Roster Breakdown 2023!

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
End of this season entering the off-season there are going to be some coaches fired. Unfortunately for Jets fans that want Robert Saleh to be canned he is likely to return with General Manager Joe Douglas who were backed in public by Owner Woody Johnson. But this thread is a breakdown of the roster and what they can do to improve the entire roster top to bottom. $16 M in available cap space and that is including draft pick compensation.

Which players could be an affordable return and which players might take a paycut to stick around. Which players still have trade value and which free agents make sense to build this core up.

As the Jets’ 2023 season winds down, it is time to look ahead to 2024.
The franchise will have some interesting decisions to make in free agency and the NFL draft as the Jets again try to halt their playoff drought that is now 13 years old.
Everything starts with their own free agents.
Here is a look at the high-profile free agents the Jets will have starting with the most important to re-sign:

Bryce Huff
This is going to be a fascinating negotiation.
Huff has emerged as a very good pass rusher, whom the coaches love.
He is a darling of the analytics crowd because of his lightning-quick first step.
Huff leads the team with eight sacks this season, but this is his first year of big production, so the team is not going to be inclined to pay him like a top edge rusher.
His agent surely will ask for something around or more than $20 million a year.

Will the Jets go that high for a player with a lot of potential but one that only plays about 40 percent of the snaps?
The Jets have used first-round picks on edge rushers in each of the last two years with Jermaine Johnson and Will McDonald.
Will they be willing to let Huff walk, knowing they have those two?
I think the Jets and Huff reach a deal in the end, but it could be a rocky few months before they get there.

Greg Zuerlein
You could argue that no one on the 2023 Jets has done his job better than Zuerlein.
As play began Thursday night, he had only missed one field-goal try all season.
The Jets have struggled to find a consistent kicker for years.

Thomas Morstead
Maybe the only player who can fight with Zuerlein for doing his job well consistently.
Morstead has been a great weapon, pinning opponents inside the 5-yard line and helping to cause safeties.
The Jets have won the battle of field position in many games because of Morstead.
They must re-sign him.

Quinton Jefferson
I would bring Jefferson back.
He had a career-high six sacks before suffering a season-ending injury two weeks ago in Miami.
Jefferson was a nice complement to Quinnen Williams in the middle and should not cost that much.

Jordan Whitehead
This is where things get interesting.
Whitehead has been good in coverage this season and not very good against the run. Do the Jets think they can upgrade this position?
Do they want to commit money to doing that when there are bigger needs on the team?
I could see a scenario where Whitehead comes back on a one-year deal at around what he is making now — $7 million.

Justin Hardee
He has been the team’s best special teams player and should be back as long as his contract demands are reasonable.

Solomon Thomas
A popular player in the locker room and with the coaches, Thomas has a career-high five sacks this season and has been a good part of the defensive line rotation. He could be back on a short-term deal.

Mekhi Becton
I don’t think the 2020 first-round pick will be back in 2024.

Dalvin Cook
A one-year experiment that failed miserably.

Carl Lawson
A big free-agent signing in 2021, he has barely played this season. He won’t be back.

Ashtyn Davis
The guy always seems to find the ball despite only playing sparingly.

Duane Brown
I would expect Brown is ready to retire after two injury-filled years with the Jets.

Randall Cobb
Just say no to Aaron. They can’t run this one back.

Connor McGovern
He had a good run with the Jets but now it is Joe Tippmann’s time at center.

Chuck Clark
You probably forgot he was on the team since he was injured in the spring.
If the Jets don’t bring back Whitehead, Clark is a possibility.

Al Woods
He had some nice moments before he was injured but he never felt like a great fit for the defense.

Billy Turner
No, Aaron, he’s not coming back.

Trevor Siemian/Brett Rypien
Let’s pair these two veteran QBs together. Neither should be back.

Bryce Hall
A 2020 draft pick who was a starter at one point but barely plays now. Time to move on.

Sam Eguavoen
A serviceable rotational linebacker who could return on a short term deal.

