Offensive Tackle Rankings

Namath12

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Pro Football Focus has Andrew Thomas as its top rated OT. Josh Jones is #4, one notch higher than Becton. Numbers 6-10 are Bartch , Cleveland, Driscoll, Jackson and Peart.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
This is my Top 10 List:
  1. Andrew Thomas (L)
  2. Mekhi Becton (L)
  3. Josh Jones (L)
  4. Jedrick Willis (R)
  5. Tristan Wirfs (R)
  6. Austin Jackson (L)
  7. Isaiah Wilson (L)
  8. Erza Cleveland (L)
  9. Prince Tego Wanogho (L)
  10. Matt Peart (L)

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
This is my Top 10 List:
  1. Andrew Thomas (L)
  2. Mekhi Becton (L)
  3. Josh Jones (L)
  4. Jedrick Willis (R)
  5. Tristan Wirfs (R)
  6. Austin Jackson (L)
  7. Isaiah Wilson (L)
  8. Erza Cleveland (L)
  9. Prince Tego Wanogho (L)
  10. Matt Peart (L)

I think I'd probably be happy with any one of these guys even though I agree with this order. One of these guys and a top receiver would go a long ways towards strengthening our offense.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I think I'd probably be happy with any one of these guys even though I agree with this order. One of these guys and a top receiver would go a long ways towards strengthening our offense.
as much as I wanted Andrew Thomas, the real question is who does Joe Douglas want... I would be happy if we drafted the local Brooklyn NY prospect Isaiah Wilson also from Georgia... Austin Jackson is a close second on my list... We don't need to swing on a Right Tackle and hope he can convert to left side would be a true waste of time...

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
as much as I wanted Andrew Thomas, the real question is who does Joe Douglas want... I would be happy if we drafted the local Brooklyn NY prospect Isaiah Wilson also from Georgia... Austin Jackson is a close second on my list... We don't need to swing on a Right Tackle and hope he can convert to left side would be a true waste of time...

If they draft a right tackle I would think that they would use him there and expect, by expect I really mean they hope, that Fant can manage the left tackle position at least until they can come up with a long term solution at that position.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
If they draft a right tackle I would think that they would use him there and expect, by expect I really mean they hope, that Fant can manage the left tackle position at least until they can come up with a long term solution at that position.
I have little to no faith in Fant until he proves me otherwise...

that means if they don't find a future replacement in this draft then this draft will be an incomplete... as for right tackle we have enough bodies to hold down the fort even if they have to utilize several bodies in a game to do so in rotation...

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
I have little to no faith in Fant until he proves me otherwise...

that means if they don't find a future replacement in this draft then this draft will be an incomplete... as for right tackle we have enough bodies to hold down the fort even if they have to utilize several bodies in a game to do so in rotation...

We obviously both have the same reservations about Fant.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

I like the Fant signing because it frees them up to take the best tackle in either the first or second. They're not tied to having to go either with a RT or a LT.

Fant allows them to:

1. Draft a franchise LT and move Fant back to RT.
2. Draft a franchise RT and have Fant play LT until a new LT is taken for another year.
3. Draft a first round OT who can start at RT, but make the shift to LT after a year, in which case they release Fant (his deal is only one year of guarantted money), or after three years (the full term of Fant's deal).
4. Draft a developmental OT who can compete with Edoga for RT and be groomed to be the franchise LT.

The Fant move, while in all likelihood overpaying, gives the team tremendous flexibility at both tackle positions.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
I like the Fant signing because it frees them up to take the best tackle in either the first or second. They're not tied to having to go either with a RT or a LT.

Fant allows them to:

1. Draft a franchise LT and move Fant back to RT.
2. Draft a franchise RT and have Fant play LT until a new LT is taken for another year.
3. Draft a first round OT who can start at RT, but make the shift to LT after a year, in which case they release Fant (his deal is only one year of guarantted money), or after three years (the full term of Fant's deal).
4. Draft a developmental OT who can compete with Edoga for RT and be groomed to be the franchise LT.

The Fant move, while in all likelihood overpaying, gives the team tremendous flexibility at both tackle positions.

Agree, IF, Fant can deliver. I'm just not confident that he can. I hope he can.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Agree, IF, Fant can deliver. I'm just not confident that he can. I hope he can.

Absolutely. I don't know the answer to that. And that's part of the reason I am pleased that his contract can basically be turned into a one-year deal without major consequences.

If he doesn't pan out at LT OR if a drafted OT proves himself to be the franchise LT, the team can move on from Fant quite easily.

Again, flexibility. That seems to be a theme with Douglas' deals. Lots of flexibility.

AFA2017

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I am not sold on Becton. He had a bit of a problem trying to keep his weight down.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
The cleanest, highest floor guy is probably Thomas and would be a solid addition for years.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
The cleanest, highest floor guy is probably Thomas and would be a solid addition for years.

Andrew Thomas has some questionable negative issues that a team will face but all the prospects that are considered the top of the crop have some issues to longevity, fit and/or athleticism...

As for Thomas, he occasional leans, lunging and inconsistent knee bend in pass pro could be isolated and attacked by pass-rush wolves looking to feast if he doesn't get those areas cleaned up.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
I am not sold on Becton. He had a bit of a problem trying to keep his weight down.

Working at the NFL pace could help him with that. I don't see that as problematic as technique or personality problems.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Absolutely. I don't know the answer to that. And that's part of the reason I am pleased that his contract can basically be turned into a one-year deal without major consequences.

If he doesn't pan out at LT OR if a drafted OT proves himself to be the franchise LT, the team can move on from Fant quite easily.

Again, flexibility. That seems to be a theme with Douglas' deals. Lots of flexibility.

That's true and I think I am good with that.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Andrew Thomas has some questionable negative issues that a team will face but all the prospects that are considered the top of the crop have some issues to longevity, fit and/or athleticism...

Tweaks. Honestly, his technique is as solid as any OT in this draft, and it would be at or toward the top in most drafts. The issues mentioned are not persistent, and can be cleaned up.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Tweaks. Honestly, his technique is as solid as any OT in this draft, and it would be at or toward the top in most drafts. The issues mentioned are not persistent, and can be cleaned up.

no there are some better technically solid in this draft, it is not my statement or belief but from what I am reading around the web...

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
no there are some better technically solid in this draft, it is not my statement or belief but from what I am reading around the web...

I would have to see who it is saying what they're saying, and if they're actually OL people or the typical draft gurus who never, ever wore a helmet. Honestly, I really like his technique. You can pinpoint a few plays of any lineman and see him get overextended, or lean. It happens. But those are quite rare for Thomas.