Maye would reportedly "welcome a move to a contender."

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Nearly 15 months ago, Jets general manager Joe Douglas traded Jamal Adams to the Seahawks. Now, another of his high-priced safeties prefers a similar fate. With no long-term contract in sight, fifth-year veteran Marcus Maye would welcome a trade to a contender ahead of 2021's in-season deadline on Nov. 2. That's according to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, who reported this week that the former second-round pick is a "prime player to watch" as the deadline approaches.

Playing under the franchise tag this year, the 28-year-old Maye will make $10.6 million through 2021, giving him nearly a top-10 salary at his position. But he and the Jets have reportedly struggled to come close to a long-term extension, as was the case with Adams, his former fellow safety, leading to speculation of a potential trade. Unlike Adams, who was a two-time All-Pro at the time of his deal -- netting the Jets a package of picks that included two first-rounders -- Maye doesn't boast a Pro Bowl resume but has been a steady presence at the back end of New York's secondary for the past four-plus years.

Maye logged a career-high 88 tackles in 16 starts for the Jets in 2020 and has contributed as a pass rusher this year, with two tackles for loss and one sack through five games. He's intercepted six total passes since entering the NFL.

According to Fowler, the Buccaneers and Rams could be among suitors for Maye, should Douglas listen to offers ahead of the deadline. Todd Bowles, who oversees Tampa Bay's defense, coached Maye in New York and could be hungry for help in a banged-up secondary. Los Angeles, meanwhile, has always been aggressive about veteran additions and could be looking for its own added depth for a potential playoff run.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
2 2nd round picks the right team...

he is a starter that can plug in day one after a trade...

Joe Douglas may try to seek a 1st to contending team... And might just get it...

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
at some point we need to pay/keep some talent and stop drafting and putting all rookies out there. I'm not saying Maye needs to get big bucks, but Trader Joe doesn't seem interested in signing another above basement bargain deals

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Maye's agent started this mess, now the Jets would be better served dealing him...

Now as much as the agent is at fault, guarantee Maye is pulling the strings...

I don't want a DUI, leaving the scene of an accident player on this team...

Fuck him, fuck his agent, fuck all these players thinking they can do whatever they want and still play the game of football like they are above the law and humanity...

I am tired of seeing these assholes have a disregard for life and the integrity of the game...

So if we get a bag of shit for him, to me it is a win...

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
Fuck him, fuck his agent, fuck all these players thinking they can do whatever they want and still play the game of football like they are above the law and humanity...

I'll take a cheerleader instead if I may.

I have been saying this for years a bunch of babies

Greentilldeath

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Ship the guy out . He doesn’t want to be here and isn’t buying in …. I’d take a 2 and 3 or a pair of 2’s . You ain’t getting a 1 for Maye. He isn’t that good

beresford

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
We can't keep doing this. Draft picks that are busts are all ours to keep, and draft picks that pan out are traded to a 'contender' in return for more draft picks. I suppose if Becton ever puts in a complete season of work then HE'LL want to go to a 'contender' as well. Are we a legitimate franchise or are we a AAA team for the rest of the NFL.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Ship the guy out . He doesn’t want to be here and isn’t buying in …. I’d take a 2 and 3 or a pair of 2’s . You ain’t getting a 1 for Maye. He isn’t that good
I haven't seen this at all. Outside of his DUI incident he has been a team guy and always producing on the field. Unless we are going with the assumption that he isn't really hurt right now and is holding himself out to be traded, then I really can't throw any shade on the guy.

He has been a solid player and even embraced being thrown at SS to cover up for trading away Adams when he is clearly a FS and more comfortable there.

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Uh oh...Houston, we have a problem. I've seen enough of pro sports to know Maye is now"damaged goods", Jet-wise.
He entered this season as the main man in the secondary, now he is the paper tiger.
In the blink of an eye, he wants out, he will be disinterested and ineffectual.
Show him the "Green Door" with apologies to Jim Lowe.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
he and his agent did not play this one well.
he should have taken the deal Joe made him.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
he and his agent did not play this one well.
he should have taken the deal Joe made him.
could or should of taken the deal and then could of negotiated incentive additions but he didn't and as of now goodbye, good riddance...

McJet

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
We can't keep doing this. Draft picks that are busts are all ours to keep, and draft picks that pan out are traded to a 'contender' in return for more draft picks. I suppose if Becton ever puts in a complete season of work then HE'LL want to go to a 'contender' as well. Are we a legitimate franchise or are we a AAA team for the rest of the NFL.

I’ll say this, when Jamal was shipped out, he had a great year for a safety, blitzing, not so much in coverage. Yet, he wanted to be paid as the top or one of the top defensive players in the league. Then went scorched earth when JD didn’t budge.
Maye, who is a good safety, but not top 3 in the NFL wants top safety money, which he is not. Not yet anyway.
If Bechton lives up to his billing, at the position he plays, then I’m sure JD and the Jets will cough up the dough.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Maye is a top 10 safety and will be paid as one. Likely a 3 year deal with 2 guaranteed at signing.
If still playing well, may get the 3rd year or a one year deal elsewhere. Still sees him making at least 7-10 million more overall than if he had taken the Jets offer.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
I’ll say this, when Jamal was shipped out, he had a great year for a safety, blitzing, not so much in coverage. Yet, he wanted to be paid as the top or one of the top defensive players in the league. Then went scorched earth when JD didn’t budge.
Maye, who is a good safety, but not top 3 in the NFL wants top safety money, which he is not. Not yet anyway.
If Bechton lives up to his billing, at the position he plays, then I’m sure JD and the Jets will cough up the dough.
Dough yes Becton will sign for extra doughnuts as an incentive

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
AAA team for rest of league. silly question. Geez