COMBINE...THIS WEEK, Ladies and Gents

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
I really wonder where he goes. If we traded down with Cleveland or the Eagles, I think he becomes in play mid to late rd 1 unless teams throw out the baggage, then he goes top 10.

Dorial Green-Beckham - WR - Player
An AFC scout calls Missouri WR Dorial Green-Beckham "special," and believes he'd be considered the best receiver prospect since Calvin Johnson if not for his off-the-field issues.
"He's one of the best receivers I've ever seen," the scout said. "He's gigantic, he has tremendous body control, balance, he runs like a deer and can leap out of the gym and high-point the ball." Green-Beckham was a five-star recruit out of high school, but couldn't stay out of trouble at Mizzou, getting caught with marijuana before being accused of domestic violence. He transferred to Oklahoma, but had to sit out because of the NCAA's transfer rules. DGB is a top-10 talent who could fall to day two because of his character question marks.

LOL. I've been telling you this for weeks! I guess I can understand it having more credibility coming from someone who's paid to do this kind of thing though.

No question this kid is the goods physically. Of course, we've seen elite talents fizzle before. You have to be willing to put in the work. It's why I don't worry as much as some about Winston...the kid loves football. He loves to play and be around his teammates.

When it comes to DGB, the interview with Bob Stoops, who's very respected in coaching circles, will be key. He had DGB for a full year on the practice squad. How hard did he go in practice knowing he couldn't play? Did he try to get better? Did he care about pushing his teammates? Did he want to win? I would love to hear what Coach Stoops is telling GM's and Scouts behind closed doors.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
LOL. I've been telling you this for weeks! I guess I can understand it having more credibility coming from someone who's paid to do this kind of thing though.

No question this kid is the goods physically. Of course, we've seen elite talents fizzle before. You have to be willing to put in the work. It's why I don't worry as much as some about Winston...the kid loves football. He loves to play and be around his teammates.

When it comes to DGB, the interview with Bob Stoops, who's very respected in coaching circles, will be key. He had DGB for a full year on the practice squad. How hard did he go in practice knowing he couldn't play? Did he try to get better? Did he care about pushing his teammates? Did he want to win? I would love to hear what Coach Stoops is telling GM's and Scouts behind closed doors.

nice to see you make it over here point.

you've definitely been all over DGB. i was thinking of you when i read the above post and summary of him. as talented as he is, i can't see us using the #6 pick on him, but if we manage to trade down i could see using a later 1st for him. he's a boom or bust player. he could be the next megatron...he could be the next josh gordon or justin blackmon

M

Matriculator

...and Missouri's coach as well.

He looks like Dez Bryant on film but as we've seen some guys fizzle out recently, that fear is everyone's mind. Who's going to roll the dice on him? I could see the Patriots or Seahawks. Both were in on a gamble last year in Dominique Easley. But someone earlier will likely pull the trigger.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Im not stealing your sizzle. :) You have been on his bandwagon from the beginning. Im just posting the article and wonddering which team may throw out the baggage and grab him. I agree with Hobson, I dont think he goes #6 to the Jets, but i think if the jets move back with Cleveland or Eagles, he becomes "in play," unless a top 10 team says, I dont care about his off the field issues and assigns him someone like Dallas did to bryant to watch his every move...

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Garrett Grayson - QB - Player
Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson tweaked his hamstring in training and will not work out at the NFL Scouting Combine this week.
Grayson (6-foot-2, 220) has seen his stock rise a bit in recent weeks. To some, he's the No. 3 quarterback in this draft class behind Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston. That's not saying a whole lot, however, as Grayson isn't viewed as much more than a long-term backup at the next level. He has no elite traits.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Im not stealing your sizzle. :) You have been on his bandwagon from the beginning. Im just posting the article and wonddering which team may throw out the baggage and grab him. I agree with Hobson, I dont think he goes [URL=http://nyjetsfanatics.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=6]#6 [/URL] to the Jets, but i think if the jets move back with Cleveland or Eagles, he becomes "in play," unless a top 10 team says, I dont care about his off the field issues and assigns him someone like Dallas did to bryant to watch his every move...

