Best Concert you ever went to

U

ucrenegade

For me it was a tie.

I saw collective soul at Darien Lake and they were awesome, didn't care to much for the band that opened for them the cranberries but I was in a state of getting inebriated when they were playing.

The other best concert was at the ozzfest in pittsburgh pa it was the first year when black sabbath got back together with ozzy and man did they rock.

another good one i saw was creed, pappa roach, and staind but they were not on the level of the first two.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Having a passing interest in the subject, I guess I'll surprise you and answer this one ...

As native NYers know, there is an outdoor skating rink in Central Park (The Wollman Skating Rink). From 1966 through 1976, they ran summer concerts there. some of you may have gone to some of these. It started as the Rheingold Central Park Music Festival but from '68 on it was the Schaefer Music Festival. It was a very small facility for the quality of shows there. It was rivaled only by My Father's Place on Roslyn for cheap shows by amazing acts you could sit right in front of. I remember it being only $2.50 for the floor and $1.50 for the rear stands, but you could sit on the rocks outside and hear the music for free. The rocks themselves created a nice bowl to reflect back the sound, the PA system was excellent and it was fairly close to heaven. If you got there early enough, you sat right in front of the band (as I'll demonstrate in a second). Of course, one arrives in a mood that was, shall we say (ahem) ... appropriate for music, which was further augmented in ones seats.

Check out some of these shows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaefer_Music_Festival#Festival_lineups

My very first concert was there, Richie Havens with Cashman, Pistilli and West opening. That's the Cashman of Willie, Mickey and the Duke fame, but years before.

By summer of '73, my biggest heroes and centers of influence were King Crimson and Mahavishnu Orchestra. They were both there that summer and gave the two best shows I ever saw. Both were on spectacular NYC evenings, outdoors and historic and I got there early enough in the day to sit a few rows back from the stage. This was KC's Lark's Tongue's tour (Fripp-Wetton-Bruford and David Cross on violin), arguably the pinnacle of the entire King Crimson catalog. They didn't always hit stride with every show but they did that night, including improvs that worked (they were about 50-50 with those normally).

The Mahavishnu shows (over 2 nights) were recorded and became the Nothingness to Eternity live album. I was psyched. This was the Tom Seaver of bands as far as I was concerned. At the beginning of the album is a trilogy starting with Sunlit Path. Cobham hit the gong to start it, which was also how he started Birds of Fire, so I shouted out "Yeah!" quite loudly. You can hear it on the album. There are only three pieces on the album and they did this plus the very best parts of BOF and Inner Mounting Flame, plus a Laird piece that Goodman and Hammer covered on their post Mahavishnu collaboration.

As far as current shows go, Steve Hackett and Musical Box are both doing great shows with old (pre-commercial crap) Genesis and on 6/21, Al DiMeola is playing electric again at Ridgefield, another tiny venue. That should prove worthy of mention.

I know that this is a bit sacrilege, but I'd give up Jets playoffs for the rest of my lifetime for several more years of the level of musicality that used to exist.

U

ucrenegade

It's awesome when you can catch shows before they become big-time and usually sell out. I remember my roommate in college telling me he used to watch the Goo goo dolls playing in bars in buffalo where the group was formed.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
It's awesome when you can catch shows before they become big-time and usually sell out. I remember my roommate in college telling me he used to watch the Goo goo dolls playing in bars in buffalo where the group was formed.

Several centuries ago (well at least it seems that way) I went to a small college in October in NH for a weekend with a few friends to visit another friend who we had been in bands with. There was virtually nothing to do. We were told that there was a concert in the gym at Franklin Pierce College nearby, so we went. We showed up and there was equipment set up on the floor like it was a high school battle of the bands. No seats, just the wooden bleachers pulled out. There couldn't have been more than a hundred people there so we went and sat crosslegged on the floor right in front of the singer. Turned out that the band had released an album that past January and a new one just a month prior but wasn't selling big time. The name of the band was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

So the concert started and we went crazy over David Sancious, the keyboard player. Springsteen fans would remember his excellent solo on Kitty's Back and piano intro to NYC Serenade, both of which he presented extended versions. I remember having to sssh one of my friends who was saying, quite loudly, that Sancious could play but everyone else is just OK. He singled out the guitar and sax chairs as ones needing significant improvement. He even was making fun of Bruce's Tele. It occurred me that Springsteen and Clemons could hear him and it was making me very uncomfortable. Thankfully we moved back to the bleachers as the floor got uncomfortable after a while.

Sancious left the band after Born to Run to form Tone and later did studio work plus serving as Stanley Clarke's guitarist. I understand that Springsteen fellow and that guy who played sax were able to eek out a living playing around for a few years.

Moral of the story is, you never know who you are looking at whether it be music, sports or whatever, so have some respect or your friends will bust your chops forever if you insult a future star in front of his face.

U

ucrenegade

I have a similar story although much shorter. When I was going to college in utica one of my roomates was dting a girl from herkimer college just up the road and she asked if we wanted to go see this new upcoming band at her school. So we said sure didn't even know the band to well. We get there and it's a place smaller than a auditorium but it had a stage. We find our seats and look around there is less than 50 people.

The band came out and played awesome real good set. We find out a few weeks later they put out a CD it turned out that band was named Saliva.

