Old #15 (the real one) passed yesterday

MiJetFan

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Passing of a Legend. Caught and Threw out some of the best. God Speed Gerry.

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Jerry Grote, catcher of the Mets '69 World Series Championship team died yesterday of respiratory failure after heart surgery. He was a ripe old 81. Might have to change my tag.
Honor him by keeping it.
My tag on a Mets page is a picture of Brian Cole, a Mets prospect who died in a car crash.
Later

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Followed Harry Chiti and Joe Pignatano to name two behind the plate.

Rheingold Shea.jpg

Last edited:

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Another vote to keep the Old #15 handle in honor of Mr. Grote. Besides, it's one of the better handles here.

How many years looking over his shoulder from that unique behind the plate camera watching all that great pitching, of which he had no small role in producing?

Well worth Tall Tom Parsons and a worthy replacement for Chris Cannizzaro

Quick Grote story:

Back when we had season tix at Shea there was an old timer's game, maybe about '90 or so. One of the guys behind us also had Diamond Club tickets for the sole reason that the bathrooms were kept clean and were right down the ramp from our mezz box. After the regular game, when it was time to leave, someone needed the Diamond Club on the way down so we all followed. We all took the elevator from the club down. If you remember, the DC elevator let you out on the first floor. The clubhouse was to the right and the short hallway led to that door to the right of the ticket windows between gates C& B where kids line up looking for autographs as the players come out. So we get out of the elevator and a bunch of old timers were in the short hallway talking, including Grote. For some reason, he sees me and thinks I'm someone else. As we pass, he excuses himself from the person that he's talking to and says, "I gotta say goodbye to this guy".

He steps right in front of me, grabs my hand and starts shaking it vigourously. He says. "Great to see you today, I'm really looking forward to coming to the ranch this summer". I thanked him, told him I'd see him then and continued out the door. The looks on my friend's faces were priceless.

Sorry, Jerry, I never made to the ranch