Indians

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
The Cleveland baseball club were part of the inaugural American League season in 1901. Known as the Blues in that year and Broncos later they changed the name the Naps after their best player, Napoleon Lajoie. Prior this franchise, there was a National League team called the Cleveland Spiders. One of their players was Native American, Louis Soxalexis.

When the Naps changed their name to the Indians in 1915, the franchise reportedly did so to honor Sockalexis. The Indians' official media guide says that the owners solicited sportswriters to ask fans for their favorite nickname, and the name Indians was chosen by a young girl who wrote to one of the sportswriters whose column requested suggestions. She specifically mentioned Sockalexis and his heritage.

So I guess that is sufficient honoring then

Wiki help here of course

I like the idea of renaming the team after the star player. How about New York Macs?

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
The Cleveland baseball club were part of the inaugural American League season in 1901. Known as the Blues in that year and Broncos later they changed the name the Naps after their best player, Napoleon Lajoie. Prior this franchise, there was a National League team called the Cleveland Spiders. One of their players was Native American, Louis Soxalexis.

When the Naps changed their name to the Indians in 1915, the franchise reportedly did so to honor Sockalexis. The Indians' official media guide says that the owners solicited sportswriters to ask fans for their favorite nickname, and the name Indians was chosen by a young girl who wrote to one of the sportswriters whose column requested suggestions. She specifically mentioned Sockalexis and his heritage.

So I guess that is sufficient honoring then

Wiki help here of course

I like the idea of renaming the team after the star player. How about New York Macs?
Sockalexis was introduced to alcohol by teammates & became an alcoholic almost overnight. He only played three years because of this. Very sad story. It would be a mistake to change the name imo. That story is heard often with Jet fans. It just takes one year.

beresford

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Such a shame, 100 years of history. As I said when the Redskins succumbed, the Woke brigade will be going after them all. Will it be the Braves or the Chiefs next? And then they will complain that American sports are racist because Native Americans are not represented.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
"Yankee" is used as an insult or put down by southerners for anyone in the northeast. Some people say that it is the Dutch name for theif. I have had the pleasure of hearing this virtually spit in my face many times in the deep south and rural Texas.
The name is offensive to me. They need to change it

"Reds" connote communists. We have been told that they are our enemy and a threat to our society.
The name is offensive to me. They need to change it.

"Dolphins" are smarter that all the people my wife's siblings married. Their existance makes me feel bad.

"Knicks" remind me of the annoyance of shaving with a dull razor.

"Chargers" remind us of personal over leverage causing all sorts of havoc in our economy.

"Canadians" brings up the fact that their money is prettier and the people are generally nicer than in the US.

"Pirates" are bad guys who loot, pillage and as "Arr" alot.

"Rams" reminds me that I have been rear ended three tines in three years by people texting, almost totalling the car the last time.

"Football Club" reminds me that the Jets are on the way to 0-16 and that makes me feel bad.

Names that are acceptable:
"Patriots" thank you for your service
"Twins" reminds ... uh, we'll skip this one, Mrs. Fud may see it
"Bengals" LGBTQ is in vogue
"Jets" take you to exotic places and wonderful vacations
"Rangers" are special soldiers with amazing skills, also turned out to be the King in LOTR
"Mets" was what was on Jesse's shirt when he fell on his knees and threw that glove up in the air

.. and it goes on and on

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
"Yankee" is used as an insult or put down by southerners for anyone in the northeast. Some people say that it is the Dutch name for theif. I have had the pleasure of hearing this virtually spit in my face many times in the deep south and rural Texas.
The response is to ask them WHY somebody would want to kick s**t.

Later