I agree with you guys. #6 is too high based on the risk and the fact that there's good value at WR once again in this draft.

With that said, for whatever it's worth, these are the top 3 talents in this draft:

1) Todd Gurley (RB, UGA)
2) DGB (WR, Mizzu/OU)
3) Jameis Winston (QB, FSU)

Fascinating that the 3 biggest "talents" in the draft all have huge question marks for other reasons. Gurley is a very good kid but he takes a lot of punishment as a runner and is coming off the ACL. His shelf life might only be about 4 or 5 years, but he has the potential to be the biggest freak at that position during that time. A team like Denver who is poised to make a run and has a small window would be wise to jump on him.

At the end of the day, a team devoid of talent, and holding the #6 pick, you hope they walk with one of these guys. But, as of right now, all three look like long shots based on where they're projected.

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
Garrett Grayson - QB - Player
Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson tweaked his hamstring in training and will not work out at the NFL Scouting Combine this week.
Grayson (6-foot-2, 220) has seen his stock rise a bit in recent weeks. To some, he's the No. 3 quarterback in this draft class behind Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston. That's not saying a whole lot, however, as Grayson isn't viewed as much more than a long-term backup at the next level. He has no elite traits.

I am not a big Grayson fan and I hope we steer clear if him. Please no 6'2" QBs anymore

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I agree with you guys. #6 is too high based on the risk and the fact that there's good value at WR once again in this draft.

With that said, for whatever it's worth, these are the top 3 talents in this draft:

1) Todd Gurley (RB, UGA)
2) DGB (WR, Mizzu/OU)
3) Jameis Winston (QB, FSU)

Fascinating that the 3 biggest "talents" in the draft all have huge question marks for other reasons. Gurley is a very good kid but he takes a lot of punishment as a runner and is coming off the ACL. His shelf life might only be about 4 or 5 years, but he has the potential to be the biggest freak at that position during that time. A team like Denver who is poised to make a run and has a small window would be wise to jump on him.

At the end of the day, a team devoid of talent, and holding the #6 pick, you hope they walk with one of these guys. But, as of right now, all three look like long shots based on where they're projected.

Your just saying they're your top 3 favorite prospects, right? Not necessarily the 3 best players in the draft?

My 3 favorite players in this draft are (where I am really excited to see where they go and will watch them regardless of team drafted by):

2015:

1) Randy Gregory DE/OLB Nebraska - non-stop motor but a bit small, but I really think his work ethic and drive to be great will make him special. I'd like to see where he lands. I think he can be a stud.

2) Quinten Rollins CB Miami of Ohio - He's been the most productive CB in the country and in this draft and really stood out on the big stage at the senior bowl. The kids upside just seems amazing to me. I am really excited to see if he can become a true #1 CB. I do think it may take year 2 or 3, but I think he will be a starting CB in the NFL and an eventual #1 .

3) Kevin White WR WVU - nothing against your guy, but I think this guy may run a 4.38 at 6'3 215lbs, and may be an Andre Johnson type who fills out with NFL strength and conditioning. I think the kid can be special and has some wiggle to go with height and speed.

2014 - my favorite 3 were Mack OLB Buff, Ebron TE UNC, and Moncreif Miss St
2013 - my 3 favorites were Swearinger S SC, Desmond Trufant CB Wash, and Geno WVU (I liked Short DT Purdue and Long OG Oregon who I thought were both awesome at the senior bowl)

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I saw film on him too (not for 48 hours a day like Jaws) and wasn't impressed either.

+2, not a huge fan, too long of a windup before he throws, does seem accurate when given plenty of time, but nothing looks great. Not a big arm, not a great throwing motion, and likely a 5-7 rd talent, IMO. Garrapelo was a better prospect last year, IMO.

