millner
sheldon
oday

brick
mangold
folk
pryor
jace

we would have to lose a few of these good guys or guys with potential if we brought houston in
I don't understand why it's a choice, we have cap to front load deals without killing future cap which is only going up.
I don't believe in signing a bunch of huge contacts, you need to develop chemistry each year, and you need depth or we will just lose our big contract players at the same time at a future date.
I would start by signing dependable core players that haven't earned their deals yet. We all know we want mo to stay, but he's not some monster stat guy, hasn't made a pro bowl, and is still to enter his prime. He won't get near 14mil per, like Mario williams and suh. I'd sign him now, front load a little on a5 year deal with 2 extra team option years, if he'd go for it. A5-7 year deal for what 8 mill per? At this stage in his career he'd take it, and we're betting on him. Richardson is similar, and snacks is much cheaper. As good as these guys are, they have been together 2 plus years and don't have some monster sack total, but we know we have a solid line for the future.
I would re sign them, keep pace as a mentor/minimum deal, re sign Harris for less money, think about Houston on a2-3 year deal, or go the cheaper route at lb, and instead pay maxwell until he's 30 and give cro a1-2 year deal on the cheap. We would solidify or worst d group, have young guys in the shadows, have capable lbs being supported by good db's and line play, lock up a top group of d line players, and have future security in a defense that can compete in this passing league. I don't care about coples,if he's cheap keep him until we draft a pass defending lb replacement just like Bart Scott grooming Davis.
D brick needs to be replaced in 2 years anyway, folk? Kickers can fall off quick but you address him in 3 years or so. Milner? He's cheap unless he becomes a star in which case you'd pair him with maxwell, cro would be gone by then and we should have some future cb draftees.

The core guys are Mangold, Richardson, mo,decker. The others could go either way, you're posing the question like every player is elite and un signable. You deal with these guys year by year because you don't know who's going to surprise you, get hurt, get arrested, be the goat. The fact is done of these guys will want more money in 2 or 3 years, but we should be able to replace them with decent players.

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I don't understand why it's a choice, we have cap to front load deals without killing future cap which is only going up.
I don't believe in signing a bunch of huge contacts, you need to develop chemistry each year, and you need depth or we will just lose our big contract players at the same time at a future date.
I would start by signing dependable core players that haven't earned their deals yet. We all know we want mo to stay, but he's not some monster stat guy, hasn't made a pro bowl, and is still to enter his prime. He won't get near 14mil per, like Mario williams and suh. I'd sign him now, front load a little on a5 year deal with 2 extra team option years, if he'd go for it. A5-7 year deal for what 8 mill per? At this stage in his career he'd take it, and we're betting on him. Richardson is similar, and snacks is much cheaper. As good as these guys are, they have been together 2 plus years and don't have some monster sack total, but we know we have a solid line for the future.
I would re sign them, keep pace as a mentor/minimum deal, re sign Harris for less money, think about Houston on a2-3 year deal, or go the cheaper route at lb, and instead pay maxwell until he's 30 and give cro a1-2 year deal on the cheap. We would solidify or worst d group, have young guys in the shadows, have capable lbs being supported by good db's and line play, lock up a top group of d line players, and have future security in a defense that can compete in this passing league. I don't care about coples,if he's cheap keep him until we draft a pass defending lb replacement just like Bart Scott grooming Davis.
D brick needs to be replaced in 2 years anyway, folk? Kickers can fall off quick but you address him in 3 years or so. Milner? He's cheap unless he becomes a star in which case you'd pair him with maxwell, cro would be gone by then and we should have some future cb draftees.

The core guys are Mangold, Richardson, mo,decker. The others could go either way, you're posing the question like every player is elite and un signable. You deal with these guys year by year because you don't know who's going to surprise you, get hurt, get arrested, be the goat. The fact is done of these guys will want more money in 2 or 3 years, but we should be able to replace them with decent players.

We are legally forced to spend our money this year, so go with it. Front load and lock guys up, add impact fa's on offense and defense, and trade down in the draft if who you want isn't there.
I would treat this year as a stockpile and team building experiment to be all in for Bowles year 2-4. Around bowls year 4 you would have to re tool somewhat, but also consider the drafts and fa classes each year.
The Giants only had like 4 guys on both super bowl teams, that's our reality. You aren't on a 6-7 year plan.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
DeMarco Murray - RB - Cowboys
SI's Andrew Brandt suspects teams will be scared away by DeMarco Murray's huge workload last season and that Dallas will be able to bring him back on a "team-friendly" contract.
The shelf life for a running back isn't long and there's sure to be some wear and tear on Murray after his absurd workload last season (497 touches including the playoffs). Teams rarely give out long-term deals to free agent running backs, a trend that should continue in the wake of recent failures like Ray Rice and Chris Johnson. If Murray finds a colder market than he expects, going back to Dallas at a team-friendly rate may end up being his best option.

