Rex Sacked In Jets QB Swap

F

flgreen

Mehta: Rex sacked in Jets' QB swap
MANISH MEHTA
Today, 12:00 AM

ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Maybe Rex Ryan should give himself the start at QB this week?
Rex Ryan has been marginalized in the twilight of a six-year run that began with a bang and will end with a whimper.

Although the Jets head coach proclaimed Wednesday that “everybody’s on board” with the decision to bench Mike Vick for Geno Smith for the upcoming Monday night game against the Dolphins, that simply isn’t the case.

Sources told the Daily News that offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg was among the majority of people in the organization, including players, who wanted to stick with Vick. Ryan also preferred the veteran, but placated his superiors to avoid conflict on his way out.

Ryan, the quintessential people pleaser, isn’t interested in sabotaging GM John Idzik or owner Woody Johnson during his final few weeks.

He wants to take the high road before looking for his next gig, according to sources.

Burning down the team headquarters at One Jets Drive makes little strategic sense for Ryan’s career. So, he put on a good show for reporters on Wednesday to explain the move to turn back to the turnover-prone Smith. “I think the best thing for this team right now is to play Geno Smith,” Ryan said. “Does he give you a good chance to win? Or a chance to win? I believe he does give us a chance to win.”

Not exactly high praise, but Ryan had little statistical data to support Smith, who is 9-15 as a starter.

Sports Talk: Jets get ready to host Miami Dolphins
NY Daily News

Ryan might be a flawed head coach, but he deserves better as he finishes his tenure. He has comported himself exceedingly well even as his public fibs to protect Idzik grow more embarrassing.

Ryan let Idzik cling to the fading hope that his 2013 second-round pick will magically find his way. The merits of the decision to bench Vick, who was 1-2 as a starter, are debatable, but the decision-making process is not: It’s a joke.

If Ryan doesn’t feel like he can start the quarterback he truly believes gives the Jets the best opportunity to win, then why bother keeping him on the sideline? Give Idzik a headset (and an abacus) and let him run the show for the final month.

WARNING: Expect many delay-of-game penalties.

The News reported last month that Ryan had to clear his decision to bench Smith after the Week 8 loss to the Bills with Idzik and Johnson. So, it was hardly surprising that he consulted them with five games remaining in this wretched season. This process itself speaks to a larger problem within the organization.

There is no way that Ryan, who values ball security more than anything else from his quarterbacks, actually believes that benching a player who had committed only one turnover in three starts for a turnover machine will improve his chances of winning.

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpiROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Michael Vick hands over this practice ball - and the Jets starting job back - to Geno Smith.
Vick’s three-game stretch of one turnover was the best under Ryan since Mark Sanchez did the same from Weeks 5-7 in 2011, a span of 49 games. So, naturally it made sense for Ryan to pull the plug on Vick, right?

Please.

“I don’t own this organization. I just play for it,” said Vick, who was professional as usual. “Why do things happen? I don’t know. I don’t ask too many questions.”

The Jets (2-9) have been mathematically eliminated from playoff contention with more than a month left in the season partly due to Smith’s poor play in the first two months.

Smith, 1-7 as a starter this season, was a train wreck before he was benched. He committed a turnover in seven games, including multiple turnovers in four. He was terrible in nearly every statistical category, including quarterback rating (67.4).

Smith has committed a turnover in 19 of 24 career starts, including multiple turnovers in half of them. Vick, 34, obviously isn’t the future, but be had more games with a 100-plus QB rating (two) in three starts than Smith had in 24 (one).

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpiROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Don"t expect Ryan to throw his owner or GM under the bus, even if he is seemingly a lame duck.
Smith was given plenty of opportunities in the past two years to prove that he can be a franchise quarterback.

He has failed.

“I’m definitely going to be playing like everything’s on the line,” Smith said Wednesday. “Because it is.”

Smith fooled the organization with a marginally successful four-game run against non-playoff teams last December. Johnson shouldn’t let Smith’s play down the stretch in meaningless games cloud the big picture this time: The Jets must draft a franchise quarterback this offseason.

Meanwhile, Ryan will try to toe the company line with a straight face.

J

Jetsfanatic

I wish this season were over so we can begin to move on. This arranged marriage by Woody has apparently turned into a disaster.

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Guys - Monday is going to be crazy. There will be so much negative energy in the crowd that the team has no chance to succeed. We are going to start getting quotes from players bad mouthing the fans.

Once Geno makes his inevitable turnover, the boos will come down so hard. I can only hope FIRE IDZIK is chanted over and over again.

J

Jetsfanatic

Do you guys think there will be a lot of Dolphin fans there?

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Do you guys think there will be a lot of Dolphin fans there?

Unfortunately yes, I just checked on stubhub and the prices are ridiculously cheap. Those are probably all Jets fans unloading their tickets. You can get lower level seats for less than $100....

This is fine with me, I want Woody to get as embarrassed as possible.

U

ucrenegade

Unfortunately yes, I just checked on stubhub and the prices are ridiculously cheap. Those are probably all Jets fans unloading their tickets. You can get lower level seats for less than $100....

how could you let woody know you sold your tickets? Now that would be embarrassing if you could let him know you sold your tickets to a dolphins fan

J

Jetsfanatic

I have no problem with that either, I just feel bad for Chrebet, he deserves better!

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Oh man, I forgot about Chrebet. I can only hope they are respectful to him. He does deserve much better!

F

flgreen

yeah sucks for chrebet. Hopefully he understands.

They will ban planes flying over stadium...too bad for Wayne

Planes are always banned from flying over the stadium, I think it's a half hour before the game. If there are planes, and the firejohnidzik people said they have talked to plane people, they will be flying over the tail gates until a half hour before kick off.

As far as Chrebet goes, this is a shame, but remember the year he came on the team was the last year of Kotites reign.

He has seen the worst, and was there when Parcells took the team to the AFC championship game.