M

Matriculator

+2, not a huge fan, too long of a windup before he throws, does seem accurate when given plenty of time, but nothing looks great. Not a big arm, not a great throwing motion, and likely a 5-7 rd talent, IMO. Garrapelo was a better prospect last year, IMO.

Much better. And much better QB class. Garroppalo would've been a shoe-in for the 1st this year. Nice pickup for the Pats, unfortunately.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Your just saying they're your top 3 favorite prospects, right? Not necessarily the 3 best players in the draft?

My 3 favorite players in this draft are (where I am really excited to see where they go and will watch them regardless of team drafted by):

2015:

1) Randy Gregory DE/OLB Nebraska - non-stop motor but a bit small, but I really think his work ethic and drive to be great will make him special. I'd like to see where he lands. I think he can be a stud.

2) Quinten Rollins CB Miami of Ohio - He's been the most productive CB in the country and in this draft and really stood out on the big stage at the senior bowl. The kids upside just seems amazing to me. I am really excited to see if he can become a true #1 CB. I do think it may take year 2 or 3, but I think he will be a starting CB in the NFL and an eventual #1 .

3) Kevin White WR WVU - nothing against your guy, but I think this guy may run a 4.38 at 6'3 215lbs, and may be an Andre Johnson type who fills out with NFL strength and conditioning. I think the kid can be special and has some wiggle to go with height and speed.

2014 - my favorite 3 were Mack OLB Buff, Ebron TE UNC, and Moncreif Miss St
2013 - my 3 favorites were Swearinger S SC, Desmond Trufant CB Wash, and Geno WVU (I liked Short DT Purdue and Long OG Oregon who I thought were both awesome at the senior bowl)

No, I am saying these are the three best talents in the 2015 draft. As in: if they live up to their potential they will be the best players to come out of this draft. Of course it's never that simple as injuries, bad teams, off the field trouble, etc, can derail a career quickly. Sometimes it's about the best player going to the best situation that stays the healthiest. But I guess that's just true of life in general. Luck is always a factor.

I will agree that a good case can be made for Randy Gregory. He's right outside the top 3 in my book.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
No, I am saying these are the three best talents in the 2015 draft. As in: if they live up to their potential they will be the best players to come out of this draft. Of course it's never that simple as injuries, bad teams, off the field trouble, etc, can derail a career quickly. Sometimes it's about the best player going to the best situation that stays the healthiest. But I guess that's just true of life in general. Luck is always a factor.

I will agree that a good case can be made for Randy Gregory. He's right outside the top 3 in my book.

Thanks for clarifying, we're talking apples and oranges then.

My top 3 on my big board would be:

1) Williams DT USC - has Watt/Suh potential, IMO.
2) Gregory OLB NE - can be the next "pencil him in for 10 sacks per season" type OLB, which everyone is looking for.
3) Rollins CB Miamia Ohio - 6'0 205lbs CB that plays the ball (7 ints last year) and has the size and speed needed to be elite and naturally plays the ball (had a great pick in the senior bowl as well). I just think he has #1 CB potential and that is worth a ton in today's NFL.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
As an FYI, Jameis Winston is planning on throwing on Saturday at the combine. He doesn't lack for confidence. I hope this puts pressure on Mariota and some of the others to throw as well.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
One of my favorite players.....dont know why hes not mentioned with top WR big play every time he touches ball..and size speed strength for NFL

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=42338CFFE35E22D7553A42338CFFE35E22D7553A

he drops a ton of balls. He has size, speed, and bad hands. At the senior bowl it was all he talked about...that he only dropped 1 ball per game and only had 2 games where he dropped 2. You could tell coaches, both in college and the pros, preached drops to him. Now, senior bowl week he reportedly dropped 0 balls in practice, but there were some balls during the game, including a beautiful corner fade in teh endzone, that I thought he should have had.