Chazz Surratt
Special teams player who could return on short term deal.

Nick Bawden
Should be back, just because his girlfriend is smoking hot :ROFLMAO:

Javelin Guidry: A restricted free agent
Perrion Winfrey: A restricted free agent
Kenny Yeboah: A restricted free agent
Bradlee Anae: A restricted free agent
Zack Kuntz: A restricted free agent
Xavier Newman: A restricted free agent
Chris Glaser: A restricted free agent
Jake Hanson: A restricted free agent
Trey Dean III: A restricted free agent
Maalik Hall: A restricted free agent
Obinna Eze: A restricted free agent
Tae Hayes: A restricted free agent
Bruce Hector: A restricted free agent
Craig James: A restricted free agent
Marcelino McCrary-Ball: A restricted free agent
Lance McCutcheon: A restricted free agent
Jacques Patrick: A restricted free agent
Marquiss Spencer: A restricted free agent
Austin Seibert: A restricted free agent
Malik Taylor: A restricted free agent
Xazavian Valladay: A restricted free agent

Of these free agents outside the restricted guys who would you bring back? In all honesty I really do think Joe Douglas will try to re-sign some but the only ones that will return because of their success this year will be DLM Solomon Thomas, Quinton Jefferson both return on one or two year deals. I do think Jordan Whitehead returns on a 2 maybe 3 year deal which closes the door for Chuck Clark but he may still return as that third safety if they do not choose to bring back Ashtyn Davis. I do believe JD will re-sign both kickers Greg Zuerlein & Thomas Morstead. The final piece is what everyone wants to return but honestly if he thinks he is that good he may look for starter role which he could have here alongside Jermaine Johnson with McDonald as the rotation but that price tag will have to make some roster moves to open that door.

Possibility of cap cuts/trades:

Players entering contract year (2024):
C.J. Mosley
D.J. Reed
Alijah Vera Tucker (Will have option to exercise 5th Year Team Option)
C.J. Uzomah
Tyler Conklin
Tony Adams
Laken Tomlinson
Wes Schweitzer
Jamien Sherwood

Of these players Joe Douglas can dangle some for trade or convince to renegotiate extensions to lower final year cap to save the team money. Notably CJ Mosley & DJ Reed seem like to get extension to lower cap. Expect AVT to be tagged for 5th year. Conklin might also get reworked contract. Tony Adams is not going anywhere expect after the 2024 season the Jets place no lower than a 2nd round tender on the starting safety originally a rookie free agent. But cap casualities or trade options are Laken Tomlinson, CJ Uzomah, Wes Schweitzer and even Jamien Sherwood.

Let's say they trade Laken, cut Uzomah and rework both Mosley & Reed contracts they could open up an additional $26 M to add to their already $16 M allowing the team to make moves in free agency and the draft.

What free agents make sense for this roster?
Secondary:
CB: Harrison Hand, Cameron Dantzler, Jeff Okudah, Kristian Fulton
SS: Kyle Dugger, Kamren Curl
FS: Alohi Gilman, Terrell Edmunds
LB: Patrick Queen, Tyler Matakevich, Shaquille Leonard, K’Lavon Chaisson, Jake Martin
DL: Chase Young, Javon Kinlaw, Clelin Ferrell, A.J. Epenesa
OL: Yosh Nijman, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Jermaine Eluemunor, Oli Udoh
TE: Irv Smith, Adam Trautman, Colby Parkinson
WR: Marquez Callaway, Curtis Samuel, Michael Pittman Jr., Jamison Crowder
RB: A.J. Dillon, Trayveon Williams
QB: Ryan Tannehill, Gardner Minshew, Teddy Bridgewater

There are plenty of other options but these guys above fit our team dimensions.

