And we start the 2023 draft talk at the thanksgiving table
I’ve been a fan for 50
Beat down
I’ll believe it when I see it
Not before
Sorry I have no more enthusiasm
Till we play like it on the field
Tired of being fed bullshit
Can relate but I’m an eternal optimist. I believe in utopia. I just don’t believe in people.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
I was watching a team severely undermanned/undertalented hang in there on week 18 when all the excuses to fold came early and often in 1st qtr. It's a testament to the coaching staff that this team fought hard until overpowered/out of gas in 4th. There was no lay down. THAT you can take into next year. Nick Bawden epitomized the heart of the team that day with that midfield body slam (awesome btw). These guys are going to be a handful for the NFL in coming seasons.

Yup...that is what i saw. I also saw a team that got a massacre handed to them earlier by BUFF, show a lot of recall and intelligence. In addition to the fight they brought to the game, you can tell this team is well coached in the meeting rooms. so much so, that even the "warm bodies with a pulse" were displaying discipline and intelligence and sticking to their jobs.

that is definitely something to take to the OTA's. we are going to see a new brand of smart football to go along with some of the heart we saw in Rex's teams and even Herm's teams.

IMO, that's the real excitement...this coaching staff is dogged to the system with a GM who doesn't sit still in trying to get better players for the system.

Seaver41

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Yup...that is what i saw. I also saw a team that got a massacre handed to them earlier by BUFF, show a lot of recall and intelligence. In addition to the fight they brought to the game, you can tell this team is well coached in the meeting rooms. so much so, that even the "warm bodies with a pulse" were displaying discipline and intelligence and sticking to their jobs.

that is definitely something to take to the OTA's. we are going to see a new brand of smart football to go along with some of the heart we saw in Rex's teams and even Herm's teams.

IMO, that's the real excitement...this coaching staff is dogged to the system with a GM who doesn't sit still in trying to get better players for the system.
good point on Rex/Herm........teams full of heart and desire but too often short on being disciplined in their assignments. There were always those head scratching lapses on a Rex Ryan defense and absolutely no imagination from OC Hackett on Herm's staff. This regime has said they have a particular type of player they seek from the neck up.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I actually liked Paul Hackett . His offense was simple and easy to understand .

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
good point on Rex/Herm........teams full of heart and desire but too often short on being disciplined in their assignments. There were always those head scratching lapses on a Rex Ryan defense and absolutely no imagination from OC Hackett on Herm's staff. This regime has said they have a particular type of player they seek from the neck up.

while at the same time, not robots with no talent like many players Mangini brought in.
Saleh is a different type of "player's coach"...they have to have smarts and discipline, but they will have a $h!t ton of fun.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
I actually liked Paul Hackett . His offense was simple and easy to understand .

that makes sense to me. since then, we have had trash that made the lives of our QB's a nightmare. At least, they had a semblance of an identity.

Hackett ran an executable offense, and with a stable of competent players, the offense looked good much of the time, and great sometimes.

Unfortunately, in a simplistic offense, D's catch up/on quickly. If your big play guy is 5'8', like Moss and Coles, it's going to be tough sledding once they do. as much as you loved them, you had to play with a lead for them to be effective.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Vince Lombardi’s offense was simple also . You still had to stop it . The trouble with the NFL today is all these kids play sports and hardly ever go to class . In college the athletic ability allows you to excel but in the pros with all this sophistication and verbiage half these kids can’t figure out X,Y OR Z .
People think Belichek is a genius but all he does is give his players an assignment and make them learn it forward and backwards. Then he gives them that now famous line . “Do your job “ .
Simple, not complicated at all . We have Mims who can get open at will because of his athleticism but instead of using that, we confuse the heck out of him by telling him to learn 5 different things . I bet that kid has never done this much studying in his life .
Sometimes people are so smart they’re stupid.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
that makes sense to me. since then, we have had trash that made the lives of our QB's a nightmare. At least, they had a semblance of an identity.

Hackett ran an executable offense, and with a stable of competent players, the offense looked good much of the time, and great sometimes.

Unfortunately, in a simplistic offense, D's catch up/on quickly. If your big play guy is 5'8', like Moss and Coles, it's going to be tough sledding once they do. as much as you loved them, you had to play with a lead for them to be effective.
Yes and no . Three things went wrong with the Herman Edwards led Jets .
Chad Pennington couldn’t stay healthy to save his life and we never got a viable backup.
We allowed Coles to leave in a contract squabble messing up Pennington’s mojo .
Whoever the GM was at the time was a joke and never got Coach any players to fit his schemes but kept letting key players leave . When Jason Ferguson left our defense went with him .

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
Vince Lombardi’s offense was simple also . You still had to stop it . The trouble with the NFL today is all these kids play sports and hardly ever go to class . In college the athletic ability allows you to excel but in the pros with all this sophistication and verbiage half these kids can’t figure out X,Y OR Z .
People think Belichek is a genius but all he does is give his players an assignment and make them learn it forward and backwards. Then he gives them that now famous line . “Do your job “ .
Simple, not complicated at all . We have Mims who can get open at will because of his athleticism but instead of using that, we confuse the heck out of him by telling him to learn 5 different things . I bet that kid has never done this much studying in his life .

great post! especially the blurb on Mims.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
Boy ain't this the truth

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I will say though that if Mims is a few fries short of a happy meal - that doesn't fit the profile of this regime
There’s more than one way to skin a cat so I am willing to go along with the idea of slow walking Mims until he gets it . Trouble is in this market not too many exist like me . Too many play Madden and want all pros at every position. I just want kids who can do specific things well .