Around The NFL

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora · 4h4 hours ago

Filed a column today looking back at 2013 free agency - teams that spent the most have little to show for it. That's how it goes in NFL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...splurging-on-free-agents-is-a-losing-strategy

Now, per the rules of the CBA, we have to spend this year. However, we need to make smart choices. If it were me, I'd extend Wilkerson and Snacks first, then target a couple of cb's. I'm really leery of Iupati. The 49er's have been locking up their quality young talent for years long before they hit free agency yet they are willing to let him go. He's going to be 28 this year and is already showing signs of erosion in pass protection. He goes to the Pro Bowl still on reputation. We saw how fast Faneca fell off when we brought him here(the Steelers are another organization who know when to cut bait). Hopefully, if we are interested, it's not too long of a contract.

Bigmoe

Happily Confused
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Welcome

Happy to see a "Gal" join the board. Elias has had a good week

Is " she " the first to join?
Welcome
Elias, should she get a prize?
:anyone:

Now we have to watch what we say
:smiley-angry019:

G

GratefulJet

I'm interested in seeing how the entire group of holdover DBs, as well as other D position groups, will be evaluated and utilized by the new coaching staff. With a new set of eyes sometimes a player gets used in a way that suits his particular skillset, and becomes a valuable piece. That is what excites me the most about our coaching change with Bowles and Co. I feel that too many times Rex squeezed a player to fit his defense vs to fit his skills, thus underutilizing that player. Coples and Pryor come to mind.

Right there with ya on that.

U

ucrenegade

Is " she " the first to join?
Welcome
Elias, should she get a prize?
:anyone:

Now we have to watch what we say
:smiley-angry019:

no actually we have two others I believe the first girl would have been Christa who has been a mbr since the start I believe.

U

ucrenegade

All off-season NFL transactions

All off-season NFL transactions

please post here I'll start

@NFLSTROUD

Bucs have released Josh McCown

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
I'm interested in seeing how the entire group of holdover DBs, as well as other D position groups, will be evaluated and utilized by the new coaching staff. With a new set of eyes sometimes a player gets used in a way that suits his particular skillset, and becomes a valuable piece. That is what excites me the most about our coaching change with Bowles and Co. I feel that too many times Rex squeezed a player to fit his defense vs to fit his skills, thus underutilizing that player. Coples and Pryor come to mind.

Rex was always putting square pegs in round holes. I hope he continues to do that in Buffalo.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Justin Houston likely will be tagged, definitely will sign it

Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2015, 6:17 PM EST
Kansas City Chiefs v Tennessee Titans
Getty Images
Wednesday’s Pro Football Talk on NBCSN includes a discussion of the AFC West teams. As to the Chiefs, the question arose regarding the status of linebacker Justin Houston.

His rookie contract has expired, and no meaningful talks have occurred on a long-term deal. The only discussions have entailed numbers far lower than Houston believes he deserves — and that was before he notched 22.0 sacks in 2014.

So what will happen? Look for the Chiefs to apply the franchise tag to Houston during the two-week window that opens on Monday. Then look for Houston to immediately sign the franchise tender, opting to play the year-to-year game that would force the Chiefs to give him a 20-percent raise in 2016 or let him walk — and then a 44-percent raise in 2017 or let him walk.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Bucs release Josh McCown

Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2015, 5:46 PM EST
Atlanta Falcons v Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Getty Images
Mike Glennon may or may not be the quarterback of the future for the Buccaneers, but Josh McCown is definitely the team’s quarterback of the past.

PFT has confirmed multiple reports that the Bucs have released McCown. (The Bucs also have announced the move.)

Last year, McCown signed a two-year, $10 million deal, after putting together some very good performances as the backup to Jay Cutler in Chicago.

McCown, who started 11 games in 2014, immediately becomes a free agent, and he can sign with any other team immediately. It beefs up an otherwise weak class of 2015 free agents, and it could spark a land rush among quarterback-needy teams like the Jets, Browns, and Bills.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Brandon Marshall understands Bears may decide to move on without him

Posted by Josh Alper on February 11, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Dallas Cowboys v Chicago Bears
Getty Images
Wide receiver Brandon Marshall feels like he and the Bears are on the same page when it comes to wanting to win in 2015 and he “definitely” loves playing for the team, but that’s not enough for him to feel assured of a spot on Chicago’s roster in 2015.

Marshall is coming off an injury-plagued year that saw him catch 61 passes for 721 yards for his lowest production since his rookie season in Denver and stands to make $7.5 million next season under his current contract. That combination along with the regime change in Chicago has led to speculation that the Bears might decide to move in a different direction and Marshall didn’t receive any guarantees in either direction during a conversation with coach John Fox and General Manager Ryan Pace.

I don’t think anybody would be [comfortable] sitting in the gray, but this is the National Football League,” Marshall said, via the Chicago Tribune. “This is our business. It’s not a unique situation. It happens every single year. Like I said in the middle of the season, some players think that when you lose, oh, the coach is going to be gone. No, they move players, too. I get that and understand that.”

Marshall said he’s excited about the prospect of working with offensive coordinator Adam Gase, who was his position coach in Denver before Marshall was traded to the Bears, and chances are that a healthy Marshall will be a more productive one. As of now, though, that’s not enough for Marshall or the Bears to make any promises about his return to the team.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
John Schneider: We’ll do whatever we can to keep Byron Maxwell

Posted by Josh Alper on February 11, 2015, 3:29 PM EST
NFC Championship - Green Bay Packers v Seattle Seahawks
Getty Images
The Seahawks can become the first team in more than two decades to make it to three straight Super Bowls, but keeping the team that won the NFC for the second straight year together won’t be easy.