If Joe Douglas wants to satisfy his franchise/HOF QB then do what the Packers never did draft a first round receiver and one of the best is coming out this year from Ohio State in Marvin Harrison Jr. . I would sign another Ohio State free agent in hometown guy, Curtis Samuel to be the slot receiver. Along with a player like Callaway which would give us two guys for return purposes paired or split time with Xavier Gipson gives a formidable five receivers. If we do keep six then it comes down to Irvin Charles vs Jason Brownlee which I believe Brownlee has an edge on Charles who is predominantly a special teams gunner.

To satisfy and pair Breece Hall with a guy like A.J. Dillon another Packer but this signing makes sense he gives us that one two punch and allows Izzy to continue to become more of a well rounded third down option. I am torn about Nick Bawden return he is used limited and would rather use a tight end to split as fullback and use that extra roster spot somewhere else.

I do believe Conklin sticks around at least for his final year of his contract regardless if they extend him to lower his 2024 cap. Jeremy Ruckert does deserve more playing time he has been developing into a well rounded possible starter entering year three he should be inline to be TE1. I would then get rid of Uzomah, give Yeboah a chance to be that vertical option in the receiving game. But we would need to sign or draft someone. In this case would sign a player like Colby Parkinson who could grow with Ruckert.

Offensive Line has been horrific over the last four years. But expect them to exercise AVT's 5th year. Along with possibly trading Laken they will have holes to fill and do expect them to draft not one but two linemen in this year's draft. Interior linemen are on the table. With AVt, Warren, Mitchell, Tippman the core is set now we need to find out who will join them. I would add Yosh Nijman, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Jermaine Eluemunor along with AVT, and Tippmann to be the starting five next year with Warren as the swing tackle, Mitchell has been serviceable at both guard and tackle. I think Wes finishes this outfit as backup center. But still will need to draft one maybe two interior linemen unless we can get a surprise day three tackle that fits our scheme.

Main attraction is what to do with Zach Wilson, my answer is trade him. Give him a viable shot to start over his career and just take the loss on this one. Which opens hte door needing a viable backup option behind Aaron Rodgers. All three of these options make sense for us; Ryan Tannehill, Gardner Minshew and Teddy Bridgewater are proven starters in this league but are quality backups. Also allows us to draft a day 3 quarterback to sit and develop. If he does not pan out the team is not going to hurt the regime that we drafted a supposedly top college quarterback and he flames out.

This thread has Chat Room enabled.

gastineau

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I find it’s interesting what Jets do in Draft and free agency this off season. Need a future starter at QB to learn under Rogers and Offensive O Linemen. Problem is Jets can’t draft and can’t develop a QB since Namath. O Linemen draft and free agency . I think Jets should trade as many years of first round picks to get their QB of the future and sit him and make him as the backup QB needed. Then draft many O Linemen as you can get and then go out and spend much money as possible for good Linemen. Go for broke making the next 4 years Super Bowl or bust! One problem will a top rookie QB agree come to Jets knowing they are incompetent development of QBs and fans have a 7 game patience to be good? GM needs to go for broke trade up to top 3 in first getting a QB and buy O Linemen

KenO'B

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Never mind, where are you signing up for next?

Panthers.com?

Had some exciting times watching Ken O'Brien, sure we drafted him, 25k+ yards before he retired, hard to call that a failure but, but, but, he wasn't Dan, the no ring man though, was he?

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Hope Whitehead isn't back. 20 missed tackles and 7 TDs allowed. He is replaceable.

McJet

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Tippman, AVT, Warren and that kid Newman( think he can become at least a good back up) are the only olinemen that should be brought back.
Draft should net at least two olinemen.
JD needs to hit FA hard for oline. Although teams don’t let the real good ones leave.
Clarke should replace Whitehead no problem, resign A Davis.
Not sure why Bryce Hall was in the doghouse. He’ll go somewhere else and start.
Jets need two FA WR, sitting at 10, BPA will probably be a WR.

Greentilldeath

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
End of this season entering the off-season there are going to be some coaches fired. Unfortunately for Jets fans that want Robert Saleh to be canned he is likely to return with General Manager Joe Douglas who were backed in public by Owner Woody Johnson. But this thread is a breakdown of the roster and what they can do to improve the entire roster top to bottom. $16 M in available cap space and that is including draft pick compensation.

