

i do believe douglas can't swing & miss at edge..