Around The NFL

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Everybody in the NFL has money. If we cut Harvin at 10 he'll go get 9 someplace else.
If these reports are true that the Eagles will definitely trade with the Jets if Mariota is there at #6 then resigning Harvin wouldn't be that bad. Trading down will obviously take us out the White and Cooper race. Maybe at #20 we can land Parker if were lucky but the WR rookie pool is very deep once again so we'll get a WR. With more drafts picks we can address some other needs and still spend all that cap money. Icing on the cake is having Foles at QB. Not saying he a franchise QB but he proven and very good I believe.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Tramon Williams - DB - Packers
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports the Seahawks will pursue free agent CB Tramon Williams when the market opens.
Seattle GM John Schneider played a role in signing Williams as a UDFA when Schneider was in Green Bay's front office, and the Seahawks need a replacement for free agent Byron Maxwell. The Packers offered Williams a two-year, $8 million deal but were quickly rejected. Williams reportedly wants "at least" $5 million annually from his next team. Seattle has nearly $25 million in cap room.
Related: Seahawks

Darnell Dockett - DL - 49ers
49ers signed DE Darnell Dockett to a two-year, $7.5M contract.
The deal includes $4M in the first year but only $2M guaranteed. It's more than the Cardinals offered Dockett to come back, but it still reflects his status as a 34-year-old (in May) who missed all of 2014 due to an August ACL tear. In San Francisco, Dockett will compete with Tank Carradine and others for the starting 3-4 end job vacated by Ray McDonald. Most likely, Dockett will end up in a heavy rotation.

Shane Vereen - RB - Patriots
Free agent RB Shane Vereen is now reportedly seeking $3.5M per season.
Just a few weeks ago, Vereen was laughably looking for $5M per season. This $3.5M number is far more palatable for a quality passing back, but the Patriots "have shown no willingness to touch that," according to the Boston Herald. So it sounds like Vereen will be playing elsewhere in 2015 -- he'll draw plenty of interest at this $3.5M number.

Harry Douglas - WR - Free Agent
Free agent WR Harry Douglas will meet with the Titans on Thursday.
Playing for Tennessee would be a nice opportunity for Douglas, who has spent the bulk of his career playing second fiddle to talents like Julio Jones and Roddy White. Tennessee has plenty of cap space to lure in free agents. Douglas will undoubtedly meet with other teams, but this seems like a solid fit.

Vince Wilfork - DL - Free Agent
Vince Wilfork announced on Twitter the Patriots will not be picking up his 2015 option, making him a free agent.
New England saves $8.1 million against the cap by moving on from one of their all-time greats. With all of the Patriots' other offseason commitments (Devin McCourty, Darrelle Revis, etc.), Wilfork had to see this coming. Big Vince said he is not considering retirement, and coming off a decent run-stopping season, we wouldn't expect him to. It will be interesting to see how the market shapes out for the 33-year-old. Wilfork went to five Pro Bowls during his 11-year stay in Foxboro and won two Super Bowls. The Patriots drafted his possible replacement, Dom Easley, in the first round last year.
Related: Patriots, Dominique Easley

Walter Thurmond III - DB - Giants
The Giants reportedly want to re-sign CB Walter Thurmond III for something close to the minimum.
Thurmond, a talented nickel corner, is worth well more than the minimum. But constant injuries (he only lasted two games before tearing his pec in 2014) have crushed his market value. Thurmond will head to the open market hoping to force the Giants' hand with a better offer.

Antrel Rolle - DB - Giants
Free agent FS Antrel Rolle hasn't "had discussions with any teams" including the Giants.
He went out of his way to clarify on Twitter, denying "allegations" of him negotiating numbers on a new contract. By keeping his options open, teams are going to start bidding for Rolle once free agency opens March 10 and his price will likely go up. It's Economics 101.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
wanted him before he went to the giants and cowboys

Chris Canty 6'7"/315 is a huge player, but IMO, he's done. He'll be 33 @ the start of the season, and if he was worth a darn, he would not be looking for his 4th team. No thanks, let's get younger, cheaper & faster.

