Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Defensive EndDefensive TackleDefensive TackleDefensive End
John Franklin MyersFolorunso FatukasiQuinnen WilliamsCarl Lawson
Jabari ZunigaNathan SheperdSheldon RankinsBryce Huff
Ronald BlairJonathan MarshallFreedom AkinmoladunShaq Lawson
Vinny CurryTanzel SmartHamilcar Rashed Jr.

we know three things or lets say we know three players that will be here next year:

Bryce Huff under contract and has shown flashes of potential and growth over his first two seasons...
Quinnen Williams is the anchor on the interior of this 4-3 defense...
John Franklin Myers was extended mid season, but he is locked up for the foreseeable future...

we know that Carl Lawson is under contract but his health status suggests he could return next season but no guarantees...

we know that Sheldon Rankins originally signed a two year deal but not guaranteed so he could be released after this season...

we acquired Shaq Lawson had a reasonable 2021 salary of $1.46 M... but his contract had two years left and his 2022 salary which is non guaranteed is for $9 M, sorry he is not worth that money... restructure to lower it or release him and try to re-sign at a more affordable contract...

rookie Jonathan Marshall has shown little in his rookie season but was drafted as a project player... will likely be on the off season roster to end up possibly on the practice squad next year...

Jabari Zuniga on the practice squad this year, he could earn an active roster spot for next year with his improved play when he was called up this year... He is still raw but with upside... Three teams were noted to try to sign him off our practice squad this year but he chose to stay with the Jets...

Ronnie Blair a veteran edge rusher that has excelled when called upon, could return on the practice squad next season to continue to be that called up support throughout the year...

Tanzel Smart like Ronnie Blair could end up on the practice squad next year...

Vinny Curry unfortunate what happened to him I am unsure about if he makes the roster next year but is under contract for 2022...

Hamilcar Rashed Jr. entering next year may unseat someone for an active roster spot. He is raw but he can polish his technique he could take the next step...

Nathan Sheperd is one of the players fans want to move on from, but he has shown good as much as he shown bad... I doubt he returns with a new contract...

Folorunso Fatukasi is a fan favorite BUT I think they draft his replacement... He has that run stuffing ability but this defensive line responsibilities have been off railed by covid and injuries... Playing time percentage and who or when certain players are on the field they are underperforming... Is there a roster spot for him, is the main question?

My view on the defensive line is just: Believe they need to keep 6 interior defensive linemen to keep the rotation fresh... I also feel we need at least 3 defensive ends with max 5... Depending on stamina, talent and durability we can get away with 3 as long as we have 3 or 4 on the practice squad to call up every week or bi weekly...

Understanding this topic is about the Defensive Line and lets keep it that way...

Seaver41

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
what about the ODU kid Ward they claimed off KC practice squad this year - had snaps vs Jags Sunday.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
what about the ODU kid Ward they claimed off KC practice squad this year - had snaps vs Jags Sunday.
did he? he is very very very raw only saw snaps because of all the covid cases needed bodies...
if anything he goes on the practice squad... he would be considered an ERFA at best affordable tryout this summer...

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
DE...
Hopefully Zuniga pans out like Huff has; then we already have 3 DE's "if" Lawson comes back strong.
Hamilcar Rashed Jr. has tons of potential.
I really like Sam Williams, and hopefully he drops to a place we can nab him.

DT...
Q is Q. But he needs more production from his interior mates; hence, move JFM back inside.
Marshall plays with a motor, and that means at worst, you have a guy who will make effort plays.
Lots of 3rd and 4th round talent this year to fill up spots in a plug and play position.

i wouldn't be hurt to see all of the aforementioned linemen not named in this post replaced.