Frank Pepe says I am right.

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Punchball, stickball, hardball, softball, basketball, tag/freeze tag, hide & seek, riding bikes....We all never stopped moving. We were all mostly rail thin and in great physical shape.

I would love to know what you'd get back then in a place like Iowa if you asked a store owner for a spaldeen? Or a "clincher"?
A Pennsy Pinky?
Pennsy Pinkie.jpg

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Followed by a game of Hit The Penny afterwards with a "Spaldeen".
(Didn't take much to make us happy)
View attachment 5184

The rich kids had spaldeens and premade stickball bats. Not so rich had pennsy pinkies and a broom handle taped and cut down.

So how did your neighborhood play stickball? One bounce, hit it and run the bases or strikezone against the wall and distance? For us it was how many were playing. Needed at least 6 for the street game but only two "against the wall".
Although the strikezone game is better with a tennisball so you can throw curves.

When was the last time you saw any kids doing this?

We also had a full 9 man baseball team (when you are a boomer, you had kids your age in almost every house) so we can play more often than any league. Way better than little league or Colt. We grew up next to a big county park. One side was a white collar neighborhood, one a blue collar and we played each other almost everyday. Wouldn't it be great to do this all over again and play ball again but girls and music put an end to that back then. Never occurred to me that we replaced good clean fun with the two most costly and emotional aspects of young (and old) adult life

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
DId you guys actually play Johnny on a Pony? I've never even seen that done.

City kids and Long Island kids were very different. One of the city kids moved in when we were preteens and it was like he was 10 years older than us. Cigarettes, stealing sips of daddy's booze, Playboy collection, etc. Shocking! Still haven't caught up :).

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
Punchball, stickball, hardball, softball, basketball, tag/freeze tag, hide & seek, riding bikes....We all never stopped moving. We were all mostly rail thin and in great physical shape.

I would love to know what you'd get back then in a place like Iowa if you asked a store owner for a spaldeen? Or a "clincher"?
Wow you are all so old. Glad I am only 29

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics

City kids and Long Island kids were very different. One of the city kids moved in when we were preteens and it was like he was 10 years older than us. Cigarettes, stealing sips of daddy's booze, Playboy collection, etc. Shocking! Still haven't caught up :).
I had heard of the games, but never played Johnny On A Pony or Ringalevio. And I agree with your other post above about using sawed off broom sticks in place of stickball bats. Our Moms often wondered WTF happened to their brooms. lol Of course you needed to add some black electrical tape to the broom sticks.

And our version of stickball was against a wall with a painted strike zone, too. I never played the version in the street. That was reserved for touch football where we'd go blasting into cars, dent others with errant throws, and/or almost get killed making a catch into an intersection without looking for traffic.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
I had heard of the games, but never played Johnny On A Pony or Ringalevio. And I agree with your other post above about using sawed off broom sticks in place of stickball bats. Our Moms often wondered WTF happened to their brooms. lol Of course you needed to add some black electrical tape to the broom sticks.

And our version of stickball was against a wall with a painted strike zone, too. I never played the version in the street. That was reserved for touch football where we'd go blasting into cars, dent others with errant throws, and/or almost get killed making a catch into an intersection without looking for traffic.
Bigmoe is the last one

Last edited:

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
That was reserved for touch football where we'd go blasting into cars, dent others with errant throws, and/or almost get killed making a catch into an intersection without looking for traffic.
My college friends and I were playing touch football in the street in front of McSorley's at around 2 AM and some spoilsport neighbor called the cops on us. Ah, the memories.
Later

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
My college friends and I were playing touch football in the street in front of McSorley's at around 2 AM and some spoilsport neighbor called the cops on us. Ah, the memories.
Later
That's an absolute classic. But now you have me thinking about the ale, cheese plate and the DOUR bartenders. I loved that place.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
It is a special place...vomit on the tables & all
I never puked in the place. But I have witnessed a few unfortunate souls in their agony. Several were drunken females who created much levity in our group. lol
Got to know the bartenders well there years ago. one of my top three bars in the world
I was just poking fun at the bartenders. Yeah, they were a gloomy bunch. But can you blame them with all the drunken slobs demanding refills? They were actually pretty cool once they knew you.

Two bars that I still miss from my NYC days are McSorley's and Old Town Tavern. We'd always wind up at the Old Town after playing in a work softball league.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Yeah, but what order? milk>seltzer>chocolate? Many opinions on this. I 've actually heard arguments over it. Mom's was milk>yoohoo (she was an amatuer artist, but culinary arts was not one of the arts she was good at)

Two more eggcreams from heaven:
The candy store with the counter off of E 2nd near M or N off Ocean parkway
The corner store underneath the LIRR at Woodside where you catch the 7 to Willits Pt

The only thing better is sitting at the counter while a milkshake is made in front of you on those old green Hamilton machines, they threw in some extra ice cream, a spoonful of malt, served in a glass in a pewter holder. If they are really cool, they'd leave the metal thing it was mixed in so you get the extra too. All best served with a copy of the lastest Sporting News to check out the Mets minor leaguers progress.
Damn. E3rd between Ditmas and F here.
When I was just toddler mom used to make me one before bed every night. If I remember her recipe and order was Irish Cream , Vodka , kahlua , in bottle , replace nipple shake,slam bedroom door.
The good old days!

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics

You missed the best one, putting the sprinkler cap on the Johnny pump in the summer, or just using a tin can to sray the water.

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics

Played Johnny-On-The-Pony often. We were on a budget. We chipped in to buy a "Spaldeen", if we were short ,a Pennsy Pinkie would have to do. We also played, "Ring -A-Levio". Run, free your teammates, pretty much mindless. See below.

View attachment 5288
Ring-A-Leevio.jpg