Go Jets...Cyborg

U

ucrenegade

Chris Canty 6'7"/315 is a huge player, but IMO, he's done. He'll be 33 @ the start of the season, and if he was worth a darn, he would not be looking for his 4th team. No thanks, let's get younger, cheaper & faster.

Go Jets...Cyborg

i agree which is why i said i wanted him before

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Bears trying to unload Brandon Marshall for a mid round pick.

I don't want him. He's a typical, super talented problem child. Locker room killer.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Our biggest issue is every team has cap space. You saw the Seahawks have $25 mill in cap space? Free agents can sign wherever they want. Our problem is going to be we're going to have to way over pay to secure talents. We may want Jeremy Maclin, and he'll have to decide to I sign with the Eagles for $8-9 mill a year or the Jets for $12-13? We've been turned into the Raiders where we need to offer large some of cash to get people's attention (see Cobb deciding between Packers $9 mill a year vs Oakland's 12-13 mill on the table). The good thing is we have the money, it's just too bad we have to pay $8 mill per year players $12-13 mill a year to come here. I dont think we have a shot at Maclin, Coob, or Torrey Smith for under $12 mill per season, and none of those guys are Dez, Demarius, Julio, etc...but they will be paid like it...

J

Jet Setter

Our biggest issue is every team has cap space. You saw the Seahawks have $25 mill in cap space? Free agents can sign wherever they want. Our problem is going to be we're going to have to way over pay to secure talents. We may want Jeremy Maclin, and he'll have to decide to I sign with the Eagles for $8-9 mill a year or the Jets for $12-13? We've been turned into the Raiders where we need to offer large some of cash to get people's attention (see Cobb deciding between Packers $9 mill a year vs Oakland's 12-13 mill on the table). The good thing is we have the money, it's just too bad we have to pay $8 mill per year players $12-13 mill a year to come here. I dont think we have a shot at Maclin, Coob, or Torrey Smith for under $12 mill per season, and none of those guys are Dez, Demarius, Julio, etc...but they will be paid like it...

So let me get this straight, you're suggesting that teams such as the Jets will have to pay upwards of 30-50% more than contenders for the same FA's??? Those are the numbers you're presenting.

I find that absurd. That's strictly a fan's perspective thinking that these players care sooooo much about winning. It's not. It's about the paycheck. These guys have only one run to make such cash and they will take advantage to the utmost of their ability and leverage. Fans get jaded by this mentality because they are secretly jealous in many cases of the amount of money they stand to make. I'm not saying that's your rationale, just saying.
And listing Seattle's cap space doesn't really cut it for me. They have needs and must re-sign players on their roster as everyone else does. While I would acknowledge it may take a higher offer for bad teams, those numbers are not remotely close. Sorry, I'm calling BS on that.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
So let me get this straight, you're suggesting that teams such as the Jets will have to pay upwards of 30-50% more than contenders for the same FA's??? Those are the numbers you're presenting.

I find that absurd. That's strictly a fan's perspective thinking that these players care sooooo much about winning. It's not. It's about the paycheck. These guys have only one run to make such cash and they will take advantage to the utmost of their ability and leverage. Fans get jaded by this mentality because they are secretly jealous in many cases of the amount of money they stand to make. I'm not saying that's your rationale, just saying.
And listing Seattle's cap space doesn't really cut it for me. They have needs and must re-sign players on their roster as everyone else does. While I would acknowledge it may take a higher offer for bad teams, those numbers are not remotely close. Sorry, I'm calling BS on that.

Okay. Let's see how these 3 turn out:

Spiller offered $4.5, lets see what % higher his FA contract turns out (Bills were 9-7 last year):

C.J. Spiller - RB - Bills
NBC Washington's Dianna Marie Russini reports free agent C.J. Spiller turned down a contract worth $4.5 million per year from the Bills.
The Bills then decided to move on, swinging a trade for LeSean McCoy. Spiller is likely seeking $5 million-plus on the open market. He probably has a decent shot at landing it. Spiller is still just 27 years old and has plenty of tread left on the tires after averaging just over 165 touches per season his first five years.

