QB Carousel Could Land Fitzpatrick With Jets

F

flgreen

Quarterback carousel could land Ryan Fitzpatrick with Jets

By Brian CostelloMarch 9, 2015 | 11:02am

Monday morning the Texans are re-signing Ryan Mallett and are also going to sign Brian Hoyer when the league opens Tuesday afternoon.

Where does that leave the Jets, who want to find a veteran quarterback to compete with Geno Smith?

A source said reports of Hoyer picking Houston are premature and his agent is still talking to the Jets. If Hoyer does wind up going to Houston, the Texans are expected to release Ryan Fitpatrick, who would interest the Jets.

Fitzpatrick, 32, spent last season with the Texans and started 12 games. He completed 63 percent of his passes for 2,483 yards with 17 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

The Jets have familiarity with Fitzpatrick because new general manager Mike Maccagnan was with him in Houston last year and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey coached him with the Bills from 2010-12 when Gailey was the head coach. Fitzpatrick had his best season under Gailey.

The other top free agents available are Jake Locker, Matt Moore and Christian Ponder.
On the cornerback front, the NFL is waiting to see what the Patriots do with Darrelle Revis. They have until Tuesday to decide whether to pick up his option, which would trigger $20 million in salary and a $25 million salary cap hit.

If they decline the option and do not reach a new deal, he will become a free agent at 4 p.m. Tuesday. The Jets will make a major push to sign him.

The Jets also are interested in free agent Chris Culliver, according to a league source. Culliver spent the past four seasons with the 49ers. He has seven career interceptions.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
I like this
Luv ya, uc, but I'm totally not on board with this, too me its a journeyman with below average arm strength and not the answer to anything, unless the question is, who will be our backup in 2015, but IMO if Fitz is your starter, say hello to a TOP 5 Pick in 2016, no worse than TOP 10.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Luv ya, uc, but I'm totally not on board with this, too me its a journeyman with below average arm strength and not the answer to anything, unless the question is, who will be our backup in 2015, but IMO if Fitz is your starter, say hello to a TOP 5 Pick in 2016, no worse than TOP 10.

agreed

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I think Fitz could serve two purposes here. For one, I do not believe he would be as bad a starter as it is made out to be. But more importantly, he can hold down the fort and help teach a Geno or a Mariota how to make NFL reads in Gailey's system.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
he's a hold the fort guy. i don't think he makes us a bottom 5 team, but probably won't make us playoff contenders. then again, i don't think anyone QB sitting in FA makes us playoff contenders in 2015.

if they add fitz and keep geno, i still expect them to add another QB. it could be a draft pick (mariota early, or someone else later), or it still could be someone like foles in the long-rumored eagles trade. then again, getting fitz gives us some leverage with the eagles, since we wouldn't "need" foles as much. not saying i wouldn't want foles, but we can increase our leverage with philly by having another non-geno QB on the roster.

fitz had decent success with gailey and should be available at a price that won't preclude us from drafting a QB or trading for foles as part of a larger deal. the jets NEEDED to bring in some veteran QB. fitz is a hold the fort guy, which given our current QB situation, isn't bad.

maxmet

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Fitz would be fine at this stage in offseason and in team development

- wont cost lots
- smart guy
- will run offense and/or help younger QBs learn - not awful
- increases our options - could add a drafted QB along with Fitz - Mariotta or a later pick - could add Foles - he blocks no options - gives us more freedom in the draft and in the rest of FA

F

flgreen

lbert Breer @AlbertBreer
· 1h 1 hour ago
Jets showed interest in Brian Hoyer, but I'm told they're higher on Ryan Fitzpatrick. Reasons: fit with Geno, cheaper, history with Gailey.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
lbert Breer @AlbertBreer
· 1h 1 hour ago
Jets showed interest in Brian Hoyer, but I'm told they're higher on Ryan Fitzpatrick. Reasons: fit with Geno, cheaper, history with Gailey.

If we sign Fitz, im better on geno starting week 1.

Bigmoe

Happily Confused
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
If we sign Fitz, im better on geno starting week 1.

Ughhhhh,
Geno week one starter =
Failure to Mac and Bowles
Failure for another year
Tickets worth garbage
New bulletin boards
Planes flying over head
I'm tired of 43 years saying maybe next year
Boo birds to start a " new " regime
My Dad who tuned 83 this year, turned me on to Jets in 71 , will really be pissed. This should probably # 1 on my list.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Ughhhhh,
Geno week one starter =
Failure to Mac and Bowles
Failure for another year
Tickets worth garbage
New bulletin boards
Planes flying over head
I'm tired of 43 years saying maybe next year
Boo birds to start a " new " regime
My Dad who tuned 83 this year, turned me on to Jets in 71 , will really be pissed. This should probably # 1 on my list.

:) That's a good one.

Jet Fan RI

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics

OK. But who else is available who's better?

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
OK. But who else is available who's better?
Jake Locker.

Durability issues, but he's still only 26 and a better talent with a much higher ceiling if he stays healthy.

A few years ago he was drafted #8 overall, which granted was a reach, but this kid has talent and I still have flashbacks of him tearing Rex Ryan's defense a new ass.

njimport

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
Regarding Fitz do you think Houston would want a draft pick in return? Or will they cut him once Hoyer signs with them?

These reports of Hoyer going to Houston didn’t make sense to me this morning because Ryan Mallet resigned with Houston and now Hoyer might sign why would he go there knowing Mallet signed and both were backups to Tom at NE for a year and Hoyer got cut in 2012 in favor of Mallet. This doesn’t make sense to me for Hoyer to sign with them. All indications seems that he will sign and is probably using us as leverage.

nycdan

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
Regarding Fitz do you think Houston would want a draft pick in return? Or will they cut him once Hoyer signs with them?

These reports of Hoyer going to Houston didn’t make sense to me this morning because Ryan Mallet resigned with Houston and now Hoyer might sign why would he go there knowing Mallet signed and both were backups to Tom at NE for a year and Hoyer got cut in 2012 in favor of Mallet. This doesn’t make sense to me for Hoyer to sign with them. All indications seems that he will sign and is probably using us as leverage.

Help me out here. Unless I missed a few tweets, they still have Keenum, Fitzpatrick, Lewis and Savage on the roster, just added Mallet and may be signing Hoyer.

They do know quarterback and cornerback are not the same thing, right?

njimport

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
Help me out here. Unless I missed a few tweets, they still have Keenum, Fitzpatrick, Lewis and Savage on the roster, just added Mallet and may be signing Hoyer.

They do know quarterback and cornerback are not the same thing, right?

I agree but both QB's were signed when the QB's got injured. Both will be cut and Savage might be PS eligible