Around The NFL

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
I'd rate Foles and Bradford ahead of him in my wish list...by a lot...but just me. Point - whats your opinion on Foles? Im sure ive read it but forgot it.
First on Bradford, I said Locker is not on that level, sorry if I wasn't clear about that, but I agree, Bradford is a legit franchise QB if he stays healthy. He has all of the tools to be franchise QB. Locker is a notch below that in my view, but better than Mallet, Hoyer and Fitz. Again, if we remove durability from the equation and are just talking about talent.

As for Foles, I don't see him as much better than Locker. Obviously he's way more durable, so all things being equal I'll take Foles over Locker any day of the week, but all things are not equal because Locker is a FA and he would cost us nothing but money, while Foles takes us out of the elite prospect range and IMO he's not good enough to justify trading out of the 6 spot and all the way down to 20, unless we are making a killing.

For a more detailed explanation, here's what I posted in another thread:

I'm dead against trading down with the Eagles and here's why ...

IMO there are 13 elite prospects in this draft if you count the two QB's, Winston and Mariota, and I'll list the 13, by position and in no particular order, so there can be no ambiguity:

QB Marcus Mariota
QB Jameis Winston
WR Kevin White
WR Amari Cooper
WR DeVante Parker
DL Leonard Williams
DT Danny Shelton
DE/OLB Dante Fowler
DE/OLB Shane Ray
DE/OLB Vic Beasley
DE/OLB Randy Gregory
DE/OLB Alvin Dupree
CB Trae Waynes

Thats it, after those guys there's a significant drop-off in my view, therefore if you trade down to 20 you are effectively taking yourself out of the running for one of the elite prospects in this draft, and that only makes sense for me if I believe Nick Foles is a franchise QB or is headed in that direction, and I don't, and neither does Chip Kelly or he wouldn't be looking for another QB, no matter how much he loves Mariota, because you don't trade a young franchise QB for someone you hope or even believe can reach that level.

Also I've done the draft trade value chart math and I know we wouldn't be getting anything even close to what some Jet fans are fantasizing about in draft picks, which is essentially a Hershel WaIker or Ricky Williams deal.

NOT HAPPENING

According to the chart, if you put a second round value on Foles as the Eagles will undoubtedly do, all we would be getting in return after Foles and #20 is their 2nd RD Pick in this draft, and thats it, and even if they throw in their 3 this year or 2 next year, its not enough for me to trade out of the 6 spot and all the way down to 20.

So for me this trade would be a colossal mistake, but if you tell me we're trading down with the Rams to #10 or even Cleveland at #12 , both distinct possibilities, then I'm all ears and listening to offers because that would keep us in the elite prospect range, but I'm not trading down to 20 unless Chip Kelly is prepared to throw the value chart in the garbage and make a mind-numbingly stupid trade from the Eagles perspective.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
I'd rate Foles and Bradford ahead of him in my wish list...by a lot...but just me. Point - whats your opinion on Foles? Im sure ive read it but forgot it.

I like Foles. I would probably put him slightly ahead of Locker and on par with Bradford on my list. The question I struggle with is: if Mariota is available at 6, and Chip Kelly comes calling offering up Foles and picks, who do I like better? Foles + picks, or Mariota? Obviously it depends on the package but I think Mariota becomes the better QB of the two. And that should hold a lot of weight in today's NFL.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
Fitz is a horrible fit for the Jets. In the Meadowlands and the AFC East you can't sustain any kind of real success with a QB who has below average arm strength. Chad was a million times better than Fritz and that was even an issue for him. IMO you need a guy who at least has an average NFL arm and can spin it thru the swirling winds as we get later into the season, and Fritz is not that guy. I get the Gailey connection, but IMO he doesn't have the tools to be a good fit with the Jets, and too me thats more important than his connection to Gailey.

If its me I take Locker over Fitz in a NY minute, and its not even close.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
Fitz is a horrible fit for the Jets. In the Meadowlands and the AFC East you can't sustain any kind of real success with a QB who has below average arm strength. Chad was a million times better than Fritz and that was even an issue for him. IMO you need a guy who at least has an average NFL arm and can spin it thru the swirling winds as we get later into the season, and Fritz is not that guy. I get the Gailey connection, but IMO he doesn't have the tools to be a good fit with the Jets, and too me thats more important than his connection to Gailey.

If its me I take Locker over Fitz in a NY minute, and its not even close.

He had his best performance in Buffalo, hardly the best playing conditions.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
I like Foles. I would probably put him slightly ahead of Locker and on par with Bradford on my list.
I agree, only I have Bradford ahead of Foles.

1. Bradford
2. Foles
3. Locker

And as you said, its Bradford slightly better than Foles, and Foles slightly better than Locker. The bigger gap is between Bradford and Locker as I see it, but if you just go in progression, 1 thru 3, the gaps are not as big. Again, just based on talent, not durability.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
He had his best performance in Buffalo, hardly the best playing conditions.
I understand that, but talk to any Bills fan and they will tell you arm strength was a real issue and the main reason he didn't stick after signing a big extension, a lot like Chad with us. The AFC East is probably the worst division in football for guys with below average arm strength, and the Meadowlands in November and December might be the worst of them all with the swirling winds.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
Source: The NFL sent a letter to all 32 teams stating their displeasure w/ the release of contract terms prior to the start of free agency.
Retweeted by Dan Leberfeld

Perhaps MikeM is playing it close to the vest, so as not to run afoul of league. So maybe the jets have more in place than what is being publicized.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I agree, only I have Bradford ahead of Foles.

