The Walking Dead Sixth Season Premiere "Head's Up" Episode Discussion (SPOILER!)

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
The Walking Dead Sixth Season Premiere "Head's Up" Episode Discussion (SPOILER!)

SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't watched tonight's episode of The Walking Dead, don't read any further!

Rejoice! After weeks of "is he?" or "isn't he?" Tonight's opening minutes of The Walking Dead finally revealed that Glenn survived his encounter with the walker horde four episodes prior. It took me a while to understand the motivation of the writers to keep the audience in the dark about Glenn's "death" because they wanted us to feel what the characters felt. We processed his death, mourned him, and went through all the motions of uncertainty with them. The idea of uncertainty is a constant reality for the survivors because anytime one of them leaves on a mission outside the confines of safety there will always be a notion that they might not return. Glenn's survival proves that there is still humanity left on the show, despite the post-apocalypse. Glenn represents that as he's the everyman and the only person who has not murdered any human in the show's six season run. I, for one, am glad that Glenn survived, and I was even more thrilled to see Maggie's reaction to the green balloons. She got her sign that Glenn is alive, but I hope they are reunited soon so that he can learn that he's about to become a father.

Speaking of parenting, Enid returned and helped a severely dehydrated Glenn by supplying him with water before taking off. Throughout the entire episode, Glenn tried to convince Enid to return with him to Alexandria. Glenn was able to see that Enid was in emotional turmoil due to the loss of her parents and did not want to accept that Alexandria was "home." He eventually convinced the youngin to live, right before they sent the signal of hope to Alexandria. I also liked the foreshadowing of Glenn as a father in his pseudo-parenting of Enid, even though I'm still not convinced that she is not a wolf in disguise. I can't wait to see Glenn's parenting skills in action when he discovers that Maggie is pregnant, although I am a bit worried because the last person to give birth on The Walking Dead died and there was that Lori reference in tonight's episode, which doesn't bode well for Maggie. I hope Denise brushes up on her OBGYN skills, because Maggie's going to need her when the time comes.

Back at Alexandria, Rick deals with the fact that Morgan let a few wolves escape and questions whether Morgan's "all life is precious" mantra could potentially be their undoing. In fact, Morgan's inaction almost got Rick killed and unbeknownst to the rest of the survivors, he still has one of the wolves captured in one of the houses. Rick also deals with Spencer's feat of stupidity when he attempts to escape via grappling hook over the horde of walkers. He chastises Tara for coming to Spencer's rescue and then reprimands him for his daring attempt. He also takes the time to train Ron on how to use a gun and defend himself but that may be his undoing. Ron stole some bullets and has already made it clear how much he doesn't like Carl.

Glenn's symbol of hope quickly turned dark as one of the exterior towers came crashing down into Alexandria bringing down several of its walls allowing the horde of walkers entry into the town. With that, the episode ended but not before the viewers were left with three cliffhangers:
1.Will Carol discover Morgan's dirty little secret? How will she react?
2.Will Ron shoot Carl? How will Rick react? Will he blame himself and lose his shit?
3.Will Alexandria survive the walker horde? Will they be able to rebuild or will they be forced to run?

Next week is the mid-season finale and it's bound to be a good one.

What did you think of tonight's episode? Talk the Walk!

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't watched tonight's episode of The Walking Dead, don't read any further!

Rejoice! After weeks of "is he?" or "isn't he?" Tonight's opening minutes of The Walking Dead finally revealed that Glenn survived his encounter with the walker horde four episodes prior. It took me a while to understand the motivation of the writers to keep the audience in the dark about Glenn's "death" because they wanted us to feel what the characters felt. We processed his death, mourned him, and went through all the motions of uncertainty with them. The idea of uncertainty is a constant reality for the survivors because anytime one of them leaves on a mission outside the confines of safety there will always be a notion that they might not return. Glenn's survival proves that there is still humanity left on the show, despite the post-apocalypse. Glenn represents that as he's the everyman and the only person who has not murdered any human in the show's six season run. I, for one, am glad that Glenn survived, and I was even more thrilled to see Maggie's reaction to the green balloons. She got her sign that Glenn is alive, but I hope they are reunited soon so that he can learn that he's about to become a father.

Speaking of parenting, Enid returned and helped a severely dehydrated Glenn by supplying him with water before taking off. Throughout the entire episode, Glenn tried to convince Enid to return with him to Alexandria. Glenn was able to see that Enid was in emotional turmoil due to the loss of her parents and did not want to accept that Alexandria was "home." He eventually convinced the youngin to live, right before they sent the signal of hope to Alexandria. I also liked the foreshadowing of Glenn as a father in his pseudo-parenting of Enid, even though I'm still not convinced that she is not a wolf in disguise. I can't wait to see Glenn's parenting skills in action when he discovers that Maggie is pregnant, although I am a bit worried because the last person to give birth on The Walking Dead died and there was that Lori reference in tonight's episode, which doesn't bode well for Maggie. I hope Denise brushes up on her OBGYN skills, because Maggie's going to need her when the time comes.