Randall Cobb was offered $9 mill per year by packers, let's see how much he gets in FA:

Randall Cobb - WR - Packers
According to ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky, indications are free agent Randall Cobb is seeking a contract that averages $9M per season.
The extension Jordy Nelson signed with the Packers last season averaged $9.75M, comparable Victor Cruz is making $7.64M and last year's No. 1 free agent wideout DeSean Jackson got $8M annually. Cobb's demands could very well be met on the open market come March, as he's just 24 years old and uniquely explosive out of the slot. And we don't doubt that the Packers, who are scheduled to have nearly $23M in cap space, want him back. But it's unclear if GM Ted Thompson wants to dump all this cash on Cobb, especially with intriguing cheap youngsters like Davante Adams and Jeff Janis on the roster.

Torrey Smith was offered $7 mill per year by the Ravens, lets see what he gets:

Torrey Smith - WR - Ravens
CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Ravens offered free agent Torrey Smith a five-year, $35 million deal that included $19 million guaranteed before the season.
It's an offer Smith will have a hard time matching in free agency after posting a 49/767/11 line in 2014. Smith is one of the league's very best deep threats, but his game hasn't evolved to that of a true No. 1 receiver's. Re-signing with Baltimore makes the most sense for both sides, but Smith may need to test the open market to ensure fair value.

J

Jet Setter

Okay. Let's see how these 3 turn out:

Spiller offered $4.5, lets see what % higher his FA contract turns out (Bills were 9-7 last year):

C.J. Spiller - RB - Bills
NBC Washington's Dianna Marie Russini reports free agent C.J. Spiller turned down a contract worth $4.5 million per year from the Bills.
The Bills then decided to move on, swinging a trade for LeSean McCoy. Spiller is likely seeking $5 million-plus on the open market. He probably has a decent shot at landing it. Spiller is still just 27 years old and has plenty of tread left on the tires after averaging just over 165 touches per season his first five years.

Randall Cobb was offered $9 mill per year by packers, let's see how much he gets in FA:

According to ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky, indications are free agent Randall Cobb is seeking a contract that averages $9M per season.
The extension Jordy Nelson signed with the Packers last season averaged $9.75M, comparable Victor Cruz is making $7.64M and last year's No. 1 free agent wideout DeSean Jackson got $8M annually. Cobb's demands could very well be met on the open market come March, as he's just 24 years old and uniquely explosive out of the slot. And we don't doubt that the Packers, who are scheduled to have nearly $23M in cap space, want him back. But it's unclear if GM Ted Thompson wants to dump all this cash on Cobb, especially with intriguing cheap youngsters like Davante Adams and Jeff Janis on the roster.

Torrey Smith was offered $7 mill per year by the Ravens, lets see what he gets:

Torrey Smith - WR - Ravens
CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Ravens offered free agent Torrey Smith a five-year, $35 million deal that included $19 million guaranteed before the season.
It's an offer Smith will have a hard time matching in free agency after posting a 49/767/11 line in 2014. Smith is one of the league's very best deep threats, but his game hasn't evolved to that of a true No. 1 receiver's. Re-signing with Baltimore makes the most sense for both sides, but Smith may need to test the open market to ensure fair value.

Oh, I see. You're one of these "I told you so" kind of posters who's never wrong? Well, you're wrong here, pal. Dead wrong.

How about digging up some past facts that support your outrageous claims? Up to 50% mark-up for Jax and Oak??

Your little scenario proves nothing. Every single FA on the market is looking to make more than their team offered them. That's a given.

Baltimore's offer was before he had a terrible season. Invalid.

Spiller isn't coming from a winning team. Inconsequential.

The Packers have already tied up a lot of money at one WR position in Nelson. That's a factor you didn't consider.

You can't sit there and arbitrarily state that poor teams must pay up to 50% markup value for the same players. Sorry. You'll need to do better to convince of this weak argument. Heck, didn't Revis come to the Jets BEFORE the Patriots last year?? Oops.
There are so many factors at play in all of this that you are ignoring except this valiant notion that players are lining up to play for winning teams and will take so much less money to do so. The players union doesn't actually allow for this and it's not in the player's best interest financially. These are facts and factors.