1. Bradford
2. Foles
3. Locker

And as you said, its Bradford slightly better than Foles, and Foles slightly better than Locker. The bigger gap is between Bradford and Locker as I see it, but if you just go in progression, 1 thru 3, the gaps are not as big. Again, just based on talent, not durability.

agreed. My order would actually be (notice Fitz doesnt make my list):

1) Bradford
2) Foles
3) Mariota
4) Hoyer - I think he fits Gaily's system well...dont shoot me. :)
5) Locker

I think Point would flip flop Mariota and Foles. How would you factor in Mariota in this list? He is a possibility, even if we have to trade to #2 to get him (and if Pointdexter is right he has a higher upside than Foles, and Gaily likes him, we should go get him ourselves). Where would Mariota fit into this puzzle?

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Jags red hot today: Julius Thomas TE, Odrick DT/DE, and now Parnell OT.

Jermey Parnell - T - Cowboys
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent RT Jermey Parnell "has told friends" he plans to sign with the Jaguars.
The Jaguars will be banking on Parnell making the jump to full-time starter after he split time with Doug Free in Dallas last season. He's made just seven career starts since entering the league in 2009, but will more than likely be getting paid like a starter. The Jaguars would be wise to have a backup plan in place.
Related: Jaguars

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
agreed. My order would actually be (notice Fitz doesnt make my list):

1) Bradford
2) Foles
3) Mariota
4) Hoyer - I think he fits Gaily's system well...dont shoot me. :)
5) Locker

I think Point would flip flop Mariota and Foles. How would you factor in Mariota in this list? He is a possibility, even if we have to trade to #2 to get him (and if Pointdexter is right he has a higher upside than Foles, and Gaily likes him, we should go get him ourselves). Where would Mariota fit into this puzzle?
I have Mariota ahead of Foles and behind Bradford, but if you factor in durability, I'm taking Mariota ahead of Bradford every day of the week. So yeah, I'm good with drafting Mariota. Initially I wasn't because I have Kevin White and Amari Cooper both rated as potential elite #1 WR's and I would have taken either one of them ahead of Mariota, but now that we traded for Marshall one of the WR's would be overkill, because they are both outside receivers like Marshall and Decker, so now Mariota is probably my #1 choice, then the edge rushers.

This puts me in the minority, but I actually like Mariota more than Winston.

E

eaglenj

I like Foles. I would probably put him slightly ahead of Locker and on par with Bradford on my list. The question I struggle with is: if Mariota is available at 6, and Chip Kelly comes calling offering up Foles and picks, who do I like better? Foles + picks, or Mariota? Obviously it depends on the package but I think Mariota becomes the better QB of the two. And that should hold a lot of weight in today's NFL.

Foles is now "slightly" better then Jake Locker - JAKE LOCKER?

Locker, in 4 years has a completion % below 605 (57.5%) with 27 tds and 22 picks. He also has only played more then 7 games once in 4 years.

Foles is bigger, with a stronger arm, more accurate (61.6 career comp %) and has 46 tds with 17 picks in his career.

Foles has some issues, mainly with mechanics that have hurt his accuracy, and while some of his success can be attributed to Chip Kelly, in his best season, his top WRs were Riley Cooper and Jason Avant - not exactly top tier WRs.

To compare him to locker is not even close to accurate.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Locker, in 4 years has a completion % below 605 (57.5%) with 27 tds and 22 picks. He also has only played more then 7 games once in 4 years.

Foles is bigger, with a stronger arm, more accurate (61.6 career comp %) and has 46 tds with 17 picks in his career.

Foles has some issues, mainly with mechanics that have hurt his accuracy, and while some of his success can be attributed to Chip Kelly, in his best season, his top WRs were Riley Cooper and Jason Avant - not exactly top tier WRs.

I think Foles is better than Locker too, but with Riley Cooper and jason Avant...he also had DeSean jackson and Shady McCoy...both top 5-6 at their position.

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jets have interest in free agent safety Tyvon Branch, per league source. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/nyj?src=hash">#nyj</a></p>— Brian Costello (@BrianCoz) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrianCoz/status/574949424167845888">March 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jets have interest in free agent safety Tyvon Branch, per league source. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/nyj?src=hash">#nyj</a></p>— Brian Costello (@BrianCoz) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrianCoz/status/574949424167845888">March 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]

Another guy with injury issues

E

eaglenj

I think Foles is better than Locker too, but with Riley Cooper and jason Avant...he also had DeSean jackson and Shady McCoy...both top 5-6 at their position.

My bad - i totally forgot about desean who had a good year in 2013 with foles.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics

Isn't he another SS type? I gotta believe that Bowles knows what he needs to run his defense, but I'm kinda curious as to the interest in guys who may overlap with Pryor.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics

Geesh. One played in a QB-friendly system that made Mark Sanchez look pro bowl quality and the other was in QB purgatory in Tennessee. That has to factor in. My guess is Locker would have been every bit as successful as Foles in Philly, counting on him staying healthy.