Which players could be an affordable return and which players might take a paycut to stick around. Which players still have trade value and which free agents make sense to build this core up.

As the Jets’ 2023 season winds down, it is time to look ahead to 2024.
The franchise will have some interesting decisions to make in free agency and the NFL draft as the Jets again try to halt their playoff drought that is now 13 years old.
Everything starts with their own free agents.
Here is a look at the high-profile free agents the Jets will have starting with the most important to re-sign:

Bryce Huff
This is going to be a fascinating negotiation.
Huff has emerged as a very good pass rusher, whom the coaches love.
He is a darling of the analytics crowd because of his lightning-quick first step.
Huff leads the team with eight sacks this season, but this is his first year of big production, so the team is not going to be inclined to pay him like a top edge rusher.
His agent surely will ask for something around or more than $20 million a year.

Will the Jets go that high for a player with a lot of potential but one that only plays about 40 percent of the snaps?
The Jets have used first-round picks on edge rushers in each of the last two years with Jermaine Johnson and Will McDonald.
Will they be willing to let Huff walk, knowing they have those two?
I think the Jets and Huff reach a deal in the end, but it could be a rocky few months before they get there.

Greg Zuerlein
You could argue that no one on the 2023 Jets has done his job better than Zuerlein.
As play began Thursday night, he had only missed one field-goal try all season.
The Jets have struggled to find a consistent kicker for years.

Thomas Morstead
Maybe the only player who can fight with Zuerlein for doing his job well consistently.
Morstead has been a great weapon, pinning opponents inside the 5-yard line and helping to cause safeties.
The Jets have won the battle of field position in many games because of Morstead.
They must re-sign him.

Quinton Jefferson
I would bring Jefferson back.
He had a career-high six sacks before suffering a season-ending injury two weeks ago in Miami.
Jefferson was a nice complement to Quinnen Williams in the middle and should not cost that much.

Jordan Whitehead
This is where things get interesting.
Whitehead has been good in coverage this season and not very good against the run. Do the Jets think they can upgrade this position?
Do they want to commit money to doing that when there are bigger needs on the team?
I could see a scenario where Whitehead comes back on a one-year deal at around what he is making now — $7 million.

Justin Hardee
He has been the team’s best special teams player and should be back as long as his contract demands are reasonable.

Solomon Thomas
A popular player in the locker room and with the coaches, Thomas has a career-high five sacks this season and has been a good part of the defensive line rotation. He could be back on a short-term deal.

Mekhi Becton
I don’t think the 2020 first-round pick will be back in 2024.

Dalvin Cook
A one-year experiment that failed miserably.

Carl Lawson
A big free-agent signing in 2021, he has barely played this season. He won’t be back.

Ashtyn Davis
The guy always seems to find the ball despite only playing sparingly.

Duane Brown
I would expect Brown is ready to retire after two injury-filled years with the Jets.

Randall Cobb
Just say no to Aaron. They can’t run this one back.

Connor McGovern
He had a good run with the Jets but now it is Joe Tippmann’s time at center.

Chuck Clark
You probably forgot he was on the team since he was injured in the spring.
If the Jets don’t bring back Whitehead, Clark is a possibility.

Al Woods
He had some nice moments before he was injured but he never felt like a great fit for the defense.

Billy Turner
No, Aaron, he’s not coming back.

Trevor Siemian/Brett Rypien
Let’s pair these two veteran QBs together. Neither should be back.

Bryce Hall
A 2020 draft pick who was a starter at one point but barely plays now. Time to move on.

Sam Eguavoen
A serviceable rotational linebacker who could return on a short term deal.

Chazz Surratt
Special teams player who could return on short term deal.

