Reports: Jets want Bilal Powell over Spiller

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Good, I would rather have Powell over Spiller anyway. Not to say Powell is better but Spiller injury history is way way to risky. Powell is a good, healthy and reliable RB that would complement Ivory very well. Besides, they can draft another RB in the 5th or 6th round who might surprise everyone and use that FA money on Spiller for a o-linemen for example. Without a o-linemen, the ball ain't moving up and down the field with any skilled players period.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Okay how about this, what if we didn't get Spiller but kept Powell leading to the Jets going for a RB in the draft (hypothetically)...who would your pick be at RB? Given who you think may be available in the round you see the Jets making that pick in. All revolving around if we have Ivory AND Powell.

Duke Johnson (U. Miami) fits Gailey's system perfectly. He is equally adept catching the football out of the backfield as he is running it. I think he could be a major steal if he slips to the top of round 3. I've gushed on about him in other threads so I will refrain from doing that here.

Ameer Abdullah (Nebraska) is another very good fit. He did run a disappointing 40 time in Indy so I'm not sure where that puts his stock. He was thought to be a lock for the 2nd round. Displayed plenty of quickness and athleticism in college and would bring a lot of the same things to the offense that Duke brings.

I think Michael Dyer (Louisville) and Cameron Artis-Payne (Aub) are interesting mid to late round possibilities. Both have exceptional quickness and bring potential in the return game.

**Lastly, don't sleep on Todd Gurley. If he drops to the top of round 2 because of the knee injury, he may be too good of a player to pass up. He brings a toughness and home run element that hasn't been seen since AP came into the league.

I do think we will be bringing a RB in with the draft so these are 5 names to keep an eye on.

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I'm a Powell fan, he can catch too. I think the running game suffers with splitting time 3 ways, and would rather see Powell get into a rhythm, followed by some ivory power runs when called for.

Bronx

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Draft TJ Yeldon to team with Powell and Ivory. Especially if we gets extra picks in a draft day trade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sg3

When the Jets played at Tennessee in 2013, Bilal Powell was the best RB on the field and Chris Johnson was a washed up shadow of his former self.

So what does WRECKS do in 2014 after the washed up shadow becomes a Jet and all that stuff?

Runs him out there 50 percent of the snaps and lets Powell rot on the bench or run occasional Wildcrap plays and all that stuff

Thankfully the moron is now somewhere near Niagara Falls destroying another team and all that stuff

Jets31

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Give us a good Online and Ivory and Powell are good enough. No need to waste money like we did with CJ. Draft a guy if you need to. Its a good RB draft.

U

ucrenegade

Give us a good Online and Ivory and Powell are good enough. No need to waste money like we did with CJ. Draft a guy if you need to. Its a good RB draft.

we also still have daryl richardson under contract for one more year, so maybe we look rb next year

ivory,powell,richardson are good add in spiller and it is icing on the cake.

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
we also still have daryl richardson under contract for one more year, so maybe we look rb next year

ivory,powell,richardson are good add in spiller and it is icing on the cake.

If we get Spiller, I don't think Richardson sees the field. More and more that time passes by I don't think we'll sign Spiller and that's okay.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
If we get Spiller, I don't think Richardson sees the field. More and more that time passes by I don't think we'll sign Spiller and that's okay.

I dont think we're even in play for Spiller any more. I dont expect us to be the big players in free agency we anticipated.

I think we sign a stud olineman, and then maybe Cro, and one of the OLBs...I dont think we're going to score any sexy names like McCourty, Torrey Smith, or Cobb...maybe we make a big play for Revis if he shakes free, but I dont consider signing a player to a huge contract that's in his 30s anything but a Raiders move...I wouldn't be excited about that signing, I'd actually be disappointed (all he's looking for is a blank check and it just means we caved; if we were going to do that, we should have done it 2 years ago and never lost him).

