Jets sign OG John Simpson

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
The first major signing of the new year, as the Jets have addressed OG. John Simpson, who is 26 and has been stout for the Ravens, has signed with the Jets. Two years, $9 million per.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
So my initial thoughts:

Pros:
Young (he's only 26)
Extremely durable
An absolute beast in the ground game, especially in getting to the second level (his pulls are also something to behold)
Does not give up many sacks
At $9 million per, he's a solid value in an escalating guard market
Pretty high on some FA rankings (The Athletic had him as their 18th overall FA)

Cons:
Penalty machine (double digits last year, including several holds)
Did not rate as high on PFF as some other OGs available
Not as high profile as some, especially for a fan base that wants big splashes as opposed to solid under-the-radar signings

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Don't know anything about him but he played in every game last season which means he will be on IR by week one. A durable OL is not JD's MO.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Don't know anything about him but he played in every game last season which means he will be on IR by week one. A durable OL is not JD's MO.
In all likelihood, yes. And Douglas will be bashed in the media for signing an injury-prone guy who had virtually no injury history when he was signed.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
So my initial thoughts:

Pros:
Young (he's only 26)
Extremely durable
An absolute beast in the ground game, especially in getting to the second level (his pulls are also something to behold)
Does not give up many sacks
At $9 million per, he's a solid value in an escalating guard market
Pretty high on some FA rankings (The Athletic had him as their 18th overall FA)

Cons:
Penalty machine (double digits last year, including several holds)
Did not rate as high on PFF as some other OGs available
Not as high profile as some, especially for a fan base that wants big splashes as opposed to solid under-the-radar signings
Agree on the penalty concerns but the guy he replaces also had 3 penalties to his 11. On the other hand Tomlinson allowed 7 sacks to his one. As mentioned he is younger and just as durable as well. His PFF grade is a couple points higher too so all things considered I'd say he is an upgrade that might help keep our elder statesman QB on the field.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Don't know what to make of this signing, it seems very JD, it's crazy meh....

Yes he was healthy last season, but the guy he is replacing was our healthiest and most durable OL member (he was awful, but he played every game).

PFF rated him 49th out of 79 guards
Laken Tomlinson was rated 55th

So Simpson is marginally better, but throw in all of those penalties (he led all Guards) and you pretty much have a wash at the position.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Well below avg guard who can be counted on to draw flags. Let's see how many third down conversions he negates.
Extra work for Morestead if resigned...
Hopefully an insurance policy for AVT....

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Don't know what to make of this signing, it seems very JD, it's crazy meh....

Yes he was healthy last season, but the guy he is replacing was our healthiest and most durable OL member (he was awful, but he played every game).

PFF rated him 49th out of 79 guards
Laken Tomlinson was rated 55th

So Simpson is marginally better, but throw in all of those penalties (he led all Guards) and you pretty much have a wash at the position.
The PFF grade I just read had his score about 1 1/2 or 2 points better than Laken and MORE IMPORTANTLY he allowed only 1 sack to Laken's 7. Yes Laken played every game but he played like a revolving door. Defensive players ran right by him. In fact I believe that in addition to the 7 sacks he also allowed 17 QB hits and 51 pressures. Being there was actually of very little value. Simpson obviously isn't a star, as Tony pointed out, but he at least does more than just stand there and watch players run by. Hopefully they can fix the penalty problems with him and others already on the roster.
:giggle:

Last edited: