Jets signing Tyron Smith

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Nah that's a great deal if healthy. He hasn't played a whole season since 2015 and that's a real thing. He better have a backup plan.
What if he did the same with Bakhtiari, signing him to a lower guaranteed contract, with more money put into bonuses on playing time? This way, as long as one of the two remains healthy, you have outstanding LT play without blasting out your cap.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Regardless, there is a world of difference between saying you don't like him because he's done a bad job, and saying you don't like that he's done a good job.

So if he doesn't make the moves, he needs to be fired for not making the moves. If he does make the moves, he's just doing everything he can to save his job.

Where's the objectivity?
I said he made a good move. I also know all the shitty moves he has made so either he put together a SB contender or he will probably be gone. I don't think it's a great move because of the injury history. It has the potential to be a great move, but also has the potential to be a Duane Brown move.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
What if he did the same with Bakhtiari, signing him to a lower guaranteed contract, with more money put into bonuses on playing time? This way, as long as one of the two remains healthy, you have outstanding LT play without blasting out your cap.
I think Smith is better than Bakhtiari, but signing both might get them 17 games. I haven't blasted him at all this off season.So far he has made some good moves.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Smith can play LT or RT, Moses is RT, now grab Bakhtiari on an A-A-Ron best friend hook up vet min with incentives and we have solved the Tackle position.

Draft strategy opens up to BPA (WR/OT/TE), or trade down and pick up more assets.

Well done JD, they still have to stay healthy and play the games, but Smith was the best option at OT and he got him.

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Maybe all those draftniks were right when they predicted the Jets are going for the Georgia TE at #10.
THis opens up that possibility since LT isn't a dire need any more.
Later

Bigmoe

Happily Confused
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I’d even trade up to get him
Can we ? I don’t even know at this point

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Maybe all those draftniks were right when they predicted the Jets are going for the Georgia TE at #10.
THis opens up that possibility since LT isn't a dire need any more.
Later
LT should still be the pick if available. Smith will miss games and probably only play here a year. I wouldn't pick RT over Bowers though.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
When I predicted that the Jets would sign him I also said they better add a reliable back up for him. He was the best OT available without a doubt and I hope he earns the 20 Mil possible because that would mean he played every game. JD did the right thing with an incentive laden contract. If they could also add Bakhtiari, as Sack suggested, that would be golden but it's not likely that he would be willing to come here as long as Smith is here because he wouldn't likely get much playing time.

On another note to sweeten this deal, Mike Williams is visiting the Jets this week. How great would that be if he signed a deal while here instead of going to his next visit. Cross your fingers guys..................

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
A one year stop gap who has not played a full season in nearly a decade (9 years) 10 games per season avg. Maybe JD goes for a low floor high ceiling Tackle to sit a season. Both current Tackles are on one year deals so the positions still have to be addressed. Mitchell and Warren have not shown enough to be counted on as backup's.
Still on paper the line looks to be very good.
Smith , Simpson, Tippmann,AVT (once healthy) and Moses. Let's hope they last all season.

MiJetFan

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
JD has to draft an OL at #10 for depth. Especially after signing TS. Due to his history I would sign another guy as well. As We know from experience you can NEVER have enough OL.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
A one year stop gap who has not played a full season in nearly a decade (9 years) 10 games per season avg. Maybe JD goes for a low floor high ceiling Tackle to sit a season. Both current Tackles are on one year deals so the positions still have to be addressed. Mitchell and Warren have not shown enough to be counted on as backup's.
Still on paper the line looks to be very good.
Smith , Simpson, Tippmann,AVT (once healthy) and Moses. Let's hope they last all season.
That's how I see it too basically. JD still needs to pick up at least 1 tackle in the draft to groom. 2 would be better, of course, but probably won't happen unless the 2nd comes from the undrafted free agent group. He also needs another guard to groom. These days you need all the "O" line help you can staff and we need to get younger at these positions fast. That's why these are short term contracts.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Who plays guard until AVT returns?
Later
Hanson would play the guard position if AVT couldn't. That is, of course, my opinion. He played well during his 400 or 500 snaps last season. He had only 1 penalty and allowed no sacks. I'm glad they resigned him. He may eventually become the starter when our short term contract players retire in a year or two.