One of the players they have the best chance of losing is cornerback Byron Maxwell, who can become a free agent next month. Maxwell moved into the starting lineup full-time after Brandon Browner’s departure and had 39 tackles, two interceptions and a forced fumble in 13 regular season games.

General Manager John Schneider said Wednesday that the team will work to keep Maxwell in the fold, but admitted that he expects a robust market for a player at or near the top of the list of free agent corners this year could lead to his departure.

“Based on what the landscape looks like from our eyes, he would be very highly sought after,” Schneider said on 950 KJR, via the Seattle Times. “Now, are we going to give it a good ride and try to do what we feel is appropriate for our organization and try to keep him? Absolutely. Is it going to be good enough? I can’t answer that. I really don’t know … Where his market goes, I think should be extremely high. Whether or not we’ll be able to keep him, I’m not sure. But we’re going to do whatever we can to try to do that.”

At 26, Maxwell is younger than fellow impending free agents Antonio Cromartie, Tramon Williams and Brandon Flowers and that’s likely fueling Schneider’s feelings about how high his eventual price tag will be. With extension talks for Russell Wilson and a possible extension for Marshawn Lynch looming on top of other business in Seattle, it doesn’t sound like it will be too big a surprise if that puts a Seattle return out of reach.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Jerry Hughes “absolutely” wants to return to Buffalo, “mixed emotions” about franchise tag

Posted by Josh Alper on February 11, 2015, 2:43 PM EST
Jerry Hughes
AP
After three years with the Colts, it didn’t look like Jerry Hughes was going to make good on the pass rushing potential that made him their first-round pick in 2010.

A change of scenery made all the difference. The Colts traded Hughes to the Bills before the 2013 season and have been rewarded with 20 sacks in the last two seasons as Hughes has proven a perfect fit with their other talented defensive linemen.

Hughes is set to become a free agent next month and said Wednesday on Sirius XM NFL Radio that he “absolutely” wants to remain in Buffalo. Coach Rex Ryan used the same word to describe the Bills’ desire for more of Hughes, which suggests that the franchise tag could be a possibility. It’s a possibility that leaves Hughes with conflicted feelings.

“I wouldn’t necessarily be disappointed,” Hughes said. “I do want [a long-term deal], but the pay increase is also a huge added bonus. It’s kind of a mixed emotions between both.”

The tag would be a big pay increase to the neighborhood of $14 million, which would eat up a big chunk of cap space for the Bills. That would seem to be impetus to work on a longer deal before the deadline to use the tag passes and Hughes draws close to finding out how much he can make on the open market.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Steven Jackson - RB - Falcons
ESPN Falcons reporter Vaughn McClure says Steven Jackson is likely to be released.
The Falcons can save $3.75M against the salary cap by cutting the dead-legged Jackson, who turns 32 in July and is a poor fit for zone scheme new OC Kyle Shanahan is installing. He's averaged a pathetic 3.60 YPC since signing with Atlanta in 2013, scoring just 13 touchdowns in 27 games while often playing through soft-tissue strains. S-Jax will have to settle for a bottom-barrel short-yardage role if he wants to stay in the league. Meanwhile, the Falcons have a lot of work to do on their backfield as Shanny only has undersized Devonta Freeman as a realistic feature back option right now.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Larry Fitzgerald - WR - Cardinals
Cardinals president Michael Bidwell says restructuring Larry Fitzgerald's contract is the team's top priority, but acknowledged that "it takes two to come to an agreement."
Fitzgerald will no doubt go down as the greatest receiver in Cardinals history, but right now his contract is holding the team back. A straight pay cut probably wouldn't appeal to Fitzgerald (he's scheduled to earn $16 million in 2015), but restructuring his deal could give Arizona enough cap room to sign a top flight free agent. Fitzgerald is coming off one of his worst statistical seasons, recording just 784 receiving yards in 14 games. Of course, Arizona's revolving door at quarterback is at least partially to be blame.

Julius Thomas - TE - Broncos
According to ESPN's Jeff Legwold, free agent Julius Thomas has made it clear to the Broncos he wants to be among the highest-paid tight ends in the league.
When healthy, Thomas has shown he can be a dominant mismatch creator -- especially in the red zone. But he's been injured in three of his four NFL seasons, often hampered by cumbersome ankle issues. And with the Broncos shifting to more of a run-based attack under Gary Kubiak, it would be a surprise if they ponied up the cash to re-sign Thomas. So look for Thomas to hit the open market in March and get overpaid as a player that benefited greatly from Peyton Manning's presence. Julius will be asking for something around the four-year, $40M deal Jimmy Graham got in July.

Byron Maxwell - DB - Seahawks
GM John Schneider admitted that free agent CB Byron Maxwell may get priced out of the Seahawks' budget.
Maxwell is our No. 1 corner available, ahead of Brandon Flowers, Tramon Williams and Antonio Cromartie. He's going to have a robust market at a time the Seahawks also need to pay Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch. "Based on what the landscape looks like from our eyes, he would be very highly sought after," Schneider said of Maxwell. "Now, are we going to give it a good ride and try to do what we feel is appropriate for our organization and try to keep him? Absolutely. Is it going to be good enough? I can't answer that."

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Brandon Graham - LB - Eagles
Free agent DE/OLB Brandon Graham is reportedly seeking a four-year contract in the neighborhood of $30M, with $20M guaranteed.