Dan reviewing one play of Zach Wilson vs Texans

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
After listening to DO about 10 times, he makes no sense.

if the QB is supposed to pivot to the DE and fake the toss across his body, then the belly stuff makes no sense...the DE is literally looking at his chest, and sees the ball extended or bellied. they are literally facing each other. to belly the ball pivoting to that DE screams "I'm keeping it, because I can't toss it from my belly."

that's not to say Zach may have pivoted the wrong way:unsure: as he should have been showing his back to the DE. then the belly thing makes a bit more sense to hide the ball?

but then again, we aren't talking about an offset "I" like when Chad completely turned his back to the D after getting close to the RB and faking "a handoff".

we're talking about a fake sweep...you have to show it, extend it, and hope the DE bites, because he is left unblocked.
Give Kudos to the DE for not biting.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
one step further...if he wants to give Zach some of the insight that made him the SB Winning, All Pro, MVP that he wasn't, he should have excoriated him for being too quick to leave #86 as an option.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
D.O. is right Zach is not technical enough to fake the toss at the same time he doesn't have the surrounding cast to sell those fakes...

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
WADR, totally disagree...not about Zach, but DO.

1.) you cannot sell a toss one way by "bellying" the ball facing the DE you're supposed to freeze the other way...it makes no sense at all. The DE is looking at the ball. what am i missing?

2.) to take the jab step with the left and still spin to the right is playing a game of NFL Twister...#2 ends up on his @$$. Seriously, give it a try, but make sure your couch is behind you ;)

i am totally down with him if he says Zach made the wrong pivot...#8 and the line are flowing left, but he pivots right; awkward.
showing his back to the DE is a stronger sell of the fake by pivoting with the formation...

if the wrong pivot is on Zach, crucify him for that. if the pivot was correct, roast LaFleur.

but at the end of the day, he had the whole defensive box going with #8, with the exception of the one DE who stayed home.
having said that, it makes me wonder if #86 was supposed to chip said DE before falling into the soft spot of the zone?
* that keeps the DE off of #82, and gives #2 a chance to (1.) get set, and (2.) to come back to #86 "or" (3.) hit #82 with a shovel, or (4.) if you notice #23, he is actually running into the EZ behind #86...had the DE been chipped and Zach could plant, he's open...wide open.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
1) if he properly had the ball up higher he could of while pivoting properly concealed the ball for a second and as a QB all you need is that second for them to look over to fake them on a rollout but if the defender in this case DE can see the ball the whole time he is not going to be faked out...

2) if done properly not only is the DE out of position but then there are two open options for Zach to throw to but we also know he can not throw that short shit anyway... it takes one, two seconds to freeze a defender all you need to open a window at this level...

being a former quarterback footwork is key from under center or in shotgun especially in RPO situations... Defenders are taught to watch the feet, to watch the ball placement a lot of quarterbacks are lazy with their ball security...

but end of the day I am not in the mood to discuss Dan Orlovsky's shit point of view the guy that ran out of the back of the endzone for that safety is speaking like he knows football but in this case he was correct...