Official Game Thread: New York Jets at Los Angeles Rams

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
new_york_jets_los_angeles_rams.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams (9-4) host the New York Jets (0-13) on Sunday to conclude the AFC East portion of their schedule. L.A. can clinch a spot in the playoffs with a win. Kickoff from SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif. is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. pacific time on FOX.

In advance of the contest, here is your first look at Rams-Jets on Dec. 20, including notable Jets additions, some of New York's top statistical performers in Week 14 and key storylines.

Notable Jets additions

Selected former Baylor wide receiver Denzel Mims with the 59th overall pick in this year's draft. A pair of hamstring injuries delayed his Jets and NFL debut until Week 7, but he's been productive since then, averaging 3.2 catches for 54 yards in six games. His speed (unofficial 4.38-second 40-yard dash at this year's combine) provides a deep threat for the Jets offense; he's averaging 17.1 yards per catch.
Claimed kicker Chase McLaughlin off waivers on Monday. In wake of former starter Sergio Castillo's release on Tuesday, McLaughlin will likely replace him and kick on Sunday. McLaughlin most recently played for the Jaguars, making 4 of 5 field goal attempts and 3 of 4 extra point attempts in three games this season. He was on the Vikings' practice squad prior to signing with Jacksonville.
Top performers in Week 14

QB Sam Darnold completed 14 of 26 pass attempts for 132 yards in the Jets' 40-3 loss to the Seahawks.

RB Frank Gore (23 yards) and RB Ty Johnson (16) shared the backfield lead with eight carries each, but it was RB Josh Adams (team-high 27 yards on six carries) who was the most efficient of the group against Seattle's defense.

WRs Braxton Berrios and Breshad Perriman tied for the team lead in receptions with three each, but Berrios led all Jets receivers with 49 yards.

Defensively, LBs Neville Hewitt and Harvey Langi finished with a team-high nine tackles each, while S Marcus Maye added an interception.

On special teams, Castillo – who had been filling in for starter Sam Ficken, who is currently on injured reserve with a groin injury – made only 1 of 4 field goal attempts.

Early storylines to watch, and what they mean for the Rams

This week is straightforward for the Rams: Win, and secure a playoff berth.

However, achieving that goal won't be as easy as it seems. Just ask Rams wide receiver Robert Woods.

Six years ago, Woods was on a Bills team carrying an 8-6 record and playoff aspirations into a Week 16 game against the 2-12 Raiders. Buffalo needed to win its final two regular season games and some help from other teams in order for those postseason hopes to materialize, but a 26-24 loss Oakland knocked it out of playoff contention.

In other words, the lesson from Woods' experience is that although the Jets are winless, they should not be taken lightly. Look no further than six of their 13 games this season being decided by 10 or fewer points.

arxkst1scsm7zaoqmpbh.jpg

Ahead of the Seattle game, Crowder (who has missed four games this season with injuries) was listed as questionable with a calf injury sustained in training last week. He made the trip, got to Lumen Field early and then pronounced himself fit to play. "I was good to go once the kickoff came around," he said. Crowder's rally was welcome news for QB Sam Darnold and the Jets, especially since rookie second-round draft pick Denzel Mims was unavailable.

"We just came out flat," he said about the 40-3 loss. "We had some opportunities. We go down there on the first drive and get a field goal. We drove down the field well enough to get in scoring range. We have to put the ball in the end zone. We missed three field goals. Things like that definitely hurt, to get down there and come away with nothing. If we get a field goal that's OK, but we want a TD. But when we don't get anything, it's kind of deflating.

"You can't go three or four possessions without scoring and think you can stay in the game."

In his nearly two seasons with the Jets and Darnold, Crowder has emerged as the third-year quarterback's go-to receiver, operating mostly from the slot. And throughout the season, it has seemed that the Jets' offense has been hampered by missing cogs from game to game. Darnold has missed time. Crowder has missed time. Breshad Perriman has missed time. Mims has missed time.

"It's kind of simple for me ... I always try to be a valuable weapon for Sam," Crowder said. "If I'm making plays his confidence is going to go up."

The Jets will be returning to the new SoFi Stadium (where they lost to the Chargers earlier this season) to face the Rams (9-4) and their top-ranked defense. It won't be easy, as the Patriots found out in last week's 24-3 shellacking by the Rams.

"It's definitely a state-of-the-art facility," Crowder said. "It's dope. I look forward to going back out there. It's another West Coast trip. It's football, a business. We have to go out there, make plays and get a dub [as in a W]."

Bigmoe

Happily Confused
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Jets + 16 1/2
Not nearly enough
Last game I said it should have been +32
And as Warner Wolf used to say
"You still lost"

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
don't worry it will be competitive

an actual Brilliant Offensive Mind versus
Frank Bush calling soft coverage
and then
2 yard runs by Frank Gore while Ty Johnson & Josh Adams will combine for 8 carries

Bigmoe

Happily Confused
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
i think this team is the absolute worse NFL team I have ever watched
Worse than The expansion 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs
Worse than Kotite Jets
Worse than any Browns or lions team I’ve seen
Worse than the 70’s Jets
If I left any out, just know this team is
Worse
No roster
No stars
No future
Fucking garbage

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Dear Santa:
Jets nation would like 180 minutes more of losing football please.
Santa.jpg

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
i think this team is the absolute worse NFL team I have ever watched
Worse than The expansion 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs
Worse than Kotite Jets
Worse than any Browns or lions team I’ve seen
Worse than the 70’s Jets
If I left any out, just know this team is
Worse
No roster
No stars
No future
Fucking garbage
Don't hold back. Tell us how you REALLY feel.
Later

Greentilldeath

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
We will get our prerequisite 3 points in the opening drive ...... the minute the Rams score a TD its game over because we wont score again

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I suppose the good news is that it starts at 4:05p not 4:15 like nationally televised games do, allowing you to watch the ends of games that count on Red Zone

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
No roster
No stars
No future
Fucking garbage
well there is a roster
granted they are mostly effort players and IR designated players
stars are overrated
on the roster rather have players that have a chip on their shoulders rather than one hype themselves up for failure
future is today, is tomorrow and is the Monday after the final game
as long as we are not going backwards the future has to be brighter than this bullshit they trotted out this year
Definite have garbage to throw out
starting with the trash coaching staff that was basically picked by the CEO then hoped they would play nice

in the end the team is garbage, that smells funny while there clearly no stars there are players to build a real team around as long as an brand new coaching staff is built like Joe Douglas is trying to do with our OL with Becton...
but like everything else, if JD does nothing and keeps Gase then come next off season either the Johnson hoebags will either sell the team or realize that their grandpapi's money is just that something to throw away like all the settlements they have been settling for the family's legacy corporation

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
One day in the future you will be able to hold your grandchildren on your knee and tell them that YOU saw the worst Jets team of all time. And they will mutter 'That's what you think, you old fool'.
Wait there is always next year if Gase is back