The Wicker Man

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Queen
Jethro Tull/Saga
Blue Oyster Cult/Foghat
WASP/Armored Saint/Metallica-WASP was the headliner it was at former bowling alley converted into a bar.
David Gilmour-4th row-he was awesome.
Judas Preist/Iron Maiden
Dio
Dream Theater
Symphony X

Oraelo

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
First concert ever was Madonna at orange county fairgrounds(many years ago) that woman puts on a great show.
My best concert is impossible to choose though, wayyyy too many.
Any one of the 30something Grateful Dead shows I saw (lost track of how many somewhere in the cloud)
Monsters of rock 2nd row
Many Dave Matthews band shows
My favorite local band From Good Homes too many times to count
A few Genesis shows (unfortunately never with Gabriel)
As a retired drummer, seeing Rush was always like watching my god play
A few gathering of the vibes weekend festivals (there is that cloud again)
Woodstock numbers 2 and 3
I'm sure there are more, yup, the cloud again.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

Saw them in the 1980's at my friends club in Ft. Lauderdale. They did all of their hits, ALL OF THEM (and they had like thirty hit records), and they still sounded amazing, harmonies were tight and Valli was still at the top of his game.

Earth Wind & Fire was great too, saw them about the same time, mid 1980's.

sect313

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
Violent Femmes at Roseland in '94

First Dave Matthews Concert at the Garden in '96

Tom Petty in Saratoga around '07 where the Allmans opened for him. petty did not go on until about 11

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Several centuries ago (well at least it seems that way) I went to a small college in October in NH for a weekend with a few friends to visit another friend who we had been in bands with. There was virtually nothing to do. We were told that there was a concert in the gym at Franklin Pierce College nearby, so we went. We showed up and there was equipment set up on the floor like it was a high school battle of the bands. No seats, just the wooden bleachers pulled out. There couldn't have been more than a hundred people there so we went and sat crosslegged on the floor right in front of the singer. Turned out that the band had released an album that past January and a new one just a month prior but wasn't selling big time. The name of the band was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

So the concert started and we went crazy over David Sancious, the keyboard player. Springsteen fans would remember his excellent solo on Kitty's Back and piano intro to NYC Serenade, both of which he presented extended versions. I remember having to sssh one of my friends who was saying, quite loudly, that Sancious could play but everyone else is just OK. He singled out the guitar and sax chairs as ones needing significant improvement. He even was making fun of Bruce's Tele. It occurred me that Springsteen and Clemons could hear him and it was making me very uncomfortable. Thankfully we moved back to the bleachers as the floor got uncomfortable after a while.

Sancious left the band after Born to Run to form Tone and later did studio work plus serving as Stanley Clarke's guitarist. I understand that Springsteen fellow and that guy who played sax were able to eek out a living playing around for a few years.

Moral of the story is, you never know who you are looking at whether it be music, sports or whatever, so have some respect or your friends will bust your chops forever if you insult a future star in front of his face.

Whoa...

What's more, I live like 15-20 minutes from Franklin Pierce, up here in the middle of nowhere along the MA/NH border.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Since some are bringing up local bands, before they called it quits after 25 years, Black 47 put on a hell of a show. Saw them probably a couple dozen times.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Whoa...

What's more, I live like 15-20 minutes from Franklin Pierce, up here in the middle of nowhere along the MA/NH border.

Stunningly beautiful area Sack, close to the exciting city of Keene :)

The college we went to see my friend at was Nathaniel Hawthorne in Antrim. I remember people calling it Nanny Ha Ha. Closed in the 80's though.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Stunningly beautiful area Sack, close to the exciting city of Keene :)

The college we went to see my friend at was Nathaniel Hawthorne in Antrim. I remember people calling it Nanny Ha Ha. Closed in the 80's though.

Damn...wish it was still there. I'm looking for tenure track in the area, now that I have my Ph.D.

I used to drive through Antrim every Monday night last fall on my way to teach a course in Henniker, at New England College.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Keene was PLENTY exciting last October when the annual pumpkin fest, which is usually a great family event, turned into a college kid riot.

U

ucrenegade

I also saw Black Label society they were pretty damn good Rob Zombie was real good also, as was Disturbed and their version of land of confusion may be better than the original.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
My first concert was a birthday present from my dad, 5th grade, and it is my all time favorite: Steve Earle, Black Crows, and Aerosmith.

I also went to Live 8 in Philly. That was awesome.

lil Wayne vs drake recently was an awesome show.

U

ucrenegade

My first concert was a birthday present from my dad, 5th grade, and it is my all time favorite: Steve Earle, Black Crows, and Aerosmith.

I also went to Live 8 in Philly. That was awesome.

lil Wayne vs drake recently was an awesome show.

can't say i have ever been to a hip hop or soul music show.

I did want to see boyz to men in high school but couldn't get tickets.

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
Never saw the biggest names but the most fun I ever had was in Central Park at the Schaefer concerts back in the day.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
not a conerts, but ive seen almost every cirque du soleil. there are a couple that their home base are overseas i have yet to see, but those stationed and that have toured the US, i have seen them all (and have the dvd if available, but they recently stopped doing that).

Ka and O in Vegas are my two favorites.