Reports: Jets want Bilal Powell over Spiller

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Bilal Powell - RB - Jets
ESPN's Rich Cimini says the Jets' priority is to re-sign Bilal Powell over free agent C.J. Spiller.
The Jets were believed to be going hard after Spiller, so it's surprising to hear Powell holds more importance to them. Powell is expected to sign a deal with an annual salary between $1.6 million and $2 million. He's drawn favorable comparisons to Packers chain-mover James Starks.
Related: C.J. Spiller

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
neither CJ2k, Spiller, or Powell are under contract...so I would guess that would mean the jets want Powell to replace CJ2k over Spiller...

Jets31

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Powell needs a bigger role. I'd be fine with ivory and Powell if we can find a few good WRs and improve the oline

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Powell needs a bigger role. I'd be fine with ivory and Powell if we can find a few good WRs and improve the oline

Powell has done a respectable job as a secondary RB. He shows good vision and protects the ball well. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't keep him. He's not a home run hitter out of the backfield like CJ Spiller, but if the Jets land another well-above average WR to the mix, I could see passing on Spiller. And if they keep Harvin, too, then Spiller most certainly won't be coming here.

Sarge

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Powell reminds me of Emerson Boozer when he runs, so I hope he comes back

Jets31

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Powell has done a respectable job as a secondary RB. He shows good vision and protects the ball well. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't keep him. He's not a home run hitter out of the backfield like CJ Spiller, but if the Jets land another well-above average WR to the mix, I could see passing on Spiller. And if they keep Harvin, too, then Spiller most certainly won't be coming here.

I think that's the perfect argument. Re-sign Powell and keep Harvin. Then sign or draft a WR.

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
Maybe Jets got wind of what Spiller looking for in terms of money and Powell could be almost as good and cheaper..

Sarge

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Between Ivory and Powell, we could sign a street free agent and be okay at RB, we don't need to throw a ton of money at that postion

The Wicker Man

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Solidify the OL first, and we'll be fine with Ivory, resigning Powell...plus, we still have Richardson, right? He's a nice change a pace back and we can still draft a mid round rb.

On a side note, lets see what Murray does without the Boys OL in front of him.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
Solidify the OL first, and we'll be fine with Ivory, resigning Powell...plus, we still have Richardson, right? He's a nice change a pace back and we can still draft a mid round rb.

On a side note, lets see what Murray does without the Boys OL in front of him.

All good points.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
I agree with the above poster that said this might be in response to what Spiller's agent is actively seeking. It's smart not to overpay when there are ample options at the RB position in the NFL.

On a similar note, if CJ is not resigned and we don't add another FA RB besides Powell, take it to the bank that we will target someone in the draft. In Chan's offense we need a legit receiving threat out of the backfield. I've been saying all along watch out for Duke Johnson. This kid can do everything that CJ AND Harvin does for our offense. He's an exceptional returner, runner, and receiver out of the backfield.

E

eaglenj

I agree with the above poster that said this might be in response to what Spiller's agent is actively seeking. It's smart not to overpay when there are ample options at the RB position in the NFL.

On a similar note, if CJ is not resigned and we don't add another FA RB besides Powell, take it to the bank that we will target someone in the draft. In Chan's offense we need a legit receiving threat out of the backfield. I've been saying all along watch out for Duke Johnson. This kid can do everything that CJ AND Harvin does for our offense. He's an exceptional returner, runner, and receiver out of the backfield.

This is an extremely deep draft at RB and we could find a good developmental back, to serve as our 3rd string RB in the 5-6th round. Powell is a very affordable, solid #2 RB and is very wise use of $2 million per year.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Powell reminds me of Emerson Boozer when he runs, so I hope he comes back

Sarge, I don't agree here with your comparison of Boozer to Powell. I love the Namath Boozer Snell era, and to me Boozer had a lot more wiggle to his run, while Powell is more of a north / south guy. I have a signed poster of Boozer with Matt Snell blocking for him in our last Super Bowl beating the Baltimore Colts 16-7. I was only 16, but it was still a day I'll never forget.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Spiller told NFL network yesterday Chip Kelly has his agent's number. Look for the Eagles to make a big play for Spiller.

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Spiller told NFL network yesterday Chip Kelly has his agent's number. Look for the Eagles to make a big play for Spiller.

Wow that would be a great move for them. I hope we win that bidding war due to his relationship with Gailey. I'm okay if we overspend a bit for him. If used right Spiller could be McCoy-lite.

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Say we do get Spiller and let Powell go. Who do you think would win between Ivory and Spiller for that position? Or do you think they'll go for the tandem RB look?

I like Ivory a lot and don't want to count him out but Spiller does fit Gailey's scheme better. Spiller is a dual threat, able to catch and run so I do think he will see the field more but that does not mean that Ivory will not get his playing time.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I was surprised how little they used Powell last year. The only problem with keeping him is the annoying way Ray Lucas pronounces his name.

Gotta agree with Cy P. on the Boozer comparison. #32 was explosive. If he didn't rip his knee up in KC, I think that he would have been on our "wall of fame"

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I think you need a three-RB grouping these days, a traditional RB (Powell), a power back for between the tackles (Ivory), and a speed back for outside and the passing game (Spiller).

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I think you need a three-RB grouping these days, a traditional RB (Powell), a power back for between the tackles (Ivory), and a speed back for outside and the passing game (Spiller).

+1 agree. You need 3 stud horses in the barn to keep everyone fresh.

Go Jets...Cyborg