Jameis Winston Perfect Fit For Jets

F

flgreen

Why Jameis Winston would be a perfect fit for Jets next season
By Kevin KernanNovember 29, 2014 | 1:03am

Hopefully, the Jets’ starting quarterback next season is now at Florida State — Jameis Winston.
All you really need to know about Geno Smith and the faith his teammates have in him was uttered by linebacker Calvin Pace on Friday.

After Pace said he believed in Geno, he was asked why he believes in the young quarterback who got his starting job handed back to him this week, now that the season is officially a lost cause.

“I really don’t have a choice,’’ Pace said.

Give the man credit for being honest.

Jets fans don’t have a choice, either.

Coach Rex Ryan had no choice. This team was going nowhere with Michael Vick, who did not practice Friday because he was sick. Interesting timing, don’t you think?

It’s Geno or bust now and bust is not a bad thing if it brings Winston to the Jets in the next draft. That’s exactly what Jets fans should be rooting for — that the team continues to lose Monday night at MetLife Stadium against the Dolphins and winds up picking Winston in the draft, despite his heavy baggage.

Winston’s issues might get him ready for the dysfunctional world of being a Jet.

After all, when you’re a Jet, you’re a Jet all the way.

For all his troubles off the field, on the field Winston has proven to be a leader.

Winston is big and strong in a Ben Roethlisberger kind of way, and keeps his composure on the field — for the most part. Character counts in a big way in football, and the hope is Winston has learned from his many mistakes and terrible decisions and that his character improves, but like everything else in the NFL, this is a football decision. It always comes down to football.

Oregon’s Marcus Mariota is well ahead of Winston in the character department, he has a cleaner release and is the better runner, but the NFL upside on Winston is higher, I believe. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, Winston can take a hit and can hang in the pocket to really deliver the ball.

Mariota is 6-foot-4, 219 pounds, but Winston is a beast.

Nevertheless, either quarterback is so much better than what the Jets have now.

Winston has arm strength similar to Andrew Luck’s. He is a difference maker. The Jets need a difference maker.

Ryan has had to go through the development of Mark Sanchez, who is getting the last laugh with the Eagles, and now Smith, but Rex doesn’t figure to be around next season, so the next young Jets quarterback will be someone else’s problem.

If Winston doesn’t change his ways, he could become the next Ryan Leaf, the ultimate quarterback draft bust, but I believe he has much more talent and self-confidence than Leaf ever had when he was drafted by the Chargers with the second pick in 1998. The Colts took Peyton Manning No. 1.

Winston has worked extensively with quarterback guru George Whitfield Jr., and that is a big plus.
As for Smith, the Jets are handing him the job back only because they are 2-9.

The Jets have nothing to lose and losing helps them in the big draft picture. Of course, general manager John Idzik has failed miserably in the draft.

Winston is a huge risk, but a risk worth taking if the Jets are ever going to fill this quarterback sinkhole.

For his part, Smith said he feels a lot better the second time around at quarterback this season.

“Just an overall understanding of the game, our offense, everything,’’ he said after Friday’s practice. “But, obviously, you’ve got to go out there and prove it on the field.’’

Prove it to yourself, the fans and, most of all, to your teammates or your next team.

The Jets must move forward and snare a new quarterback in the draft. Winston and Mariota will be out there waiting. But the Jets need to take a chance on Winston.

Go for the Garnet and Gold and finally, put your quarterback problems behind you.

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I am so damn nervous for this draft. Whoever we pick, we'll need to hit on and he needs to pan out. How confident are you that Winston will be successful?

U

ucrenegade

not if we ever want to change this culture. We need to start making the right picks.

We don't know what kind of coach we will have our his style hell might not even know what are oc's style is assuming marty gets canned. Why not go with someone like mariotta who is not going to make waves.

F

flgreen

I am so damn nervous for this draft. Whoever we pick, we'll need to hit on and he needs to pan out. How confident are you that Winston will be successful?

How confident am I that Winston won't go bust? If I could answer that I would be making millions as an NFL GM LOL. Any QB can go bust, and any QB drafted in the 6th round can turn out to be a lock HOF'er. I'm good with either Mariota, or Winston, but in all honesty I'm more concerned about Mariota going bust then Winston because of the offense he plays in. Tough transition.

IMO Winston has the upside to be a top 5 QB in the NFL. He has the tools, and the leadership in the locker room. he also seems to be a magnet for trouble, and like you I am very nervous about this draft. 1) that the Jets will pass on Winston because of PC issues, and he turns out to be a star. 2) They trade up for Mariota, and he can't adjust his game to the NFL. With the way things go for the Jets .....Well you know.

