Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Bengals won today so yes win next week we still have No. 2 pick

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Okay so the Jets won, big freaking deal! Pretty safe to assume they will win next week as well. Belibitch will gladly hand us a meaningless win and who knows at this point, a win next week might even put us at the number three spot. SMDH! So it looks like we’re stuck with Darnold now unless they do something else. Who know what the hell that is at this point.

If we’re stuck with Darnold then so be it. Under the right coaching staff, weapons, olinemen and defense he just might be ok. My question is do we have to be stuck with Gase now? I’m afraid with the ownership that we have that they will keep Gase another year. Which they probably were going to do that anyway. Even at 0-16 they would have, as dumb as they are!

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Next closest team is Atlanta with 4 wins, so statistically impossible for us to fall past 2 at this point.

Keeping Gase would be a colossal mistake! but with Chris running things, who knows what dumb ideas he might have.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
24 days until Woody comes home, then the real shit hits the fan on who is calling the shots for the team

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Bengals won today have 4 wins we are locked into the No. 2 spot win or lose next week
Oh ok great, thanks. At this point I didn’t know and it seemed anything negative is possibly when it comes to this team!

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
[QUOTE="gmf1369, post: 147902, member: who is calling the shots for the team
[/QUOTE]

This team needs a virus shot & stronger

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
I understand both sides of the argument about the skill of Sam. He does still make mistakes that normally a third year QB wouldn't make but it's also true that in that time he has missed a lot of playing time. If we think back we will remember Gase actually admitting that he has Sam on a tight leash and that he is only allowed to change the play in a very limited number of circumstances. I for one also agree that the coaching has been horrendous and the "O" line has been anything but good and anyone who says that doesn't effect a QB's performance is just blowing smoke or doesn't really know anything about football. Is Sam Darnold a franchise QB ? At this point I don't know. One thing I do subscribe to is the fact that a team doesn't necessarily need a superstar QB, ( not that that isn't the best way ), to consistently win games if they have a really good "O"line and good coaching. This is where, in my old mans thought bank, that the Jets fail to measure up most. We may or may not still have Sam under center next season because it's anyones guess with the current ownership what will happen with the coaching staff, free agency, or the draft but Sam is not the number one problem with this team. That being said and with winning or losing the next game having no impact on our draft position I'm hoping for the Jets to kick ass next week. Now I'll step off my soap box.

ReallyBigfan

How Big is Too Big?
Jet Fanatics
Great questions which if it was the same with Flacco behind center you may be able to read into a conspiracy.

The fact that these WR's looked awesome with Flacco and the same play callers, leads this right back to being a Darnold problem.

Every play has hot reads and secondary reads. The QB is only looking at the slot guys who are up against LB's or slot CB's. This isn't the WR's fault and the play callers aren't telling Darnold "who" to throw the ball to. Darnold is refusing to throw the ball outside the lines.
You know, you are simply trying to arrange the facts to fit your conclusion. #1, Darnold had at least two, maybe three throws downfield that Perriman should have caught. #2, he did target Mims a few times and the DBs made stellar plays to deny them. That happens. #3, Darnold checking down to take what the defense gives him is exactly what he needs to be doing, and his decision making the past two weeks has been much faster and better than before. That is a very positive sign. Plus, he has clearly been going through his possessions. If Sam can be a competent game manager for now, that would be okay, because I believe it would be a stepping-stone to him growing into much more than that.

Zach Wilson is impressive enough that he would be tempting to take, but the Jets may be able to get a King's ransom for the second overall pick from some team that wants Wilson or Fields (or Mac Jones or Kyle Trask or Trey Lance?) badly enough, and that could be a huge boost to the rebuild. Definitely a hard choice but that is why JD is getting the big bucks.

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
... and due to SOS, no matter what, right?
we have 2 locked up.
I understand both sides of the argument about the skill of Sam. He does still make mistakes that normally a third year QB wouldn't make but it's also true that in that time he has missed a lot of playing time. If we think back we will remember Gase actually admitting that he has Sam on a tight leash and that he is only allowed to change the play in a very limited number of circumstances. I for one also agree that the coaching has been horrendous and the "O" line has been anything but good and anyone who says that doesn't effect a QB's performance is just blowing smoke or doesn't really know anything about football. Is Sam Darnold a franchise QB ? At this point I don't know. One thing I do subscribe to is the fact that a team doesn't necessarily need a superstar QB, ( not that that isn't the best way ), to consistently win games if they have a really good "O"line and good coaching. This is where, in my old mans thought bank, that the Jets fail to measure up most. We may or may not still have Sam under center next season because it's anyones guess with the current ownership what will happen with the coaching staff, free agency, or the draft but Sam is not the number one problem with this team. That being said and with winning or losing the next game having no impact on our draft position I'm hoping for the Jets to kick ass next week. Now I'll step off my soap box.

I too remember Gase and the short leash. If I'm being honest, it made me wonder if Gase sees Darnold in practice doing stupid stuff and that is the reason he doesnt unleash him in the games?... or is it because Gase knows the talent isn't there and it would be easy for Darnold to screw up if unleashed, because there is no talent around him?... or does Gase just think Darnold is a dunderhead like Butterscotch said?... or is Gase a fool?... maybe Darnold really isn't the swiftest?...

many, many questions here and I hope somebody has the answers and I hope that somebody is JD, and I hope Darnold isnt a dunderhead because he will most likely be back next year. it would be much better if Darnold doesnt suck, so we can use all these draft picks to fix the rest of the team

one thing that is good is that the team hasn't quit. now have they not quit because they are playing for their coach, or have they not quit because they are tired of being embarrised? I ask that. because with this screwy team, I will not be surprised if Gase is back next year. its easy to argue that not many coaches could have done much better with this talent pool. this is a darn mess

Last edited:

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
we have 2 locked up. benga

I too remember Gase and the short leash. If I'm being honest, it made me wonder if Gase sees Darnold in practice doing stupid stuff and that is the reason he doesnt unleash him in the games?... or is it because Gase knows the talent isn't there and it would be easy for Darnold to screw up if unleashed, because there is no talent around him?... or does Gase just think Darnold is a dunderhead like Butterscotch said?... or is Gase a fool?... maybe Darnold really isn't the swiftest?...

many, many questions here and I hope somebody has the answers and I hope that somebody is JD, and I hope Darnold isnt a dunderhead because he will most likely be back next year. it would be much better if Darnold doesnt suck, so we can use all these draft picks to fix the rest of the team

one thing that is good is that the team hasn't quit. now have they not quit because they are playing for their coach, or have they not quit because they are tired of being embarrised? I ask that. because with this screwy team, I will not be surprised if Gase is back next year. its easy to argue that not many coaches could have done much better with this talent pool. this is a darn mess
IMO the D man does not have "it". He is missing something. He is like an empty suit. But I am tough on QB's . I don't know if Murrey has "it" for sure. I think he does but i am not sold yet. So for now Dunderhead is his name. Even when he does have time he plays like one at times. If you asked me after three years who was better I would say Sanchez (I know he had better players) IMO

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
IMO the D man does not have "it". He is missing something. He is like an empty suit. But I am tough on QB's . I don't know if Murrey has "it" for sure. I think he does but i am not sold yet. So for now Dunderhead is his name. Even when he does have time he plays like one at times. If you asked me after three years who was better I would say Sanchez (I know he had better players) IMO
I think I agree with you and I hope we are wrong. I was very excited for Trevor and now I am at a loss. good ole Jets