Official Game Thread: Cleveland Browns at New York Jets

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
You know, you are simply trying to arrange the facts to fit your conclusion. #1, Darnold had at least two, maybe three throws downfield that Perriman should have caught. #2, he did target Mims a few times and the DBs made stellar plays to deny them. That happens. #3, Darnold checking down to take what the defense gives him is exactly what he needs to be doing, and his decision making the past two weeks has been much faster and better than before. That is a very positive sign. Plus, he has clearly been going through his possessions. If Sam can be a competent game manager for now, that would be okay, because I believe it would be a stepping-stone to him growing into much more than that.

Zach Wilson is impressive enough that he would be tempting to take, but the Jets may be able to get a King's ransom for the second overall pick from some team that wants Wilson or Fields (or Mac Jones or Kyle Trask or Trey Lance?) badly enough, and that could be a huge boost to the rebuild. Definitely a hard choice but that is why JD is getting the big bucks.
Completely disagree with your assertion there. Taking a few shots downfield doesn't exclude the fact that he was not able to connect with ANYONE downfield, and that Flacco seem to do it over and over.

I definitely agree that Sam was making quicker reads (you could see he was getting the ball out quicker, trying to stay in that 3 second range), but all of his reads with short/intermittent throws. You assume he is taking what the defense is giving him, but that is also saying that no one was ever open downfield which just isn't true.

Could Perriman have done a better job fighting for some of those balls? ABSOLUTELY! But lets not forget some of those balls if placed accurately would have been easy catches instead of 50/50 balls.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
IMO the D man does not have "it". He is missing something. He is like an empty suit. But I am tough on QB's . I don't know if Murrey has "it" for sure. I think he does but i am not sold yet. So for now Dunderhead is his name. Even when he does have time he plays like one at times. If you asked me after three years who was better I would say Sanchez (I know he had better players) IMO
I would tend to agree with this, sometimes it just seems like the lightbulb isn't coming on.

I've been patiently awaiting to see a coaching staff develop him. He showed flashes his rookie season, and it's been nothing but nightmares ever since. Gase was supposed to be the QB whisperer, but man Darnold has done nothing but regress under him. Maybe the best thing for Darnold at this point is a fresh start somewhere else with a competent coaching staff.

Greentilldeath

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
I would tend to agree with this, sometimes it just seems like the lightbulb isn't coming on.

I've been patiently awaiting to see a coaching staff develop him. He showed flashes his rookie season, and it's been nothing but nightmares ever since. Gase was supposed to be the QB whisperer, but man Darnold has done nothing but regress under him. Maybe the best thing for Darnold at this point is a fresh start somewhere else with a competent coaching staff.
I completely agree. Let’s face it..... if Cleveland would have had 2 of its 4 missing receivers, they would have kicked our ass. And I have no faith that Darnold would have even kept it competitive...let alone win it. We had ZERO completions to our wide outs ????? Sam has Crowder and screens and that’s it . Cant get the ball to Hearndon consistently, cant get it to Perriman, cant get it to Mims. Sorry, that ain’t cutting it . At this point, Mims is a wasted pick with Darnold at QB. Time to cut bait and move on....