Josh Gordon - WR - Browns
Browns owner Jimmy Haslam expressed his disappointment with Josh Gordon's latest suspension, but said there's "no huge hurry" to release him.
Haslam added that Gordon is "immensely gifted" and that he hopes he can get his life together. Gordon isn't occupying any cap space right now, so the Browns don't have to make a decision on his future any time soon. Gordon is still only 23, so there's plenty of time for him to turn things around. Of course, he needs to prove he's grown up before the Browns even think about giving him another chance. Gordon can't even apply to be reinstated to the league until after the 2015 season.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Vincent Jackson - WR - Buccaneers
Based on conversations with multiple NFL executives, Bleacher Report's Jason Cole expects the Buccaneers to ask Vincent Jackson to take a pay cut.
Cole foresees a potential "glut" of wideouts either restructuring or hitting the free agent market, including V-Jax, Percy Harvin, Mike Wallace, and Brandon Marshall. Jackson turned 32 years old last month and is owed a $9.8 million base salary. If he doesn't accept a pay cut, he could be released.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
We are legally forced to spend our money this year, so go with it. Front load and lock guys up, add impact fa's on offense and defense, and trade down in the draft if who you want isn't there.
I would treat this year as a stockpile and team building experiment to be all in for Bowles year 2-4. Around bowls year 4 you would have to re tool somewhat, but also consider the drafts and fa classes each year.
The Giants only had like 4 guys on both super bowl teams, that's our reality. You aren't on a 6-7 year plan.

In general, I agree, but you have to be careful whose deals you frontload. A lot of guys seem to forget that frontloaded deals mean there's less money on the back end.

Darrelle Revis? Thomas Jones?

A guy like Mo seems like the kind of guy you can frontload. He comes across as the type who would honor his contract and not make waves. But there are plenty of guys out there like Revis and Jones.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
In general, I agree, but you have to be careful whose deals you frontload. A lot of guys seem to forget that frontloaded deals mean there's less money on the back end.

Darrelle Revis? Thomas Jones?

A guy like Mo seems like the kind of guy you can frontload. He comes across as the type who would honor his contract and not make waves. But there are plenty of guys out there like Revis and Jones.

I think you need to front load Mo and Harrison's deals this year to make it easier when Richardson comes up down the line to do the same thing.

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I think you need to front load Mo and Harrison's deals this year to make it easier when Richardson comes up down the line to do the same thing.
I believe with mo,the jets have this year plus one more via team option, so strike a deal, listen mo you have two more years making shit then you are a stud free agent, maybe there's an injury and that never happens. We love you as a jet, here's a bonus, you get a raise the next 2 years and they become gauranteed, and we'll tack 2 more years on your deal at 10 million a piece. Ugly details, blah blah blah...

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I agree with the premise of frontloading when you have a ton of room now. What scares me is who you frontload. Some guys have shorter memories than others.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I believe with mo,the jets have this year plus one more via team option, so strike a deal, listen mo you have two more years making shit then you are a stud free agent, maybe there's an injury and that never happens. We love you as a jet, here's a bonus, you get a raise the next 2 years and they become gauranteed, and we'll tack 2 more years on your deal at 10 million a piece. Ugly details, blah blah blah...

Wilkerson is an unrestricted free agent in 2016. We would have to use the franchise tag on him then. IMO, it's best to work out a long term deal now. He's a homegrown talent, it sends a positive message to the rest of the team, and we have to use the cap space.

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
Wilkerson is an unrestricted free agent in 2016. We would have to use the franchise tag on him then. IMO, it's best to work out a long term deal now. He's a homegrown talent, it sends a positive message to the rest of the team, and we have to use the cap space.

I agree lock him up long term now

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I agree, but I believe because of the year he was drafted the cba is slightly different and there is one more year the team can exercise. I may be wrong, but I'm quite sure. It's hard to find anything online that gets details that specific.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I agree, but I believe because of the year he was drafted the cba is slightly different and there is one more year the team can exercise. I may be wrong, but I'm quite sure. It's hard to find anything online that gets details that specific.

There isn't. He signed a four year deal(2011-2014) with a one year team option(2015). Next year he's unrestricted.