Nick Bawden
Should be back, just because his girlfriend is smoking hot :ROFLMAO:

Javelin Guidry: A restricted free agent
Perrion Winfrey: A restricted free agent
Kenny Yeboah: A restricted free agent
Bradlee Anae: A restricted free agent
Zack Kuntz: A restricted free agent
Xavier Newman: A restricted free agent
Chris Glaser: A restricted free agent
Jake Hanson: A restricted free agent
Trey Dean III: A restricted free agent
Maalik Hall: A restricted free agent
Obinna Eze: A restricted free agent
Tae Hayes: A restricted free agent
Bruce Hector: A restricted free agent
Craig James: A restricted free agent
Marcelino McCrary-Ball: A restricted free agent
Lance McCutcheon: A restricted free agent
Jacques Patrick: A restricted free agent
Marquiss Spencer: A restricted free agent
Austin Seibert: A restricted free agent
Malik Taylor: A restricted free agent
Xazavian Valladay: A restricted free agent

Of these free agents outside the restricted guys who would you bring back? In all honesty I really do think Joe Douglas will try to re-sign some but the only ones that will return because of their success this year will be DLM Solomon Thomas, Quinton Jefferson both return on one or two year deals. I do think Jordan Whitehead returns on a 2 maybe 3 year deal which closes the door for Chuck Clark but he may still return as that third safety if they do not choose to bring back Ashtyn Davis. I do believe JD will re-sign both kickers Greg Zuerlein & Thomas Morstead. The final piece is what everyone wants to return but honestly if he thinks he is that good he may look for starter role which he could have here alongside Jermaine Johnson with McDonald as the rotation but that price tag will have to make some roster moves to open that door.

Possibility of cap cuts/trades:

Players entering contract year (2024):
C.J. Mosley
D.J. Reed
Alijah Vera Tucker (Will have option to exercise 5th Year Team Option)
C.J. Uzomah
Tyler Conklin
Tony Adams
Laken Tomlinson
Wes Schweitzer
Jamien Sherwood

Of these players Joe Douglas can dangle some for trade or convince to renegotiate extensions to lower final year cap to save the team money. Notably CJ Mosley & DJ Reed seem like to get extension to lower cap. Expect AVT to be tagged for 5th year. Conklin might also get reworked contract. Tony Adams is not going anywhere expect after the 2024 season the Jets place no lower than a 2nd round tender on the starting safety originally a rookie free agent. But cap casualities or trade options are Laken Tomlinson, CJ Uzomah, Wes Schweitzer and even Jamien Sherwood.

Let's say they trade Laken, cut Uzomah and rework both Mosley & Reed contracts they could open up an additional $26 M to add to their already $16 M allowing the team to make moves in free agency and the draft.

What free agents make sense for this roster?
Secondary:
CB: Harrison Hand, Cameron Dantzler, Jeff Okudah, Kristian Fulton
SS: Kyle Dugger, Kamren Curl
FS: Alohi Gilman, Terrell Edmunds
LB: Patrick Queen, Tyler Matakevich, Shaquille Leonard, K’Lavon Chaisson, Jake Martin
DL: Chase Young, Javon Kinlaw, Clelin Ferrell, A.J. Epenesa
OL: Yosh Nijman, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Jermaine Eluemunor, Oli Udoh
TE: Irv Smith, Adam Trautman, Colby Parkinson
WR: Marquez Callaway, Curtis Samuel, Michael Pittman Jr., Jamison Crowder
RB: A.J. Dillon, Trayveon Williams
QB: Ryan Tannehill, Gardner Minshew, Teddy Bridgewater

There are plenty of other options but these guys above fit our team dimensions.

If Joe Douglas wants to satisfy his franchise/HOF QB then do what the Packers never did draft a first round receiver and one of the best is coming out this year from Ohio State in Marvin Harrison Jr. . I would sign another Ohio State free agent in hometown guy, Curtis Samuel to be the slot receiver. Along with a player like Callaway which would give us two guys for return purposes paired or split time with Xavier Gipson gives a formidable five receivers. If we do keep six then it comes down to Irvin Charles vs Jason Brownlee which I believe Brownlee has an edge on Charles who is predominantly a special teams gunner.

