Greatest Song Lines

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
my candidate for top prize:

"A flower?"

NOTE:
No line connected in any way to Stairway is eligible on the basis that he never tells you if you need to be alarmed if there's a bustle in your hedgerow if it isn't spring

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
I always considered Chuck Berry a poet! Terrific! Chess Records.
"Gonna Write a little letter and mail it to my local Dee Jay"

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
I always considered Chuck Berry a poet! Terrific! Chess Records.
"Gonna Write a little letter and mail it to my local Dee Jay"
Have you seen Taylor Hackford's film on Chuck Berry, "Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll"? It's incredible. In it, the great Roy Orbison echos your opinion of Chuck as a poet:

"He's the first singer-songwriter I know of. There were others, but, not with that much rhythm and that much - the way the lyrics rolled off the tongue. The way they stabbed. The way they cut. And the the way sort of seemed to lay there with the drums, all the lyric. It's just a free form expression. And he did the same thing with the guitar that he did with his voice and his writing."

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
A lyric/song so good a certain band named themselves after it:

"Well, my mother told my father just before hmmm, I was born
I got a boy child's comin', gonna be, he's going to be a rolling stone". Muddy Waters, "Rollin' Stone".

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Have you seen Taylor Hackford's film on Chuck Berry, "Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll"? It's incredible. In it, the great Roy Orbison echos your opinion of Chuck as a poet:

"He's the first singer-songwriter I know of. There were others, but, not with that much rhythm and that much - the way the lyrics rolled off the tongue. The way they stabbed. The way they cut. And the the way sort of seemed to lay there with the drums, all the lyric. It's just a free form expression. And he did the same thing with the guitar that he did with his voice and his writing."
My first memory of Chuck Berry, ? I was possibly in junior high. Johnny B. Goode.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
My first memory of Chuck Berry, ? I was possibly in junior high. Johnny B. Goode.
Great memory. A big accomplishment for me was when I learned to play "Johnny B..." on my guitar as a teen. My first attempts at those cool sounding double stops and slurs. The song which launched rock & roll into the mainstream.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
For @butterscotch: "And the lamb lies down on Broadway. On Broadway". Peter Gabriel, Genesis, "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".

... or the entirety of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England, and Lamb, impossible to choose

also anything ever done by Peter Sinfield (earlier Crimson) and Keith Reid in his darker moods

there was also some guy named Zimmerman, you know the one who did Ballad of a Thin Man

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
... or the entirety of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England, and Lamb, impossible to choose

also anything ever done by Peter Sinfield (earlier Crimson) and Keith Reid in his darker moods

there was also some guy named Zimmerman, you know the one who did Ballad of a Thin Man
That Zimmerman dude wrote this a while back. Hope he made something of himself.

"And every one of them words rang true
And glowed like burning coal
Pouring off of every page
Like it was written in my soul, from me to you
Tangled up in blue"

Bob Dylan, "Tangled Up in Blue".

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Wow another YES for sure

For many years, especially I when working and had to go somewhere or do something that was unpleasant, I would invariably and almost subconciously hum to myself, "you gotta get in to get out (ou ou ou out)" and it would help so maybe a few points for THAT one

Mrs Fud says that if you are using Gabriel that you have to consider "You just can't jump, your shirt's all dirty, there's a man here from the BBC"

Growing up, I never thought it would happen but no one seems to mention J. Winston Lennon anymore as a great lyricist. Walrus and Across the Universe were astounding for his era

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Guess the censors at the time were not familiar with black slang.

"Good Golly Miss Molly, sure like to ball
Oooh, Good Golly Miss Molly, sure like to ball
When you're rockin' and a-rollin'
Can't hear your mama call"

Little Richard. "Good Golly Miss Molly".
Atco Records.....Coasters, Bobby Darin, Olympics, and more. Division of Atlantic Records.