To J.D. Regarding Trading Down To #6

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Trading down or up? There is a lot of rumblings that JD is trying to trade up to grab one of the top 3 WR's (I'm not opposed to this)

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Wouldn't that be trading up? I have heard up from 10 to 8 for Rome.

What I would do is stay at 10. See if Rome or Alt falls to you. If not, trade back to the teens and pick up another day 2 pick.

MiJetFan

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
As long as they don't do something stupid like trade up to 6 and draft JJ McCarthy I wouldn't be opposed to it.
Depends on the cost.

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
AVT and Tippmann weren't stupid. Becton was.
That's two good picks in , what?, five years?
And I'm not that sure about Tippmann. Remember how we were all screaming for him to draft additional help the past few years, at least for backups, and he basically ignored linemen in the draft. And how many of his free agents made an impact? I meant more than just drafting when I said buiilding.
Later

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
That's two good picks in , what?, five years?
And I'm not that sure about Tippmann. Remember how we were all screaming for him to draft additional help the past few years, at least for backups, and he basically ignored linemen in the draft. And how many of his free agents made an impact? I meant more than just drafting when I said buiilding.
Later
He has made three major draft capital expenditures on the OL. One was a total bust, which was foreseeable. High ceiling, low floor. Becton was just a disaster. AVT is a stud when he's on the field. And his injuries were flukes and not foreseeable. Tippmann has shown himself to be a young above-average starter at the second most important position on the OL. He's had a few good depth picks, like Warren and Mitchell, and some that did not pan out, like Clark.

Free agency has had some duds. Tomlinson, obviously. Kalil. Other guys have been decent starters, like McGovern and Fant. And while he let Moses go, he also had brought in Moses. Some misses, some minor hits.

It's been a mixed bag. That is the case for most NFL teams. The two differences are that he inherited a line that was abysmal and they have suffered unprecedented injuries over the past couple years. The thing is, JD is supposed to be the OL guy. A mixed bag has not been enough up to this point. That said, when it comes to this year, that line looks seriously legit. The question is durability, though Warren is a pretty solid depth piece in case disaster strikes. I'm sure we all wish the team had young All Pros starting at all five positions and 3 or 4 young All Pros waiting in reserve, but no team has that.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Bowers won't be the pick at 10. A TE who can not Block, had more than 1/2 his passes come behind the line of scrimmage and the rest schemed is not the pick for an all in one year window team. Hopefully JD learned from last years wasted first. This team has a glaring need at tackle and guard. The drop off from the top 2-3 o lineman and the second group is far greater than any other group in the draft. Only player who is draftable ahead of o line is Harrison Jr.
Bowers is my pick for cringy green room pics. Think the media is higher on him than most teams

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Bowers won't be the pick at 10. A TE who can not Block, had more than 1/2 his passes come behind the line of scrimmage and the rest schemed is not the pick for an all in one year window team. Hopefully JD learned from last years wasted first. This team has a glaring need at tackle and guard. The drop off from the top 2-3 o lineman and the second group is far greater than any other group in the draft. Only player who is draftable ahead of o line is Harrison Jr.
Bowers is my pick for cringy green room pics. Think the media is higher on him than most teams
I would like to think Bowers would not be a high option. I don't love him at 10. I mean, he's a weapon, but I think he is limited in what he provides, and most top TEs in the league have developed from mid-round picks. Plus, as you mention, his blocking is not a strong point.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
He has made three major draft capital expenditures on the OL. One was a total bust, which was foreseeable. High ceiling, low floor. Becton was just a disaster. AVT is a stud when he's on the field. And his injuries were flukes and not foreseeable. Tippmann has shown himself to be a young above-average starter at the second most important position on the OL. He's had a few good depth picks, like Warren and Mitchell, and some that did not pan out, like Clark.

Free agency has had some duds. Tomlinson, obviously. Kalil. Other guys have been decent starters, like McGovern and Fant. And while he let Moses go, he also had brought in Moses. Some misses, some minor hits.

It's been a mixed bag. That is the case for most NFL teams. The two differences are that he inherited a line that was abysmal and they have suffered unprecedented injuries over the past couple years. The thing is, JD is supposed to be the OL guy. A mixed bag has not been enough up to this point. That said, when it comes to this year, that line looks seriously legit. The question is durability, though Warren is a pretty solid depth piece in case disaster strikes. I'm sure we all wish the team had young All Pros starting at all five positions and 3 or 4 young All Pros waiting in reserve, but no team has that.
He spent 3 major picks on AVT alone .
Mitchell and Warren are both terrible, not even AVG back ups.
Becton was a terrible pick and it's no surprise he hasn't been healthy for 3-4 seasons .
Tippmann has flashed potential but has to show improvement this season.
This line has a below Avg L Guard that can be counted on. LT may not be available for the off-season,RG unlikely to be ready for week 1 , RT coming off surgery likely to get minimal time all off-season.
So Starting O Line won't have a snap together until week 2-3 at the earliest. LT may take first snap week 1. ( Best case 8-9 games played for the year) Hopefully Center has learned to snap, RG returning week 2-3 not in game shape but hopefully he makes it through 10 -12 games, RT limited practice will struggle early but hopefully play 15-16 games.
We should at least 2 young studs, but Douglas always drafts for ceiling. And we don't develop

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
He spent 3 major picks on AVT alone .
Mitchell and Warren are both terrible, not even AVG back ups.
Becton was a terrible pick and it's no surprise he hasn't been healthy for 3-4 seasons .
Tippmann has flashed potential but has to show improvement this season.
This line has a below Avg L Guard that can be counted on. LT may not be available for the off-season,RG unlikely to be ready for week 1 , RT coming off surgery likely to get minimal time all off-season.
So Starting O Line won't have a snap together until week 2-3 at the earliest. LT may take first snap week 1. ( Best case 8-9 games played for the year) Hopefully Center has learned to snap, RG returning week 2-3 not in game shape but hopefully he makes it through 10 -12 games, RT limited practice will struggle early but hopefully play 15-16 games.
We should at least 2 young studs, but Douglas always drafts for ceiling. And we don't develop
I disagree about Warren. I think he is a solid backup. Mitchell is too inconsistent. I think sometimes Jets fans think that every other team is sitting on a bench of stud OL in the wings. It's really not the case.

Tippmann graded out very well. He could improve on what he has done so far, but he is legit right now. Not a Pro Bowler yet, but at worst an average NFL starting C. We don't know yet about AVT's prognosis for September. Simpson is the worst of the bunch, and that's mainly because of penalties.

I'm all for drafting OL. And I understand why as a Jets fan, you would look at worst case scenario, since that's all that usually happens for the Jets. I'd like to think for once, fate stops hating on us, just for a little bit.