Suh to Miami. Spiller I think does to the Eagles or Seahawks. maxwell goes to Eagles or Atl most likely. Torrey Smith maybe to the Vikings. Cobb to the raiders to join Carr. Iupati to skins or bucs. Worilds to the Titans. Something like this on the first day.

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I dont think we're even in play for Spiller any more. I dont expect us to be the big players in free agency we anticipated.

I think we sign a stud olineman, and then maybe Cro, and one of the OLBs...I dont think we're going to score any sexy names like McCourty, Torrey Smith, or Cobb...maybe we make a big play for Revis if he shakes free, but I dont consider signing a player to a huge contract that's in his 30s anything but a Raiders move...I wouldn't be excited about that signing, I'd actually be disappointed (all he's looking for is a blank check and it just means we caved; if we were going to do that, we should have done it 2 years ago and never lost him).

Suh to Miami. Spiller I think does to the Eagles or Seahawks. maxwell goes to Eagles or Atl most likely. Torrey Smith maybe to the Vikings. Cobb to the raiders to join Carr. Iupati to skins or bucs. Worilds to the Titans. Something like this on the first day.

But we "have" to spend big bucks, no?

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
But we "have" to spend big bucks, no?

We do, but it takes 2 to tango...players need to want to come here and almost all teams have cap room, so they can go where they want. There are 17 teams with over $20 mill in cap space and the Jaguars and Raiders have over $65 mill and also "have to spend." The biggest free agent, Suh, is lining up for the Phins...and they aren't even one of those 17 teams I referenced. :) So imagine how crazy everyone else wants to spend.

I know some silly people on the transaction thread said, "we wont have to over pay to land free agents," but that's just because they're silly. The Eagles, Colts, Packers, Chargers, Bills, Broncos, and Falcons all have a ton of cap room to burn through as well...I have a hard time believing free agents wont be attracted to those destination...and the Falcons, Colts, Eagles, and Bengals all have 30-45 mill in cap space.

This is a bad year to have cap room...because everyone does, even the good teams have almost $45 mill in cap space, would you rather play for the Packers and their $45 mill to spend or the 4 win jets and their $55 mill to spend? If the contract offers are close, the higher taxed less likely to be a winner Jets are going to struggle to win players over, IMO. But we'll see.

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
We do, but it takes 2 to tango...players need to want to come here and almost all teams have cap room, so they can go where they want. There are 17 teams with over $20 mill in cap space and the Jaguars and Raiders have over $65 mill and also "have to spend." The biggest free agent, Suh, is lining up for the Phins...and they aren't even one of those 17 teams I referenced. :) So imagine how crazy everyone else wants to spend.

I know some silly people on the transaction thread said, "we wont have to over pay to land free agents," but that's just because they're silly. The Eagles, Colts, Packers, Chargers, Bills, Broncos, and Falcons all have a ton of cap room to burn through as well...I have a hard time believing free agents wont be attracted to those destination...and the Falcons, Colts, Eagles, and Bengals all have 30-45 mill in cap space.

This is a bad year to have cap room...because everyone does, even the good teams have almost $45 mill in cap space, would you rather play for the Packers and their $45 mill to spend or the 4 win jets and their $55 mill to spend? If the contract offers are close, the higher taxed less likely to be a winner Jets are going to struggle to win players over, IMO. But we'll see.

So do you spend your money overpaying for the player you want, or get our own house straight with guys like Wilk?

Again, if it "has" to be spent, it's gotta be an interesting off-season one way or another . . .

U

ucrenegade

on a messageboard everyone has a rite to their opinion please respect that.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
C.J. Spiller - RB - Bills
Citing multiple league sources, Yahoo's Rand Getlin reports the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Cardinals, 49ers, Redskins, and Lions have interest in free agent C.J. Spiller.
It's notable that the Eagles were not included; they've been a presumed suitor since 2014 reports surfaced of Chip Kelly trying to trade for Spiller. Getlin suggests the Jets "might be the team to beat," given Spiller's successful history in New York OC Chan Gailey's spread offense. New England would be an intriguing fit, with Spiller replacing free agent Shane Vereen.
Related: Patriots, Jets, Eagles

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Report: Jets think Bilal Powell leaning toward joining Rex in Buffalo

Posted by Josh Alper on March 8, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
New York Jets v Kansas City Chiefs
Getty Images
The new deal for LeSean McCoy may not be the only one the Bills give a running back this offseason.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets would like to re-sign Bilal Powell, but that they think he’s “leaning” toward following former Jets head coach Rex Ryan to Buffalo. Powell has spent his entire four-year NFL career with the Jets after they made him a fourth-round pick in 2011.