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
There isn't. He signed a four year deal(2011-2014) with a one year team option(2015). Next year he's unrestricted.
Listen, I don't appreciate you killing my buzz;)
I am fully on-board with locking him up, the key is using cheap years on contracts to the teams advantage, because there is a salary cap.
I am a mo fan, but he doesn't deserve record money. Suh's current deal is in the 12mil range and Mario williams is making 15 this year. Mo makes 7 this year and doesn't get more than 10 a year considering his resume doesn't have any impressive sack totals, pro bowls, etc. We know he's pro bowl caliber as his fans, and he has the ability to explode in the future, but he hasn't yet. I'd give him a10 year deal because he's such a good teammate and stable talent. But what's he gonna do? Will he accept an honorable deal, or does he wasn't the biggest contract offered?
I'd be happy with a 6 year deal,10 per, 6mil bonus, 3 years gauranteed, plus team option year 7 for 14mil. Or shorten to a 5 year deal with option on the 6th.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Listen, I don't appreciate you killing my buzz;)
I am fully on-board with locking him up, the key is using cheap years on contracts to the teams advantage, because there is a salary cap.
I am a mo fan, but he doesn't deserve record money. Suh's current deal is in the 12mil range and Mario williams is making 15 this year. Mo makes 7 this year and doesn't get more than 10 a year considering his resume doesn't have any impressive sack totals, pro bowls, etc. We know he's pro bowl caliber as his fans, and he has the ability to explode in the future, but he hasn't yet. I'd give him a10 year deal because he's such a good teammate and stable talent. But what's he gonna do? Will he accept an honorable deal, or does he wasn't the biggest contract offered?
I'd be happy with a 6 year deal,10 per, 6mil bonus, 3 years gauranteed, plus team option year 7 for 14mil. Or shorten to a 5 year deal with option on the 6th.

:)

I can see a 5-6 year extension for $12 mil per.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Ahmad Brooks - LB - 49ers
The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows considers it "more likely" the 49ers release OLB Ahmad Brooks than Aldon Smith.
The 49ers have one of the worst salary-cap situations in the league, as they're currently projected to be about $6 million over the expected $142 million threshold. Brooks carries a $7.055 million cap hit, but the 49ers would clear just $1.5 million by releasing him. Releasing Smith would save $9.754 million. Second-year OLB Aaron Lynch is expected to be a starter after a strong rookie season.

Mike Wallace - WR - Dolphins
The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins could approach Mike Wallace about a restructure instead of outright releasing him.
Reporter Barry Jackson considers it "highly questionable" that Wallace would be open to reworking his deal. A "no" stance on a restructure would be a sign that Wallace would like his odds on the open market, even though it's shaping up as a loaded receiver class. Wallace is due $9.9 million for 2015, $3 million of which becomes guaranteed if he remains on the roster through March 10.

Josh McCown - QB - Free Agent
Free agent QB Josh McCown said he definitely plans to play in 2015.
After being unsure whether he wanted to continue his career last offseason and eventually signing with the Bucs, McCown is back on the market and wants to be part of a 53-man roster. McCown, however, says he won't limit himself to teams that will give him a shot to start. He's open to being a backup at 36 (in July).

U

ucrenegade

Ahmad Brooks - LB - 49ers
The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows considers it "more likely" the 49ers release OLB Ahmad Brooks than Aldon Smith.
The 49ers have one of the worst salary-cap situations in the league, as they're currently projected to be about $6 million over the expected $142 million threshold. Brooks carries a $7.055 million cap hit, but the 49ers would clear just $1.5 million by releasing him. Releasing Smith would save $9.754 million. Second-year OLB Aaron Lynch is expected to be a starter after a strong rookie season.

Mike Wallace - WR - Dolphins
The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins could approach Mike Wallace about a restructure instead of outright releasing him.
Reporter Barry Jackson considers it "highly questionable" that Wallace would be open to reworking his deal. A "no" stance on a restructure would be a sign that Wallace would like his odds on the open market, even though it's shaping up as a loaded receiver class. Wallace is due $9.9 million for 2015, $3 million of which becomes guaranteed if he remains on the roster through March 10.

Josh McCown - QB - Free Agent
Free agent QB Josh McCown said he definitely plans to play in 2015.
After being unsure whether he wanted to continue his career last offseason and eventually signing with the Bucs, McCown is back on the market and wants to be part of a 53-man roster. McCown, however, says he won't limit himself to teams that will give him a shot to start. He's open to being a backup at 36 (in July).

wouldn't touch any of these guys