It's really to early to go all in backing either QB. I'll wait for the playoffs to finish. Not so much how their teams do, but how the QB's personally do in the spot light, with big pressure on. So far Winston has done excellent under those conditions. What is it now FSU has won, 29 straight? This is painful to say being a Canes fan and all. LOL

That's why I love NCAA. The Jets suck, and I really can't get excited about a win, even against the Fish, but today's going to be a fun day.

3:30 FSU and Florida

7:00 Canes and Pitt.

Have to go out now and get the beer and the wings to have my wife turn into delicious hot wings LOL

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Great post! If there is a like feature, I'd like it (working on this for tomorrow). All great points.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
He is perfect because he throws INT's. Two already today!! Give me Cooper. None of the QB's available are worth a high pick.

F

flgreen

Wow, 4 picks!

Yep Winston was very, very bad today. I've seen him play about 15 times, and this is by far the worst he's played.

I'm glad they won though, I really want to see how Winston does in the playoffs.

Well off to the Canes game which has started off very badly for me. Think Pitt scored a TD in like 2 plays

Kentucky Jet

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics

I am skeptical of Winston and his interception problems. He has great physical attributes but so did Ryan Leaf! His immaturity could also cause problems in NY. Maritoa is very cool and unflappable. Both have excellent arms and Mariota runs much better. Its going to be a tough choice if both are there when we pick. There is no denying that Winston has had a stellar cast surrounding him at FSU. How would he do with inferior talent surrounding him?

T

thesilvermind

this! I dont see either QB as a franchise type and I hope we dont grab a QB because everyone says we need to. This team has more holes to fill and reaching for a bust isnt the answer. A veteran QB could come in and hold the fort for a year while we build a foundation. After watching BIlls game the lack of speed and playmakers on this roster is glaring. Our OLine is fading, we still have no threat at WR, we need a speedy 3rd down back, our secondary is bad, our LB are very slow and pedestrian and we lack an elite edge pass rusher. Reaching for a QB is not an option

J

Jetsbro28

Winston will be a disaster. He will be a bust wherever he goes, especially here. Cooper or Mariota I'll be happy

F

FTL Jet Fan

Winston will be a disaster. He will be a bust wherever he goes, especially here. Cooper or Mariota I'll be happy

I agree Winston scares me especially as a top 3 pick. I would rateher take a chance on Mariota, would be extremely happy with Cooper. What scares me even more is Idzik will be making the pick. I don't think Idzik would take Winston he has always preached character.

Batmans a Scientist

Day 3 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
I know Florida State is 11-0 but Winston has been pretty poor most of the season. If he wasn't hyped as the top guy going in I'm not convinced he'd be considered a top guy now. He makes a ton of mistakes with the ball.

Xmarco

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Jameis Winston

CAREER STATS
SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP%. YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR. ADJ QBR
2014 255 392 3250 65.1 8.29 68 21 17 15 143.7 63.5 73.9
2013 257 384 4057 66.9. 10.57 94 40 10 27 184.8 87.0 89.4

Granted INTs up but his WRs & RBs are not what he had last year and he is carrying this team...Dude is a Stud...name a QB from Oregon that has had any success in the NFL...like the B1G TEN RB

F

flgreen

Winston is off a horrible game on National TV, this will for sure hurt him, for the moment at least. The playoffs start shortly, it will be very interesting to see how he reacts to this very bad outing against good teams.

Right now Mariota is hands down the top pick in the draft after his performance yesterday.

This is going to be a fun playoffs

J

Jetsbro28

Your right because Florida State has produced awesome Qb's over the years.. Ponder, Manuel, Charlie Ward.... SMH
Jameis Winston

CAREER STATS
SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP%. YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR. ADJ QBR
2014 255 392 3250 65.1 8.29 68 21 17 15 143.7 63.5 73.9
2013 257 384 4057 66.9. 10.57 94 40 10 27 184.8 87.0 89.4

Granted INTs up but his WRs & RBs are not what he had last year and he is carrying this team...Dude is a Stud...name a QB from Oregon that has had any success in the NFL...like the B1G TEN RB

Xmarco

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Your right because Florida State has produced awesome Qb's over the years.. Ponder, Manuel, Charlie Ward.... SMH

Harrington, Dixon, Feeley, Akili Smith, Clemons
Ponder & Manuel were over drafted but still playing/learning...Ward never got shot since teams didn't know how to use DangerRuss b4 their was a DangeRuss...

J

Jetsbro28

Harrington, Dixon, Feeley, Akili Smith, Clemons
Ponder & Manuel were over drafted but still playing/learning...Ward never got shot since teams didn't know how to use DangerRuss b4 their was a DangeRuss...
I just think Mariota is the better prospect regardless of school or that offensive system he is in. Too many questions about Winston with his off the field garbage, especially in NYC. The fact of the matter is drafting a QB is a crapshoot. Hardest position to evaluate coming out of college. And you know the Jets will pick the wrong guy whoever it is.We have only been searching for one since Namath.. Your right though Charlie was nasty in college