Jets Global

LaBryan Ray NFL Draft Profile

• Position: Defensive Tackle
  • School: Alabama
  • Current Year: RS Senior
  • Height: 6'5"
  • Weight: 285 pounds

LaBryan Ray Scouting Report

LaBryan is long an violent strong side defensive end who lines up all over the line for the Crimson Tide. He has impressive athleticism for his size. His length is excellent able to extend blockers consistently. With his length and violent hands he is able to twist linemen in any direction keeping them off balanced. He can two gap with his length and has the ability to disengage quickly. He has the lateral range is exceptional especially on the inside. He plays hard and delivers a hit when he gets home. Ray is smart and disciplined, playing his responsibility against the run. In the quick game, he gets his hands on the ball, battling passes at the line.

Areas for Improvement

Durabilty is a concern. He needs to be more disciplined, being more consistent in the play in-and-out.

LaBryan Ray Career at Alabama

LaBryan was a composite five star defensive lineman prospect. Ranked 26 nationally in the 247Composite and No. 1 strongside defensive end prospect. Entering 2017 season as a true freshman, suffered a foot injury that limited his playing time in the first year at the Capstone. He saw action in six games contributing five tackles. He provided depth in the Tide defensive line group as a sophomore. An in state defensive line prospect coming out of Madison. He saw time in all 15 games with one start in 2018.

Ray earned the starting defensive end spot during the fall before suffering a lower leg injury at South Carolina in 2019. He accumulated nine tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss and a sack prior to his injury. He returned to the field after missing most of the 2019 season and battled injuries once again. He played in seven total games with three starts. He was selected to the Outland Trophy Award Watch List, also named to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List.

LaBryan returned for his final season with the Tide. He was hampered by injuries throughout his career. He missed the Miami and Mercer contests to start the new campaign. He totaled 10 tackles, including three for loss and one sack along with four quarterback hurries. Made his first appearance agains Florida, finished with one tackle in Gainesville.

LaBryan Ray NFL Draft Player Profile

LaBryan Ray, now a fifth-year senior, wasn’t able to play in that game due to injury, which has been a reoccurring issue for the Madison native throughout his career. Ray has dealt with injuries during four of his five seasons in Tuscaloosa – a foot injury in 2017, a lower leg issue in 2019, an elbow setback in 2020 and a groin injury this year. But he has played in the Tide’s last nine games, making two starts, and is playing with more confidence.

“I’m feeling good right now,” Ray said on Tuesday. “I’m healthy, I’m back. So just to be back with my teammates and get back to the brand of what I wanted to go back to, I’m blessed.”