Jets Global

Patrick O'Brien NFL Draft Profile

• Position: Quarterback
  • School: Washington
  • Current Year: Graduate
  • Height: 6'5"
  • Weight: 230 pounds

Patrick O'Brien Scouting Report

Patrick has good (not elite) arm strength and can easily make all the NFL throws with effortless deep passes. He stick throws into tight windows down the seam, throwing to spot on slant or between zone defenders before the receiver makes his cut or is open. He sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver.

Patrick will step up into pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver. He flashes good accuracy to all levels of the field and has the arm strength to make every requisite throw. Protypical height for the position with a lean frame. He possesses very good vision balance, elusiveness and deceptive speed and power as a runner. He flashes anticipation and placement on intermediate outs and the ability to lead receivers on deeper throws.

Areas for Improvement

O'Brien sails throws to either sideline, receivers make him look good with acrobatic catches. His back foot throws are not accurate. He sometimes thrusts his arm too much, trying to stick passes late in the play or when off balance. He is too often fails to give receivers a chance to make a play after the catch.

Patrick needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws. His accuracy is solid, but far from great with streaky ball placement downfield as he tries to thread the needle too much. He is inconsistent downfield passer and puts too much air under his throws. He has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. He doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.

Patrick O'Brien Career at School

AT WASHINGTON - Patrick enrolled at the UW on Jan 4, 2021, for the start of the winter academic quarter and as a graduate transfer, was immediately eligible for his final college season. He played in two games and saw his first action as a Husky late in the Arkansas State game. He completed one out of three pass attempts at Colorado.

AT COLORADO STATE - Patrick spent the 2018, 2019 and 2020 seasons at Colorado State ... in 2020, started three of the Rams' four games. He completed 45 of 80 pass attempts for 591 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions in 2020 and in 2019, started nine games and played in two more, going 209-of-338 for 2,803 yards, 13 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He sat out the 2018 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

AT NEBRASKA - Patrick spent the 2016 and 2017 seasons at Nebraska and after redshirting the 2016 season, appeared in four games for the Cornhuskers in 2017. He completed 18 of 30 passes for 192 yards in 2017.

As a senior in 2015, led San Juan Hills to an 8-3 overall record and a berth in the CIF Southern Section Southwest Division playoffs. Patrick passed for 2,895 yards and 32 touchdowns, completing 74.3 percent of his pass attempts, while also rushing for 626 yards and eight TDs as a senior and earned All-South Coast League first-team honors, as well as second-team USA Today all-state in 2015.

Patrick O'Brien NFL Draft Player Profile

Patrick O’Brien has played for four head coaches in five seasons at two FBS programs. After three scholarship quarterbacks — graduate student Kevin Thomson, redshirt sophomore Jacob Sirmon and true freshman Ethan Garbers, opted not to return this offseason, O’Brien will compete with returning starter Dylan Morris and five-star freshman Sam Huard for precious Pac-12 reps.

O’Brien brings a wealth of experience to the three-ring circus. In four games (and three starts) at Colorado State in 2020, the San Juan Capistrano, California, product completed 56.3% of his passes and threw for 591 yards with three passing touchdowns, two rushing touchdowns and two interceptions — while splitting time with redshirt junior Todd Centeio. That’s after he completed 62% of his passes and threw for 2,803 yards with 13 touchdowns and seven interceptions, while adding two more rushing scores, in 11 games (nine starts) in 2019.

A former San Juan Hills High School four-star standout, O’Brien transferred from Nebraska to CSU before the 2018 season. He made four appearances as a backup at Nebraska in 2017, completing 18 of 30 passes for 192 yards. In his sixth and final collegiate season, at his third school, O’Brien will have to prove he’s the Huskies’ best option.

“This is going to be my fifth head coach, so I’ve been in multiple different types of systems,” O’Brien said. “I’ve learned a lot, being in college. I think I’ve grown mentally a lot in football. I think what UW is running right now really fits the quarterback I am. I’m a prostyle quarterback. I’m big. I have a really strong arm and can really make any throw.