But don't let that stop you from patting yourself on the back when these guys get their deserved market value payday which will all exceed the offers from their original teams. That will be your evidence in your world, right? Whatever.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Spiller didn't come from a 9-7 winning team? Holy crap, let's just stop now. You've already proven a lack of basic knowledge, no need to get into complex stuff like elementary math. The animosity you spew just comes from an internal loathing due to being self aware of your lack of football IQ. I wont stoke the fire that burns inside you for your own inadequacies any further...but I did enjoy reading your contradictions from your previous post to your last one. This wont happen (post 1)...obviously its going to happen (post 2).

J

Jet Setter

Spiller didn't come from a 9-7 winning team? Holy crap, let's just stop now. You've already proven a lack of basic knowledge, no need to get into complex stuff like elementary math. The animosity you spew just comes from an internal loathing due to being self aware of your lack of football IQ. I wont stoke the fire that burns inside you for your own inadequacies any further...but I did enjoy reading your contradictions from your previous post to your last one. This wont happen (post 1)...obviously its going to happen (post 2).

Middle of the pack team that didn't qualify for the playoffs for the umpteenth time. If you want to label them as a superior team, do so in your own world. Not mine. The Bills suck! Your point remains inconsequential.
FA's will not be lining up there to play for Rex and his circus along with Incognito.

And stop trying to distract from the point by attacking my "IQ" or lack thereof. Stay focused, Superman. I didn't attack you.

No names, no animosity, just challenging your assertion from which you have not provided viable, supporting evidence. I'm still waiting for proof of this imaginary markup or contender discount, whatever you want to call it....

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Do we really need the attacks on people's intelligence when they don't agree with you?

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Bears trying to unload Brandon Marshall for a mid round pick.

I don't want him. He's a typical, super talented problem child. Locker room killer.

I'm tired of everyone's used crap @ WR, let's draft Cooper WR and add him to the mix. I think the Raiders are going Kevin White because he's an athletic freak. Those one year flash in the pan players scare me, let's get the sure thing with Cooper.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Middle of the pack team that didn't qualify for the playoffs for the umpteenth time. If you want to label them as a superior team, do so in your own world. Not mine. The Bills suck! Your point remains inconsequential.
FA's will not be lining up there to play for Rex and his circus along with Incognito.

And stop trying to distract from the point by attacking my "IQ" or lack thereof. Stay focused, Superman. I didn't attack you.

No names, no animosity, just challenging your assertion from which you have not provided viable, supporting evidence. I'm still waiting for proof of this imaginary markup or contender discount, whatever you want to call it....

I agree. People will not shy away from NY or ask for this outrageous premium. The jets are a a top destination for free agents. I'd say much more so than buffalo.

S

sg3

I agree. People will not shy away from NY or ask for this outrageous premium. The jets are a destination.
Well said..

The Ciminis, Mehtas, Benignos and Francesas are the ones who promulgate indisputably false ideas such as the one above.

Some posters buy this crap. Thankfully it appears that here at this haven of serious Jet talk, there are many who see it for the unsupported bullsh*t that it is

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Dolphins remain expected frontrunners for Suh

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Minnesota Vikings v Detroit Lions
Getty Images
There’s no reason to doubt Mike Silver’s report that the Raiders are “planning” to host defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh for a visit next week. (“That’s not the stench of raw sewage in the locker room . . . it’s just a bad batch of potpourri.”) But there’s also no reason to believe the Dolphins aren’t the frontrunners for Suh’s services.

PFT continues to hear that the team with the best chance of landing Suh is the Dolphins. And for good reason; owner Stephen Ross previously whiffed on coach Jim Harbaugh, quarterback Peyton Manning, and coach Jeff Fisher. Ross wants to make a splash, as does new executive V.P. of football operations Mike Tannenbaum.

Ross won the rights to receiver Mike Wallace two years ago, but that hasn’t worked out very well. Suh could end up working out even better. Or maybe not. Until we know whether Suh gives the Dolphins a realistic bump in their on-field fate, Suh will nevertheless create plenty of buzz and sell plenty of tickets and move plenty of merchandise in Miami.

When it comes to a contest between the Raiders and the Dolphins, Ross has ultimate ace in the hole — the absence of state income taxes in Florida. In California, the rate for the really rich is 13.3 percent.

So if Suh signs a deal that pays him $15 million per year in California, the Golden State will withhold $1.995 million in taxes. Per year. In Florida, the Sunshine State will take the grand total of zero dollars and zero cents from Suh’s game checks.

