MLB Thread (Non Mets & Yankees)

U

ucrenegade

wow didn't know a baseball conversation was going on i love baseball.

Golden Rott

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Wow! Curious to see which prospects were in this deal. Oh well.... there goes my dream of Tulo hitting 3rd in front of Wright or vise-versa.

Maybe we can go and get CarGo instead. Either one -- Rockies or Brewers. Still hoping there is one more move for a bat before the deadline.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
Automated strike zone to be tested in minor league game tonight. Pretty cool that they are using the idea as a fundraiser for the Pat Tillman Foundation.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/automated-strike-zone-gets-test-run/

Automated Strike Zone Gets Test Run

History will be made tonight.

There has been a lot of talk about the benefits and drawbacks of automated umpires for calling balls and strikes. Advocates and skeptics. But on Tuesday night in the independent Pacific Association in a game between the San Rafael Pacifics and Vallejo Admirals, everyone will get to see an automated strike zone in action in a professional game.

The two-game automated umpire trial is the brainchild of former big league outfielder Eric Byrnes, who will serve as the “Strike Zone Umpire” for the two games as a charity fundraiser for the Pat Tillman Foundation.

Byrnes played for the Pacifics last year for the Pat Tillman Foundation. This year when discussing ideas for a return visit, Byrnes brought up the idea of doing something a little different. Among those ideas, he suggested an automated umpire to calls balls and strikes, something Byrnes has advocated for a while.

A few phone calls later and Pacifics general manager Mike Shapiro and assistant general manager Vinnie Longo had SportsVision outfitting the stadium to make Byrnes’ vision a reality.

The technology is pretty widespread and understood at this point. Three cameras track the ball in three dimensions. Byrnes will be sitting with a monitor in front of him on press row. When the pitch crosses the plate, the pitching tracking software will show whether it’s a strike or a ball. Byrnes will then immediately call ball or strike into the public address system. There will still be a home-plate umpire to handle any other calls that need to be made at the plate (such as check swings and plays at the plate). Longo said that the Pacific Association’s umpires were consulted and are in favor of testing out the system.

Byrnes will donate $100 to the Pat Tillman foundation for every walk and every strikeout that occurs over the two games. He will donate an additional $10,000 if he ejects any player or manager for arguing balls and strikes.

The tech was tested out in a dry run on Friday, July 24. It tracked every pitch with no problems, giving the team confidence that it will work with no significant issues.

“We’re not just putting on a promotion … we’re doing something big for the game of baseball. I think this is going to work,” Longo said.

The automated umpire nights is yet another innovative moment for the four-team, California-based independent league that has somehow managed to survive in a difficult market in small parks. The league as a whole is averaging 272 fans per game, according to official attendance figures. None of the four teams in the league are drawing more than 500 fans per game.

But the league has now survived into season three. The Sonoma County Stompers have the what is believed to be the first openly gay player in pro baseball in lefthander Sean Conroy. The Stompers’ baseball operations department is run by Grantland’s Ben Lindbergh and Baseball Prospectus’ Sam Miller as they run the team by sabermetric principles to try to win a title and gather material for a book that is expected to come out next year.

And now the league will become the first to experiment with automated ball-strike calls. It may be a two-game experiment, but it might also be the start of something.

Not long ago the independent Atlantic League added some innovative initiatives to speed up the pace of play, many of which were later adopted by Major League Baseball. It would not be surprising if other independent leagues toyed with the idea of testing automated ball-strike calls. From there, the idea could grow.

EBoozer32

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
give it a year or two and this will pro be in the majors. The problem is though I think this gives a hitter a big advantage.

I think Baseball would like to see more scoring.... I think dynamic offenses put people in seats.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
I wonder if it would slow down the game. You would need to reset the strike zone based upon the height of each batter.

EBoozer32

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
I wonder if it would slow down the game. You would need to reset the strike zone based upon the height of each batter.

If the cameras can detect pitch height, I'd assume that they could also detect that height of the batter in his stance and determine the values constituting a strike in comparison to the height of the batter.

EBoozer32

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Follow

Marc CarigVerified account
‏@MarcCarig
And no, I already hear the Mets aren’t in on CarGo. I know you’re going to ask.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
Royals going all in this year. First Cueto, now Zobrist.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/626097343461462016[/TWEET]

EBoozer32

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
CarGo's Value just went up along with Upton's.

The hitters are starting to come off the market.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
CarGo's Value just went up along with Upton's.

The hitters are starting to come off the market.

I would be very cautious about CarGo. He is due $37MM over 2016 & 2017.

Since 2012, he has hit about .330 at Coors Field and about .250 on the road. That would be an awful lot of coin tied up in a guy that could be a .250 hitter for us.

EBoozer32

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Well, maybe with SD in town Upton flips dugouts. I would want a few days to work out a 4 year extension if possible. Doubt he'd do that but it's worth a shot.

Venable could be a cheaper, less exciting move.

EBoozer32

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS
Jenrry mejia gets 162 game drug ban. Failed another test.

Crap! Glad we made the trade with Oakland.

Golden Rott

Jet Fanatics
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/626182403627843584[/TWEET]

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/626182510435655680[/TWEET]

EBoozer32

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
I would be very cautious about CarGo. He is due $37MM over 2016 & 2017.

Since 2012, he has hit about .330 at Coors Field and about .250 on the road. That would be an awful lot of coin tied up in a guy that could be a .250 hitter for us.

Hey Lith/Rott... Is the JN board down for the server switch. Tried to get on to read some other POV and can't access. Did I miss some news?