To satisfy and pair Breece Hall with a guy like A.J. Dillon another Packer but this signing makes sense he gives us that one two punch and allows Izzy to continue to become more of a well rounded third down option. I am torn about Nick Bawden return he is used limited and would rather use a tight end to split as fullback and use that extra roster spot somewhere else.

I do believe Conklin sticks around at least for his final year of his contract regardless if they extend him to lower his 2024 cap. Jeremy Ruckert does deserve more playing time he has been developing into a well rounded possible starter entering year three he should be inline to be TE1. I would then get rid of Uzomah, give Yeboah a chance to be that vertical option in the receiving game. But we would need to sign or draft someone. In this case would sign a player like Colby Parkinson who could grow with Ruckert.

Offensive Line has been horrific over the last four years. But expect them to exercise AVT's 5th year. Along with possibly trading Laken they will have holes to fill and do expect them to draft not one but two linemen in this year's draft. Interior linemen are on the table. With AVt, Warren, Mitchell, Tippman the core is set now we need to find out who will join them. I would add Yosh Nijman, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Jermaine Eluemunor along with AVT, and Tippmann to be the starting five next year with Warren as the swing tackle, Mitchell has been serviceable at both guard and tackle. I think Wes finishes this outfit as backup center. But still will need to draft one maybe two interior linemen unless we can get a surprise day three tackle that fits our scheme.

Main attraction is what to do with Zach Wilson, my answer is trade him. Give him a viable shot to start over his career and just take the loss on this one. Which opens hte door needing a viable backup option behind Aaron Rodgers. All three of these options make sense for us; Ryan Tannehill, Gardner Minshew and Teddy Bridgewater are proven starters in this league but are quality backups. Also allows us to draft a day 3 quarterback to sit and develop. If he does not pan out the team is not going to hurt the regime that we drafted a supposedly top college quarterback and he flames out.

This thread has Chat Room enabled.
Great post. So let’s see ……
Bryce Huff…. tag and trade. Maybe we can get a 2nd for him. No way is fatty paying 15MM + for him
Zuerline and Morestead. Both will be back, Between the 2 they probably won 4 games for us In fact Morstead is surrendering #5 to Wilson next year
Jefferson will be back
Whitehead will be gone, Davis will replace him
Hardee. Gone. He isn’t that great
Thomas. He will return. Saleh favorite
Becton, Brown, Cook, Cobb, Uzmoah, Buh bye
Chuck Clark. Resign
Turner, Siemen Buh bye
Bryce Hall. I think he will return
Contract guys….. Resign all (some on a restructure) except Uzomah and Schweitzer
RFA. No clue

gastineau

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Good Job by GM Douglas trying to fix Jets. But Jets could be like the Dolphins last year! Fins started out great until injuries at end of season. Jets have a good paper team “IF” Jets Team can stay playing ALL season. This Team healthy has chance to make playoffs for this and next year, but after that? Doubtful and little future after. No future at QB unless Douglas grabs one at 10 and if Jets play good they won’t have a top pick for next 2 years. This has a small chance for success and is a quick fix that seldom ends good for teams in the past who done this. Could set Jets back 6-10 years all for a quick playoff game.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Good Job by GM Douglas trying to fix Jets. But Jets could be like the Dolphins last year! Fins started out great until injuries at end of season. Jets have a good paper team “IF” Jets Team can stay playing ALL season. This Team healthy has chance to make playoffs for this and next year, but after that? Doubtful and little future after. No future at QB unless Douglas grabs one at 10 and if Jets play good they won’t have a top pick for next 2 years. This has a small chance for success and is a quick fix that seldom ends good for teams in the past who done this. Could set Jets back 6-10 years all for a quick playoff game.
We all could be dead in 6-10 years. Or could be dead tomorrow.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Remember, most of the FAs are one one year deals. It's one year all or nothing. Same as last year