Over the course of a seven-year deal (if Suh is there for all seven), the difference becomes $13.965 million. In other words, he’d be working nearly one full year out of seven to pay for the privilege of living and working in Califoria.

The only way the Raiders can compete with the Dolphins and $15 million per year would be to enough to get Suh to the same net after federal and state taxes. Which would be roughly $18 million per year.

The primary alternative for Suh will be staying put with the Lions. In Michigan, the state income tax rate is only 4.25 percent, meaning that Suh would contribute $637,500 to the state budget every year on a deal worth $15 million annually.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Where free agents land is up to 2 people. The players wife & his agent. The wives want great school systems, shopping, nice neighborhood, and the agent wants the best deal regardless where it is. The player goes where he's told !

Go Jets...Cyborg

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Greg Olsen - TE - Panthers
Panthers signed TE Greg Olsen to a three-year extension through 2018.
Headed into the final year of his contract, Olsen was set to make $5.25 million. It's unclear what the new financials are, but the extension is well deserved for one of the league's most consistent players. Olsen has caught at least 69 passes each of the past three seasons, and posted new career highs in receptions (84) and yards (1,008) last season. He turns 30 next week.

Jerome Simpson - WR - 49ers
49ers signed WR Jerome Simpson to a two-year contract.
It's a flier for a team with an uncertain situation at receiver. Now 29, Simpson served a three-game suspension for (again) violating the league's policy on substance abuse last season, and was cut loose by the Vikings before his ban was through. Simpson has always been a competent deep threat, but that won't be enough to guarantee a spot on the 49ers' 53-man roster.

Devin McCourty - DB - Patriots
NBC Washington reports free agent S Devin McCourty is "high" on the Eagles' wish list, and will also be pursued by the Giants.
The Eagles have spent the week clearing cap space, and have a hole at free safety with Nate Allen expected to walk in free agency. The Eagles and G-Men won't be McCourty's only pursuers, as he's far and away this year's top-available safety. Most sign point to the Patriots getting outbid for his services.
Related: Giants, Eagles

Cary Williams - DB - Free Agent
The Nashville Tennessean reports free agent CB Cary Williams is "tentatively scheduled" to visit the Titans on Monday.
The 2-14 Titans can't stop getting connected to 30something free agents. Williams is in Seattle on Thursday, and expected to visit the Jets next. The Baltimore Sun reports the Steelers and Ravens are also interested. It sounds like Williams will have a deal before the start of free agency on Tuesday.

ESPN's Adam Schefter believes the Raiders will "prioritize" Randall Cobb and Julius Thomas over Ndamukong Suh in free agency.
Schefter shared his thoughts in a Thursday radio hit, one that came before Mike Silver's report that the Raiders are planning to host Suh. Of the three, Suh would make by far the biggest impact for the woebegone Raiders, but perhaps they don't believe they're realistic players for his services.
Related: Raiders

Michael Crabtree - WR - 49ers
CSN Bay Area reports the 49ers are interested in re-signing free agent Michael Crabtree.
There have been mixed reports on Crabtree's San Francisco future, but CSN Bay Area is an extremely reliable source for all things 49ers. An anonymous AFC executive believes Crabtree is worth $4-$5 million annually. Crabtree will undoubtedly set his sights higher, but will likely be disappointed by his market. He hasn't been the same since tearing his Achilles' tendon, and aside from his late-season push in 2012, has been highly inconsistent throughout his career.

Ndamukong Suh - DL - Lions
Profootballtalk reports the Dolphins remain the "team to watch" for free agent Ndamukong Suh.
Mike Florio's report comes roughly an hour after NFL Network reported that the Raiders are planning to host Suh for a visit. "Multiple league sources" have told Yahoo's Rand Getlin that the Dolphins and Colts are prepared to make the "strongest pushes" for Suh. The smoke connecting Suh to Miami grows thicker by the day.
Related: Dolphins
Source

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
I agree. People will not shy away from NY or ask for this outrageous premium. The jets are a a top destination for free agents. I'd say much more so than buffalo.

There is one thing that can sometimes hurt NY teams........ taxes