250 Greatest Guitarists

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
No Robin Trower or Frank Marino? I'm still not down from the contact high from listening to Trower and Mahogany Rush records.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Today's inclusion: A very influential guitarist, Arlen Roth. Incredible blues, session and slide player who has worked with anyone you can imagine, including the great Danny Gatton.

and most importantly, the Eugene's Trick Bag battle in Crossroads with Vai (he did the Machio parts and showed him how to finger like he actually knew how to play)

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
No Robin Trower or Frank Marino? I'm still not down from the contact high from listening to Trower and Mahogany Rush records.

Marino makes his own pedals now

they may be the most overpriced pedals ever made :)

As far as Robin goes, I think that he did some of his best work before he went solo (Piggy Pig Pig, the tag in Whaling Stories, Simple Sister)
but how can you plug in a vibe pedal and not sneak in the guilty pleasure of a bit of Bridge of Sighs?

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Today's addition: The late Tommy Bolin. Great blues/rock player who I remember as a replacement for Blackmore in Purple and Joe Walsh in James Gang. Also good enough to play on Billy Cobham's jazz fusion album, Spectrum. I had his solo records, Teaser and Private Eyes, too.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Before Kevin Cronin took them completely into the pop domain, REO Speedwagon was a pretty good rock band. The late Gary Richrath could play his ass off.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
I'm not a fan of the band or player. But opinions are what this thread is all about. I respect yours.
No, I am half kidding...........They were a top bar band but their own music stinks. We followed them around before they were famous.....OBI east, ETC. They were a fun group to party with early on...But again IMO their own music was bad.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
No, I am half kidding...........They were a top bar band but their own music stinks. We followed them around before they were famous.....OBI east, ETC. They were a fun group to party with early on...But again IMO their own music was bad.
I did, too. Like the Good Rats, who I thought were better.

Dude, I like a bunch of rock guys most despise. My comment was in no way a dig. Jay Jay was a pretty good guitarist. Just not someone I would place in that top list. But I'm no authority. Just some imbecile saying who I like.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
acoustics, yuck :)

I'm mad a Lukather. Bought tix to his Toxic Monkey tour right before the pandemic . He "postponed" rather than cancel so the venue won't refund the tix saying that it will be rescheduled. A couple of years have gone by, I guess so did the $$$

meanwhile, ever hear hos Los Lobotomys band?

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
acoustics, yuck :)

I'm mad a Lukather. Bought tix to his Toxic Monkey tour right before the pandemic . He "postponed" rather than cancel so the venue won't refund the tix saying that it will be rescheduled. A couple of years have gone by, I guess so did the $$$

meanwhile, ever hear hos Los Lobotomys band?

Yeah, I never liked the tinny tone of those Ovation acoustics. I posted that just for the few seconds we get of Glen Campbell's incendiary licks. The guy was just an incredible guitar player. I remember watching him on his show, the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, back in the late 60s.

I read this piece the other day. This should indicate what an influence Campbell was on other guitarists.

I had not hear of his Los Lobotomys band. Good song. And geez, what a friggin' backup band. Good tune, thanks for sharing and bringing them to my attention.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Thought of this guy during my walk earlier, Buck Dharma. As well as crafting one of rock's most recognizable riffs in "Don't Fear the Reaper", his playing powered Blue Oyster Cult.