Back at Alexandria, Rick deals with the fact that Morgan let a few wolves escape and questions whether Morgan's "all life is precious" mantra could potentially be their undoing. In fact, Morgan's inaction almost got Rick killed and unbeknownst to the rest of the survivors, he still has one of the wolves captured in one of the houses. Rick also deals with Spencer's feat of stupidity when he attempts to escape via grappling hook over the horde of walkers. He chastises Tara for coming to Spencer's rescue and then reprimands him for his daring attempt. He also takes the time to train Ron on how to use a gun and defend himself but that may be his undoing. Ron stole some bullets and has already made it clear how much he doesn't like Carl.

Glenn's symbol of hope quickly turned dark as one of the exterior towers came crashing down into Alexandria bringing down several of its walls allowing the horde of walkers entry into the town. With that, the episode ended but not before the viewers were left with three cliffhangers:
1.Will Carol discover Morgan's dirty little secret? How will she react?
2.Will Ron shoot Carl? How will Rick react? Will he blame himself and lose his shit?
3.Will Alexandria survive the walker horde? Will they be able to rebuild or will they be forced to run?

Next week is the mid-season finale and it's bound to be a good one.

What did you think of tonight's episode? Talk the Walk!
i thought "heads up" was a great bounce back episode from the forgettable "always accountable.."

i was fooled by glenn's apparent death scene.. when the camera was high above him, it looked to me like he was the one getting gutted.. & that moment i remember thinking wow, they really did kill off glenn after all.. but when the ground level camera angle showed it was nicholas' guts being eaten i was relieved.. the scene worked better for me than i thought it would.. the walkers were completely focused on nicholas' innards & that gave glenn just enough time to get under the dumpster.. LOLz i'll suspend my disbelief on why the walkers that were trying to grab glenn gave up..

i liked how the impending "talk" rick let morgan know would happen ended up including carol & michone.. i thought the omission of mentioning they would be there drove home that rick wants morgan to know this is all about the survival of his family & inner circle..

i disagree with morgan's black & white position on "killing" in the walker apocalypse but i thought he defended his point of view well.. man lennie james is a great actor!!

season 6 just might be on pace to beat out season 2 & 5 for my all-time favorite!!

as far as your questions;

1. yes, i believe carol will discover morgan has a pet wolf & react badly..

2. if ron shoots carl, rick will also react badly, blame himself & kill ron as well.. if so, the rick & jessie thing (obviously) ain't happening.. BTW, they completely reenacted the scene where was rick stalking pete, with ron stalking carl..

3. i can see alexandria going the way of hershel's farm or maybe the fallen tower creates enough of a barricade the walkers won't be able to swarm in..

Last edited:

Bigmoe

Happily Confused
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
So we still don't know about the blood coming thru the wall?
We all knew Glenn was alive
He has an upcoming date with Lucille
Yea , Carol evens the score with that lone wolf.
Mid season finale , someone goes bye bye, can't believe it would be Carl, but that would continue the line of Ricks Decisions and the consequences that follow.
Who did it, and how did the tower fall.....Negan?
A lot to be left for all to discuss after next weeks cliffhanger

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
So we still don't know about the blood coming thru the wall?
We all knew Glenn was alive
He has an upcoming date with Lucille
Yea , Carol evens the score with that lone wolf.
Mid season finale , someone goes bye bye, can't believe it would be Carl, but that would continue the line of Ricks Decisions and the consequences that follow.
Who did it, and how did the tower fall.....Negan?
A lot to be left for all to discuss after next weeks cliffhanger
well negan is confirmed..

jeffrey dean morgan..

I like the choice.. a lot .. he was the twisted "comedian" in the "watchmen" (super hero DC comics storyline turned into a big budget movie) & i confident he can pull this off!!

thoughts..

Bigmoe

Happily Confused
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Yup , rumor has it he shows up in season 6 finale
Looks like a great choice
Guess Glenn hangs around the rest of this season until " batters up " next year
Someone's got to go this year , ?

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
Yup , rumor has it he shows up in season 6 finale
Looks like a great choice
Guess Glenn hangs around the rest of this season until " batters up " next year
Someone's got to go this year , ?
i can see a second tier character getting killed off, especially if glenn is destined to a "homerun.."