Around The NFL

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Tajh Boyd - QB - Steelers
Steelers signed QB Tajh Boyd.
A 2014 sixth-round pick of the Jets, Boyd made some highlight-reel plays in the ACC but is a wildly erratic passer and spent his entire rookie year out of the league. He'll try to push for Bruce Gradkowski's backup job in Pittsburgh.

U

ucrenegade

A 2014 sixth-round pick of the Jets, Boyd made some highlight-reel plays in the ACC but is a wildly erratic passer and spent his entire rookie year out of the league. He'll try to push for Bruce Gradkowski's backup job in Pittsburgh.

for some reason i play better with taj on madden than geno lol

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Julius Thomas - TE - Broncos
Profootballtalk's Mike Florio floats the Seahawks as a potential suitor for free agent Julius Thomas.
It's not a surprise after Seattle tried trading for tight ends during last October's Percy Harvin talks. They were known to be targeting Jordan Cameron. Like Cameron, Thomas is an athletic tight end with top-notch ball skills. Thomas' addition would knock Luke Willson down the totem pole in Seattle.
Related: Seahawks

Davon House - DB - Packers
The player rep for free agent CB Davon House says his client will test the open market.
Agent Kenny Zuckerman anticipates "a lot of interest" in House, whom the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel recently suggested could command $7 million per year. House has limited experience, but is a big, physical press corner who doesn't turn 26 until July. The Packers want him back, but only at their price.

A.J. Hawk - LB - Free Agent
The Bengals plan to host free agent ILB A.J. Hawk next week.
Although he's been an inside linebacker throughout his career, Hawk could conceivably compete on the outside in the Bengals' 4-3. The team is clearly worried about WLB Vontaze Burfict's recovery from microfracture surgery.
Related: Bengals

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics

Oh yeah talk to me 55 ! Me & Rex are the 2 only people that liked Tajh Boyd QB @ Clemson. I hope he makes the team. There was a reason Watkins & Bryant WR's had such spectacular receiving numbers, it was because Boyd can bring it ! He throws BB's ! He might not be the brightest bulb in the box, but I do think Boyd will become a good back-up NFL QB.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Looks like jets will be competing with Eagles on top corners and Spiller. Maxwell likes the Eagles D

Byron Maxwell: Eagles' scheme suits me well

Byron Maxwell is not only smart enough to test the market, he's smart enough to know that there are only certain offers he should truly entertain.

During a round of interviews on ESPN Thursday, the former Legion of Boomer talked about a scheme-specific fit, something similar to the one he knew well in Seattle. Basically, a good amount of Cover 3 and man.

When asked if the Eagles might be one of those fits, Maxwell had this:

"Definitely," he said, via PhillyMag.com. "They run the schemes that I'm talking about -- Cover 3 and man press. And they're committed to winning. Definitely, Philadelphia, if they were to come at me, I would have to consider them."

There are countless pontifications on why Chip Kelly was so eager to clear the decks and start loading up on cap space, but one of the safest bets is to address his perforated secondary. The team currently has just one starting corner, Malcolm Jenkins, remaining on the roster from 2014.

The team has also been linked to Devin McCourty and could be using this winter and spring to fix one of the most glaring problems on the roster.

Quarterback aside -- that is, if you believe Kelly will mortgage the future to grab Marcus Mariota -- Maxwell could very well be atop Kelly's wish list.

And early in the process, the feeling seems mutual.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Derek Newton - T - Texans
The Texans are in "active negotiations" with free agent RT Derek Newton and CB Kareem Jackson.
Per reporter Tania Ganguli, it's "very possible both return." Jackson isn't a difference-making corner, but he offers plus versatility and bookend Johnathan Joseph is getting up there in age. Newton is another key piece. With Chargers LT King Dunlap locked up and Cowboys RT Doug Free set to be soon, Newton could emerge as free agency's No. 2 tackle behind Bryan Bulaga.

DeMarco Murray - RB - Cowboys
The Cowboys reportedly believe DeMarco Murray's 2014 performance was more a product of their dominant offensive line than Murray's talent.
The Cowboys "also believe that other teams believe it, too," per PFT's Mike Florio. The NFL's "legal tampering" period begins on Saturday, at which point Murray will be able to freely shop his wares. The Cowboys expect Murray to find a soft market, and we do too. If the contract offers Murray gets aren't to his liking, the chances of him returning to Dallas will increase.

C.J. Spiller - RB - Bills
Citing multiple league sources, Yahoo's Rand Getlin reports the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Cardinals, 49ers, Redskins, and Lions have interest in free agent C.J. Spiller.
It's notable that the Eagles were not included; they've been a presumed suitor since 2014 reports surfaced of Chip Kelly trying to trade for Spiller. Getlin suggests the Jets "might be the team to beat," given Spiller's successful history in New York OC Chan Gailey's spread offense. New England would be an intriguing fit, with Spiller replacing free agent Shane Vereen.
Related: Patriots, Jets, Eagles

Jay Cutler - QB - Bears
One NFL source told the Chicago Tribune the Titans are "the only realistic destination" for the Bears to trade Jay Cutler.
Yet beat writer Brad Biggs admits "that could be a long shot." Tennessee has been thrown around as a trade partner because of Cutler's Vanderbilt roots and the Titans' unresolved quarterback situation, but there have been no signs that the Titans have legitimate interest. The most likely endgame remains Cutler spending 2015 -- and probably 2016, as well -- in Chicago.
Related: Titans

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
More on Holmes from Sports Illustrated.

Andre Holmes, WR, Oakland Raiders: If you're looking for a deep threat in an offense that doesn't have a lot of deep threats (or one with a quarterback who doesn't throw deep often), Holmes might be your guy. He caught 47 passes for a team-leading 693 yards in 2014, and though those aren't blow-you-away numbers, consider that he did that in a short passing offense very much under construction with a rookie quarterback at the helm in Derek Carr. Holmes might be forced to stay put, given the robust receiver class in this year's draft, but he's certainly one to watch.