I think he's a #2 or #3 that you hope can improve concentration and develop into something special. I think he goes rd 2 much like JavonWalker when he came out and GB worked with him to break out of his drop issues. Some guys improve after being drafted (JavonWalker, Owens, Chad Johnson, etc) and some don't (JJ Stokes, Stephen Hill, Carlos Rodgers, etc).

F

flgreen

NFL Combine 2015: A Jets primer

NFL Combine
It's combine time. (AP photo | Mel Evans)

Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on February 18, 2015 at 10:29 AM, updated February 18, 2015 at 10:32 AM

ABOARD A FLIGHT TO INDIANAPOLIS — And now it's time to get to work.

The new Jets regime, including head coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan, is in Indianapolis for the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine, where more than 300 players will be evaluated in advance of the draft that will take place April 30-May 2.

It's the first chance for Bowles and Maccagnan et al. to be together to get a glimpse of the top college prospects.

More than 300 players will participate, and the complete list can be found here. And here is the full schedule of the week's activities.

We're en route to Indy to bring you complete coverage. Here's what you need to know.

Who: The Jets staff (Bowles and his assistants, plus Maccagnan and the team's scouts and medical personnel) will all be evaluating prospects.

What: The player evaluations will include medical exams, on-field workout drills, testing, and interviews with team personnel. The medical exams and team interviews are considered most important, but players can also positively or negatively affect teams' impressions of them with their workouts.

Where: Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis

When: Players began arriving Tuesday. They will work out in position groups from Wednesday until Monday, and will meet with reporters from Wednesday through Saturday.

Why: The Jets hope to find the players who will make up the franchise's future. Their last two drafts, under former GM John Idzik, produced a star in defensive end Sheldon Richardson, but otherwise the jury's still out. And their drafts in the years before that largely did not pan out, which is why they've missed the playoffs and are coming off a 4-12 season.

Other issues to watch:

1. Contract extension for Mo Wilkerson: Maccagnan and his people are meeting with Wilkerson's people in Indy to begin work toward a long-overdue extension for the stud defensive end. Might there be a deal before the week's out?

2. Retaining David Harris? The Jets won't be slapping the franchise tag on their 31-year-old veteran inside linebacker, who is due to become an unrestricted free agent in a few weeks. But Harris does hope to "retire a Jet." The Jets are thin at inside linebacker, so will there be a deal in the offing to keep Harris in green?

3. Risers and fallers: The week is full of speculation, but the Jets have needs at quarterback, cornerback, wide receiver, offensive guard, offensive tackle, edge rusher, inside linebacker, and safety. Plenty of players who "win" or "lose" this week could have their evaluations impacted.

4. Bowles and Maccagnan meet the media: Both are scheduled to talk to reporters on Wednesday for the first time since their introductory press conference. Bowles is up at 2:30 p.m., and Maccagnan goes at 2:45 p.m.

Some reading material:

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Lovie Smith on Jameis Winston’s off-field issues: We’re OK with where he is

Posted by Josh Alper on February 18, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Jameis Winston
AP
The Buccaneers are expected to take a quarterback with the first pick in the draft, with Florida State’s Jameis Winston topping most lists when it comes to on-field readiness to start in the NFL.

There are off-field questions regarding Winston after a host of issues during his college career, including allegations of sexual assault. Winston was not charged by authorities and was cleared in a code of conduct hearing held by the school, two things that Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith cited Wednesday as reasons why the team would be comfortable making Winston the first pick of the draft and the face of their franchise.

“From what I know right now, yeah, we’re OK with where he is,” Smith said, via Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s been accused of a crime. There’s an allegation. He went through our court system. I have faith in our court system. He went through the school justice system. He was cleared. He went through our court system and he was cleared. Exonerated. What else can you do?”

Smith said the team is still doing its homework on Winston and there are on-field workouts to come, so it’s premature to start making jerseys with anyone’s name on the back at this point. Character questions are the biggest red flag about Winston, though, and his chances of going No. 1 look a lot better if the Bucs continue to be OK with everything on that front.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments