Haason Reddick

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
I do remember the Titans and their owner Harry Wismer, a real character. "Attendance tonight is 40,000 where 30,000 came dressed as empty seats".

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
He is a very good player but will he come here to retire as he needs his drive to be good. Also his Size is not the best. In all I think we have one year to get it done

jetkwondo

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
After doing a deep dive of stats on Huff, McDonald and Reddick I see why they let Huff go.

I found that Huff has the fastest get off in the league and applies more pressure but his sack rate is 14.0 % off of that pressure. He also only has 1 forced fumble in 4 years in the NFL. Basically not a great finisher

Reddick applies pressure and his sack rate at 20%, same goes for McD in his limited snaps last year. Reddick has 13 Forced Fumbles in the last 4 years and McDonald has already matched Huff with 1. Reddick is a proven great finisher and McD looks to be projected to be one as well.

So we have a better player for at least this year with the hope that McD will fully develop which looks very promising from his limited snaps production last season. Granted, Huff may continue to develop into a great finisher but that's unknown...

Last edited:

jetkwondo

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
More good news on McDonald for those who might have doubts....

In his limited action, McDonald was quite efficient in getting after the quarterback, totaling 12 pressures on just 99 pass-rush snaps, three of which turned into sacks, while also forcing a fumble. McDonald would rank 29th out of 198 eligible edge rushers in pass-rush win rate.

jetkwondo

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
Huff has lead the league in pressure rate the past 2 seasons
Huff is exceptional at pressuring the QB, perhaps he can develop as a finisher like Reddick.
One of the reasons McDonald was drafted was that he was exceptional in college at pressuring but more importantly in finishing in a sack or forced fumble. It's all explained in this article by Michael Nania from last year.

Thanks to his incredible bend around the edge, McDonald excels at converting his wins and pressures into sacks. Once he beats the tackle, his ability to tightly turn the corner helps him create favorable angles to the quarterback, ensuring he finishes plays with sacks instead of only forcing the quarterback to move.This is portrayed in McDonald’s statistics. McDonald had 127 total pressures in his career and an impressive 35 of those were sacks. That gives McDonald a pressure-to-sack rate of 27.6%, which is outstanding. For reference, the 2022 national average for edge rushers was 16.1%.

In the NFL, McDonald’s 27.6% rate would have placed him ninth-best out of 113 qualified edge rushers in 2022. It’s closest to Steelers edge rusher Alex Highsmith (27.3%), who finished with a sack on 15 of his 55 total pressures.

This specific trait is likely one of the main reasons why the Jets valued McDonald so highly. It’s an area where they have plenty of room to improve.

Yes, New York’s edge rushers won their battles very consistently in 2022, ranking fifth-best out of 32 edge units as they combined to create pressure on 12.5% of their pass rush snaps. But they only had 25 sacks to 172 pressures, giving them a 22nd-ranked pressure-to-sack rate of 14.5%. Finishing was an issue.

The Jets already had edge rushers who cause havoc at a consistent rate. What the Jets didn’t have is an edge rusher who can finish plays at the level of the NFL’s household-name superstars.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/04/28/ny-jets-will-mcdonald-breakdown/

Last edited:

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Wow this is breaking news :ROFLMAO: An edge rusher trying to get sacks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

“I think there were some concerns about him chasing sacks,” McLane said on 97.5 The Fanatic. “I don’t know that is what specifically Fletcher Cox was referencing, but l heard from people in the organization that Haason was one of the guys they thought was doing that.”

Not sure if they are claiming that he was breaking assignments to go get sacks or what. Without further context it's a pretty absurd accusation.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
Wow this is breaking news :ROFLMAO: An edge rusher trying to get sacks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

“I think there were some concerns about him chasing sacks,” McLane said on 97.5 The Fanatic. “I don’t know that is what specifically Fletcher Cox was referencing, but l heard from people in the organization that Haason was one of the guys they thought was doing that.”

Not sure if they are claiming that he was breaking assignments to go get sacks or what. Without further context it's a pretty absurd accusation.
knowing the jets it Ain;t good

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

That Eagles team was a mess last year.