Frank Pepe says I am right.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global

Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana

ยท

https://www.facebook.com/#
Our tomato sauce is made from imported Italian tomatoes with no added anything (seriously!). We blend our sauce daily
๐Ÿ…
๐Ÿ•
๐Ÿ”ฅ

Sorry it is not gravy lol

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Frank's birthday is on Saturday. We go every year on that date to celebrate his coal fired goodness. We have been lobbying for a special discount for that date. So far all we've gotten are weird looks.

We brought up the gravy vs sauce issue in Italy and with my in laws. Mrs. Fud was born there (Venice) and her parents didn't come here until their late 20's so they are pretty much authentic (which is unfortunate but that's another story altogether). They say that gravy is meat based and sauce is fruit based, then look confused that someone doesn't understand something that basic. The family over there said the same thing. They are Basitalia so maybe that is a difference? Altitalia, Basitalia and Sicilia are like three different countries

Of course, only the first part matters , so on Saturday, a large with half Amanti Della Carne and half ???

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
Frank's birthday is on Saturday. We go every year on that date to celebrate his coal fired goodness. We have been lobbying for a special discount for that date. So far all we've gotten are weird looks.

We brought up the gravy vs sauce issue in Italy and with my in laws. Mrs. Fud was born there (Venice) and her parents didn't come here until their late 20's so they are pretty much authentic (which is unfortunate but that's another story altogether). They say that gravy is meat based and sauce is fruit based, then look confused that someone doesn't understand something that basic. The family over there said the same thing. They are Basitalia so maybe that is a difference? Altitalia, Basitalia and Sicilia are like three different countries

Of course, only the first part matters , so on Saturday, a large with half Amanti Della Carne and half ???
A guy who used to work for me said his dad built that oven

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
You haven't lived until you've experienced a matzoh brownie. Matzoh liberally doused with Fox's U-Bet. lol
Grew up 5 blocks from them . They were at 412 Thatford Ave. , Brooklyn. An egg cream without Fox's ain't an egg cream!
Please don't ask if it contains cream. Milk, seltzer, syrup and stir.
Egg cream.jpg

Last edited:

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Grew up 5 blocks from them . They were at 412 Thatford Ave. , Brooklyn. An egg cream without Fox's ain't an egg cream!
View attachment 5179
Just one of those NYC experiences that folks outside the area can't appreciate. I loved getting egg creams as a kid. Made ones at home when my son was young. But not the same as one from "the fountain".

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
View attachment 5179

Yeah, but what order? milk>seltzer>chocolate? Many opinions on this. I 've actually heard arguments over it. Mom's was milk>yoohoo (she was an amatuer artist, but culinary arts was not one of the arts she was good at)

Two more eggcreams from heaven:
The candy store with the counter off of E 2nd near M or N off Ocean parkway
The corner store underneath the LIRR at Woodside where you catch the 7 to Willits Pt

The only thing better is sitting at the counter while a milkshake is made in front of you on those old green Hamilton machines, they threw in some extra ice cream, a spoonful of malt, served in a glass in a pewter holder. If they are really cool, they'd leave the metal thing it was mixed in so you get the extra too. All best served with a copy of the lastest Sporting News to check out the Mets minor leaguers progress.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Yeah, but what order? milk>seltzer>chocolate? Many opinions on this. I 've actually heard arguments over it. Mom's was milk>yoohoo (she was an amatuer artist, but culinary arts was not one of the arts she was good at)

Two more eggcreams from heaven:
The candy store with the counter off of E 2nd near M or N off Ocean parkway
The corner store underneath the LIRR at Woodside where you catch the 7 to Willits Pt

The only thing better is sitting at the counter while a milkshake is made in front of you on those old green Hamilton machines, they threw in some extra ice cream, a spoonful of malt, served in a glass in a pewter holder. If they are really cool, they'd leave the metal thing it was mixed in so you get the extra too. All best served with a copy of the lastest Sporting News to check out the Mets minor leaguers progress.
Great post. Today, folks have drug stores like CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. But I can still recall being a kid and getting a fountain-made Coke or egg cream at my local pharmacy. Sitting on a stool in front of a marble counter where the pharmacist would come over and make it. Man, that takes me back.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Followed by a game of Hit The Penny afterwards with a "Spaldeen".
(Didn't take much to make us happy)
View attachment 5184
Punchball, stickball, hardball, softball, basketball, tag/freeze tag, hide & seek, riding bikes....We all never stopped moving. We were all mostly rail thin and in great physical shape.

I would love to know what you'd get back then in a place like Iowa if you asked a store owner for a spaldeen? Or a "clincher"?