What do you think is the weakest position group?

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
So many people keep saying the linebackers and safety position are the two weakest but the team has been bringing in potential depth at the defensive line working out and medical checks on Larry Ogunjobi because like myself believe after the supposedly two starting interior defensive linemen in JFM and Q the talent drops off considerably.

The hope that Jonathan Marshall takes that next step is uncertain until they put on the pads. They brought in a familiar foe from Saleh's days in San Francisco with Solomon Thomas. Thomas fits the dynamic and could be a solid rotational piece but we know this the rotation is a key to this front's potential. We all know that Nathan Sheperd is a pass rusher but his run defense is less than desired. Will they sign someone to compete? That is the hope.

Sheldon Rankins on the 5th day of the new league year received his roster bonus monies of $1.25 M of his $6.2 M 2022 salary. Yes he would still be a cap savings if he does not make through final cuts but to part ways now is foolish. The only player on the roster that the fans and media would not bat an eye on is Sheperd but they did re-sign so would cause a media hoopla especially with our negative writing writers.

So for me it is the Interior Defensive Line (IDL).

What is yours?

Seaver41

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
LB - and mostly because IMO if CJ gets hurt there is a considerable void behind him. I see the other position groups able to cover themselves a bit better.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
The weakest part of this team is also the two most important parts. This team will go as far as boy these positions take it . IMO that the QB position, namely Zack Wilson and the defensive line, specifically the pass rush .

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
LB - and mostly because IMO if CJ gets hurt there is a considerable void behind him. I see the other position groups able to cover themselves a bit better.
LB can't be a weakness since Saleh clearly doesn't draft them.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
For me it is the QB position. When Zach went out and Flacco went in he didn't play any better than Zach. When White went in he played great, one game only. So unless Flacco and White are much improved by end of training camp we should bring in a QB that can play.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
Not true . He doesn’t draft what you’re accustomed to as LBERs .
that bothers me. it's Gerry rigging, and normally results in players playing out of positions they excel at.
it's not just a body type, but a mind set to play larger than your frame.

it's like when everyone had to start running 3-4. well, there are only so many 6'5' 350 behemoths who are athletic enough to command triple team that can co-exist with 4 really good LBs.

pretty soon, the NT is a watered down 300 pounder who needs 2 300 DT's who play as 300 pound DE's, and a misfit at "Edge" who is a 4-3 DE at 280, asked to cover a TE or RB.

after a while, it just starts looking and performing stupidly.

Quick

Day 3 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
I’m most concerned about offensive tackle. An injury to either starter and we’re in an awful place. I expect a veteran addition off the waiver wire. I’m also concerned about Fant full time at RT. He was ok there. Not sure we can count on his excellence at LT carrying over when he switches back. Powerful enough?

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
that bothers me. it's Gerry rigging, and normally results in players playing out of positions they excel at.
it's not just a body type, but a mind set to play larger than your frame.

it's like when everyone had to start running 3-4. well, there are only so many 6'5' 350 behemoths who are athletic enough to command triple team that can co-exist with 4 really good LBs.

pretty soon, the NT is a watered down 300 pounder who needs 2 300 DT's who play as 300 pound DE's, and a misfit at "Edge" who is a 4-3 DE at 280, asked to cover a TE or RB.

after a while, it just starts looking and performing stupidly.
I disagree especially when you’re talking about a HC. With a 5 yr contract going into his second year . This coaching staff has a plan that’s been proven and they’re executing the plan to precision. The players we’re substituting from safety to linebacker are mostly on the weak side and used specifically as cover linebackers in a passing league . It’s unfortunate that Sherwood got hurt but he showed promise . His angles were a little off but his speed and coverage abilities showed up. Nass was just too raw

MiJetFan

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Well until I see different on the field I have to say same things as last season QB. DL. OL. S. LB. Sure they made great draft picks but now comes the time too put it all together. I expect vast improvements in the Pass Rush and QB play. No depth at LB(until we see it). OL has gotten better on paper but again, We have to see it on the field. TC will answer all the questions and show us were We have improved and where we need improvement.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
I disagree especially when you’re talking about a HC. With a 5 yr contract going into his second year . This coaching staff has a plan that’s been proven and they’re executing the plan to precision. The players we’re substituting from safety to linebacker are mostly on the weak side and used specifically as cover linebackers in a passing league . It’s unfortunate that Sherwood got hurt but he showed promise . His angles were a little off but his speed and coverage abilities showed up. Nass was just too raw
my mantra is "in Saleh and JD I trust". and RS might be able to mold them into LB's.

my point is that those Safety's who successfully converted to LB's were LB's at heart already; kind of like when Rod and Charles Woodson were able to successfully transition to safety from CB; they were already viscous and smart tacklers.

gastineau

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Weakness at Center and number 1 WR and thats if Beckton is back to norm. We do t know if WR drafted is a number 1. Drafted 1st rd doesnt mean a number 1 WR. Look at Seattle,Chiefs,49ers number 1 WRs all drafted in 2nd rd. So where is all the 1st rd drafted WRs? Not number 1WR on teams. We assume Jets newly drafted 1st rd WR will be a number 1 and base Zach being good or not on this WR being a sure number 1 is silly. Ive seen to many dropped passes zipped into tight coverage bounce off hands. I would feel better if Jets got a true Vet number 1 WR and vet Center. Also still weak at CB. Remember 3 division teams have 2 number 1 WRs and 1 a number 2 WR for 3 good WRs. Do we have 3 good CBs to stop it? Or do we have a passrusher able to force QBs into a mistake? Lot of ifs going into this season and with this very hard schedule we might be 6 win team but hope all 3 of Draftees are great as positive sure Jets fans think, Im a little more reserved and happy in direction Jets going, but would have liked Vets at Center and WR as a known good instead a question mark trying to grade our rookie QB most Jets fan quick to trash not even played 1 season. Jets are far from being fixed and no sure number 1 WR or Center and CB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I have said this before and here it is again. “You have to see a thing before you see the thing or you never will see the thing “.
Said another way
“Speak those things that be not as though they were “ .
When will we learn ?