US Open

Golden Rott

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Anyone watching? Course looks more like a British Open Course than US

Leaderboard after round 1:

US Open.jpg

Phil in striking distance at -1. Tiger sitting tied at 152nd at +10.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
Amazing how far Tiger has fallen -- from best in the world and one of the best ever to struggling just to mkae cuts in tournaments these days.

I am hoping maybe Mickelson finally gets it done this year - so many years he has been so close to this one.

The Wicker Man

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I can't get into watching golf. Maybe if John Daley was still relevant. Then again, I watch soccer so....

S

sg3

Based on how the afternoon round is going, with the greens hardening and some wind, I think the leading scores going into tomorrow won't get much higher than the current -5

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
Really surprised to see so many scores below par so far. These greens look brutal, but I guess these guys are pretty good. Dustin Johnson just got to -7.

S

sg3

Really surprised to see so many scores below par so far. These greens look brutal, but I guess these guys are pretty good. Dustin Johnson just got to -7.
And ended up back at -4

-5 is the leading score as it was after round 1 and now there are only 16 players in red figures.

Traditionally the USGA sets their easiest pin placements on day 1 and makes them progressively more difficult each day

By the end of day 4, my guess is you will be able to count players under par on one hand same as for most US Opens.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
And ended up back at -4

-5 is the leading score as it was after round 1 and now there are only 16 players in red figures.

Traditionally the USGA sets their easiest pin placements on day 1 and makes them progressively more difficult each day

By the end of day 4, my guess is you will be able to count players under par on one hand same as for most US Opens.

Looks like you were right. Scores are not likely to get much lower than they are now. There are no easy par 5s, no easy puts on these greens. Even the short par 4 is a challenge. Par is a good score on this course.

Updated Leaderboard after Round 2:

US Open.jpg

S

sg3

Turning into your typical US Open USGA setup as each day goes by.

As Sunday dawns, the leaders are only at -4 and there are only EIGHT players in red figures, a far cry from Thursday

The two most amazing stories are, of course, Jason Day who is tied for the lead despite his collapse with dizziness on the final hole Friday and Louis Oosthiuzen who has roared back from a +7 on Thursday with Woods and Fowler to -1 by the end of round three on a course where rounds in red figures were the exception, not the rule (only 6 players yesterday)

As for disappointments along with the aforementioned two above, we have Rory at 4 over and Phil at 10 over thru 3 rounds

S

sg3

Chris Kirk got his final round off to a flying start with an ELEVEN on par 4 first hole

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
How about the round Rory is putting together today? -6 through 13; -3 for the tourney. If he can pick up another stroke or 2 and get in the clubhouse, he just might steal this thing.

S

sg3

How about the round Rory is putting together today? -6 through 13; -3 for the tourney. If he can pick up another stroke or 2 and get in the clubhouse, he just might steal this thing.
Rory ended at even, tied for 8th

Still a terrific -4 Sunday for the world's best golfer.

Surprisingly the USGA set the Sunday tees the shortest they have been and there have been numerous rounds in red figures.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
Rory ended at even, tied for 8th

Still a terrific -4 Sunday for the world's best golfer.

Surprisingly the USGA set the Sunday tees the shortest they have been and there have been numerous rounds in red figures.

Yup, a nice run for Rory - made the afternoon interesting while waiting for the leaders to get going. After he made the 70 footer on 13, I really thought he was going to do something special. Putter let him down down the stretch.

Should be fun to watch over these last few holes.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
Couldn't ask for much more drama over the last 3 holes. Crushing defeat for Johnson, 3-putt from 12' on 18 to finish 2nd.

How would you like to have Jordan Spieth's future?

S

sg3

WOW

All you can say

Speith up 3 playing 17, Johnson on 16

Jordan doubles 17

And birdies 18

For -5

Johnson gets to -4 teeing off on 18

On in two, 12 feet away

Misses the Eagle put to win

Then misses a 3 footer to cancel the 18 hole playoff tomorrow and hand the US Open Championship to Jordan

WOW!!!!

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
WOW

All you can say

Speith up 3 playing 17, Johnson on 16

Jordan doubles 17

And birdies 18

For -5

Johnson gets to -4 teeing off on 18

On in two, 12 feet away

Misses the Eagle put to win

Then misses a 3 footer to cancel the 18 hole playoff tomorrow and hand the US Open Championship to Jordan

WOW!!!!

Kind of fitting that this tournament would be decided on a missed 3 foot putt. Dont think there was a guy out there this weekend that did not miss at least a couple of 3 foot putts. Johnson mmissed quite a few makeable putts on the back 9. This one has to sting for a while -- right up there with the PGA in 2010.

And how about an honorable mention for the job Louis Oosthuizen did this weekend. He was awesome -- best player over the last 3 days and a great back 9 today.

S

sg3