Remembering Radio

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
For us older folk, radio was a most useful and infuential media. It was our internet in a way.

Sound out of a tiny speaker that couldn't handle any frequency below middle C, static if you moved to the wrong part of the room, very limited programming, it was great !

It was where you heard the Beatles for the first time, where you listened to Jets home games, Mets games under cover after bedtime (anyone else make the whole '68 24 inning game from Houston?), news about the disaster in town (still horrified) and best of all, for a very short time, yourself.

How about:

• WABC- All those great jocks (many of which are on Sirius at age 150 now). The year end top 100 where you would sit all day with a pad and paper to fill it in. Your friends would call to compare lists to fill in blanks. The exclusive Beatles Christmas songs
  • WMCA - The good guys. Bill Mazer's show, way ahead of it's time, hearing the devastating news that Ron Hunt was traded, top 40 rival of (and eventual loser to) WABC
  • WJRZ - The Mets out of Hackensack? Barely got on LI and as noted above, so many nights faking sleep with that little radio between your ear and the pillow. Anyone else wake up in the morning with WJRZ static in their ear?
  • WABC-FM (later WPLJ) - And our world changed forever. Long songs, guitar solos, Jimi, C'mon people smile on your brother, who knew Light My Fire had so much more (sludge) to it
  • WNEW-FM - And the world changed even more. King Biscuit Flower Hour (betcha BS would love to hear the Genesis show from the Foxtrot tour or the US introduction of Brand X), jocks playing what they want, all that underground stuff you would never have learned about. Finally, we get indoctrinated in album music rather than quick hit singles. Changed the way music was played as it opened up the possibilities of prog and fusion on main stream radio (for the one and only era that occurred). Allison Steel the Nightbird playing Aphrodite's Child (sigh)

How about this: Anyone ever buy an FM converter for their car?

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Back in the mid-60s, my uncle gave me a transistor radio with a leather cover/case. It's still one of the greatest--and most impactful--gifts I've ever received. The strap was always around my wrist or attached to my bike.

As you mention above, WABC and WMCA would saturate the market with all the hits of the day. Later, WNEW was my favorite, especially Scot-so's "Things From England" where you had exposure to the popular and obscure British rock bands. Also tons of live concerts broadcasts.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Just remembered WSOU, Seton Hall's "Pirate Radio". Just a fantastic station in the 80s playing every form of metal imaginable. Those college kids were really pushing the envelope and creating a must listen to station.

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Back in the mid-60s, my uncle gave me a transistor radio with a leather cover/case. It's still one of the greatest--and most impactful--gifts I've ever received. The strap was always around my wrist or attached to my bike.

As you mention above, WABC and WMCA would saturate the market with all the hits of the day. Later, WNEW was my favorite, especially Scot-so's "Things From England" where you had exposure to the popular and obscure British rock bands. Also tons of live concerts broadcasts.
I remember the WMCA Good Guy daytime lineup.
6-10 a.m. - Joe O'Brien
10-1 p.m- Harry Harrison
1-4 p.m.- Jack Spector
4-7 p.m - "Dandy" Dan Daniels
7-11 p.m. - B. Mitchell Reed
WMCA.gif

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Below was the best! Coined the phrase "Rock N' Roll", wrote the hit "Sincerely" for the Moonglows", and is a legend.
Alan Freed.jpg

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Wow. I did not know that Alan Freed wrote a hit ! (lucky bastard). Made me look him up, sad story. Also me me look up that you can buy
a replica of the good guy shirt. Now I gotta get one.

Bill Haley gets credit for the first rock song but Louie Jordan had him beat in 1949

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Below was the best! Coined the phrase "Rock N' Roll", wrote the hit "Sincerely" for the Moonglows", and is a legend.
View attachment 6249
Freed was before my time. All I ever knew of Freed was seeing films of him hosting rock shows and the payola scandal. Later heard his name in the T. Rex song, "Ballrooms of Mars".

"You talk about day
I'm talking 'bout night time
When the monsters call out
The names of men
Bob Dylan knows
And I bet Alan Freed did
There are things in night
That are better not to behold"

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Freed was before my time. All I ever knew of Freed was seeing films of him hosting rock shows and the payola scandal. Later heard his name in the T. Rex song, "Ballrooms of Mars".

"You talk about day
I'm talking 'bout night time
When the monsters call out
The names of men
Bob Dylan knows
And I bet Alan Freed did
There are things in night
That are better not to behold"
He was THE Man at WINS. Stan Z. Burns a fellow DJ, used to say, "This is Stan Z, sitting in for the King". Murray The K. claimed he was the Fifth Beatle. Not sure if they know who he was?
Freed died in prison at 43. Yes he took money for playing songs, who didn't?

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Bill Haley gets credit for the first rock song but Louie Jordan had him beat in 1949

Rock Around The Clock was the theme song for the 1956 movie "The Blackboard Jungle" . It was written in 1955.
In 1951, Alan Freed had a show in Cleveland called, "Moondog's Rock N' Roll Party".
A group in 1954, Billy Ward and His Dominoes became big in those days. You had Billy Ward, Jackie Wilson (15 y.o), Clyde McPhatter and Thurston Harris. All became stars as the record Stardust was revised by them and became a # 1 hit. In 1949, we were still in the Jazz Age calling it Be-Bop which Alan Freed called it Rock N' Roll.