Powell ran the ball 33 times last season, a big drop from the previous two seasons, and caught 11 passes while maintaining a role in the team’s offense because he was their best pass blocker at running back. That skill would come in handy as a complement to McCoy, although it would make for a crowded running back room in Buffalo.

Fred Jackson, Anthony Dixon and Bryce Brown are already on hand behind McCoy and five tailbacks would be a lot for even Ryan’s beloved ground and pound approach to moving the football. Should Powell land in Buffalo, there would likely be other moves to follow as the Bills try to build an offense that doesn’t look like it will put too much on the plate of quarterbacks Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel.

As for the Jets, Mehta reports Shane Vereen as a potential target if Powell departs and they may be in the market for other running mates for Chris Ivory in the backfield.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Some believe if we lose Powell we'll jump on Vareen from the Pats...but we'd probably still draft a RB to complete with Richardson for a roster spot.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Report: Jets think Bilal Powell leaning toward joining Rex in Buffalo

Posted by Josh Alper on March 8, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
New York Jets v Kansas City Chiefs
Getty Images
The new deal for LeSean McCoy may not be the only one the Bills give a running back this offseason.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets would like to re-sign Bilal Powell, but that they think he’s “leaning” toward following former Jets head coach Rex Ryan to Buffalo. Powell has spent his entire four-year NFL career with the Jets after they made him a fourth-round pick in 2011.

Powell ran the ball 33 times last season, a big drop from the previous two seasons, and caught 11 passes while maintaining a role in the team’s offense because he was their best pass blocker at running back. That skill would come in handy as a complement to McCoy, although it would make for a crowded running back room in Buffalo.

Fred Jackson, Anthony Dixon and Bryce Brown are already on hand behind McCoy and five tailbacks would be a lot for even Ryan’s beloved ground and pound approach to moving the football. Should Powell land in Buffalo, there would likely be other moves to follow as the Bills try to build an offense that doesn’t look like it will put too much on the plate of quarterbacks Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel.

As for the Jets, Mehta reports Shane Vereen as a potential target if Powell departs and they may be in the market for other running mates for Chris Ivory in the backfield.

that would be weird. maybe powell doesn't like playing and he figures if he goes to buffalo, he can earn a paycheck and not have rex use him...

in all seriousness, buffalo is pretty loaded at RB. not sure why powell would want to go there.

i'd like to keep him, but if i had to choose just one, i would take spiller over powell. powell is a solid all around back, but isn't anything special. a good depth player, but not a game changer. spiller and ivory would make a nice tandem, perhaps supplemented by a mid round pick.

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Bilal Powell could defect from the Jets to join his old coach.

The Jets would like to re-sign the impending free agent running back, but Powell is leaning toward a reunion with Rex Ryan in Buffalo, according to sources. Powell was third on the Jets’ depth chart last season but would currently be the number two option behind Chris Ivory now that the team has declined Chris Johnson’s 2015 option.

Powell, 26, was a fourth-round pick in 2011 and has rushed for 1,296 yards in his four-year career. He is considered a jack-of-all trades who is useful on third-down because of his pass blocking ability. Powell’s best season came in 2013 when he rushed 176 times for 697 yards and one touchdown along with 272 receiving yards.

http://m.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/bilal-powell-leaning-joining-rex-ryan-buffalo-blog-entry-1.2141914?cid=bitly&utm_content=buffer86458&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=swalder+twitter