The best Jet in 2023 has been re-signed

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
I don't think it's fair to call him the best Jet. I think he should be sharing that distinction with Greg The Leg. I am VERY glad to have our two top notch kickers back. In fact, I haven't looked, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Greg was the teams leading scorer last season.

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
I don't think it's fair to call him the best Jet. I think he should be sharing that distinction with Greg The Leg. I am VERY glad to have our two top notch kickers back. In fact, I haven't looked, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Greg was the teams leading scorer last season.
Upon signing, both were placed on season ending IR

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Something I believe that we need to keep in mind as we evaluate what JD does in free agency. Our "O" line needed to be almost entirely revamped if we were going to even have a chance of success in 2024. Our "D" line is bound to lose some guys that will need replacing if we are going to keep it top notch. This is a tough assignment for any GM but it is especially difficult when you are shopping with no money. True he can create some more cap space by cutting players or restructuring their contracts..... BUT..... oftentimes the players you would need to cut to make a significant difference are also the players that you can not function well without and couldn't afford an equal replacement for with the money you gained. So restructuring players is usually the best solution for increasing the cap without hurting the competitive ability of the team. This however usually has a negative effect on the teams financial ability to compete down the line. It's sort of like only paying the interest on a loan.........sooner or later it's going to bite you in the ass. Yes there have been and still are some quality players out there in free agency that we all would like to see brought into the fold here. The reality is that the Jets simply can not afford most of them. It appears to me that the Jets are trying to find players in the bargain basement that are still able to play well enough to make the team better this year and maybe next without jeopardizing our financial stability down the road so that when these short term investments are over we actually can afford top of the line investments. Sorry I rambled guys. In my defense I'm old and I'm a writer so when I get in the grove it's difficult to quit.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Moderator might want to move the above rant by yours truly to Tony's thoughts about the off season thread. It probably fits better there.