Jets Expected To Use Franchise Tag On Marcus Maye

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
I agree. Maye has earned a new deal and the Jets can afford to give him one. Why they are considering the tag is a puzzle. MAYBE his agent has him asking for way too much money. We haven't heard anything about what he is asking so far so maybe that's the reason a deal hasn't gotten done. I'd guess he's worth around 13 per year. If he's asking like 15 then I would expect JD to say no way. Basically until I've heard both sides I am not going to criticize the Jets because the deal hasn't gotten done yet.
that we have not heard what he is asking is good imo. sign him

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
so being he is an older player
Huh?
He's 27. I have T-shirts older than that.
Not like we're talking about Frank Gore here.
Don't structure the contract like his production is going to fall off a cliff. Do what is right for both the player and the team.
Later

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
he'll be 28 start next season

he was drafted at 24 not 21 or 22 so he is on the older scale more mileage (wear n tear)
Sign him imo...unless he is greedy.......O-wait he is a jet so greed is there when you lose you ask for more hazard pay I guess

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Don't structure the contract like his production is going to fall off a cliff. Do what is right for both the player and the team.
Later
would structure it like this:

$14 M annual
1st year $12 M signing bonus
2nd year $10 M gtd
3rd year $6 M gtd
4th year $4 M gtd

that is a player contract front loaded but because of his age group and players that don't come out to the NFL early they tend to have shorter lives at this level and age 30 is the breaking point... Now if he plays at the same level the first 2 years the team could restructure his contract where he get a bump in salary but what if he doesn't and his play falls off the team now has options...

most rookie contracts around the league after 4 years the players are 25 yoa so they have a different shelf life they may get two contracts after rookie contract not sure that Maye will being he is 27 going to be 28 next year...

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Marcus Maye's agent Erik Burkhardt is seeking $17 M annual for his client reason the Jets front office is quiet it is cheaper to tag him so there is no rush unless they are preparing one way to come up with a competitive offer or go a different direction

That's pretty much what I thought was the situation as I said earlier.