Devin McCourty to remain with Pats

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I don't like Revis, either. I wanted Jackson. If not him, Maxwell. Both are off the market.

What are the Jets supposed to do about CB, if the best player on the market to fit their need is Revis?

Go with Cro who wants to be here. Hope for Milliner return and McD being healthy as well. I trust Bowles to get the most of his players.

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
The CB market is getting thin in a hurry. If Revis stays in NE, Tramon Williams signs in Philly, and Cromartie stays in AZ...

This could be an ugly situation at CB next year.

F

flgreen

Here's the thing. The fans, led by the media, reinforced by 4-12, believe the Jets are in a rebuilding year.

The front office, by it's actions, (Harris and Marshall, starting to look like Revis) are indicating they think they can win now.

Think I'll wait at least until camp to decide if they are right or wrong.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Here's the thing. The fans, led by the media, reinforced by 4-12, believe the Jets are in a rebuilding year.

The front office, by it's actions, (Harris and Marshall, starting to look like Revis) are indicating they think they can win now.

Think I'll wait at least until camp to decide if they are right or wrong.

I think the fan base was ruined by Idzik. I'm hoping for the best. Thats all we can do as fans.

F

flgreen

I think the fan base was ruined by Idzik. I'm hoping for the best. Thats all we can do as fans.

I agree.

The reason I'm still a fan of this franchise is because I convince myself every year at this time...."anything can happen. They have a chance"

I always wait until at least week two before I give up.

F

flgreen

Steve Serby
. .

The waiting is over: Jets, go get Darrelle Revis

By Steve Serby

March 9, 2015 | 12:38am

The waiting is over: Jets, go get Darrelle Revis

One by one, the free-agent market is backing Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan (and Woody Johnson) into a corner.

Todd Bowles needs cornerbacks the way Darrelle Revis needs to be the highest-paid cornerback in football.

The second-tier cornerbacks who would have been instant starters — Kareem Jackson (signed by the Texans, $8.5 mil per); Byron Maxwell (reportedly signed by the Eagles to a six-year, $63 million pact with $25 million guaranteed) and Brandon Flowers (signed by the Chargers, $9 million per) are either off the market or about to be.

I lobbied against a Revis-Jets reunion a year ago in large part because the Jets were hardly one Revis away from a Super Bowl. And, of course, they still aren’t.

But now that these second-tier options can’t help the Jets … now that he has recaptured his Revis Island form … now that he is another year removed from his devastating ACL surgery … now that there is an opportunity to steal him away and damage the Patriots … and now that Maccagnan has the financial wherewithal ($38,875,468) to strike (a shoutout here to John Idzik) …

It is time for the owner to put his money where his mouth is.

And bring Revis home.

Let Revis know — through the widespread illegal legal grapevine — an offer he cannot refuse will be waiting for him so he will be motivated to resist staying with Bill Belichick and be set free.

In the likely event the Patriots do not exercise Revis’ $25 million for 2015 Tuesday, he will be able to test the open market.

And while we’re on the reunion theme, Antonio Cromartie would welcome a return to Florham Park. He likes Bowles, and he’d come cheap as a one-year rental at worst, but only if the Jets are left standing in the game of musical chairs.

The trade for receiver Brandon Marshall, for a fifth-round pick checked off one glaring hole.

Bringing Revis home would check off another.

Johnson should understand he is surrounded by enemies looking to keep him buried in the basement everywhere he turns in the AFC East, and it isn’t just Belichick anymore.

Rex Ryan, fired by Johnson, has a Rob Ryan-sized chip on his shoulder, and he just landed LeSean McCoy to run behind Rich Incognito for his frozen Ground & Pound in Buffalo.

Trader Mike Tannenbaum, fired by Johnson following the 2012 season, is on the brink of making the biggest splash in free agency with the biggest fish of all, Ndamukong Suh.

Bringing Revis home would show Jets Nation and the football world the Jets mean business, too.

Remember, Maccagnan has the sixth pick in the NFL Draft, so he should be able to secure at least two starters if he is as good as advertised evaluating personnel. And Percy Harvin ($10.5 million) is a luxury rather than a necessity at this point.

If Maxwell is worth $10 million per minimum, what is Revis worth? If Joe Haden is worth five years, $67.5 million, if Patrick Peterson is worth five years, $70 million, and Richard Sherman four years, $56 million, what is Revis worth?

He would fill only one glaring hole, but it is a huge hole, and he would make everyone around him better, and be an invaluable leader on a defense with many young talents.

Johnson and Maccagnan should not expect any hometown discount from Revis. That just isn’t the way he operates. But the landscape has changed. At this point, the issue isn’t if the Jets can afford bringing Revis home. Because they can. The issue is they can’t afford not to.

The Jets haven’t made the playoffs since 2010. They didn’t even try to win last season. Go for it.

The time is right to Bring Revis HOME

J

Jet Setter

I don't like Revis, either. I wanted Jackson. If not him, Maxwell. Both are off the market.

What are the Jets supposed to do about CB, if the best player on the market to fit their need is Revis?

Right. Which is why I've been critical of Woody since learning they passed on Revis last year. As a business man, you MUST take emotion and pettiness out of the equation and do what's best for your organization. Remove the "pride" and PR and move forward with big-boy decisions. I personally believe the talks with Casserly and Polian has paved the way towards his new approach towards Revis today. Not to mention last year's failure to land a top CB when Revis came to our door step. That's a failure from the top to act on that. Give Woody an assist to NE for another Lombardi trophy.

And I still hope Culliver is still in the equation as he's been my CB all along. But fans better come to realize that Revis is a real possibility and the alternative is a guy like Patterson (2nd tier) when these top-tier guys are all gone. And they all are about gobbled up now.

And I agree, the Jets aren't going to go fetal and wallow in misery claiming they can't sign a good player because they're not so-called "SB-worthy". That kind of mentality will keep you being a loser forever. It's pathetic speak. The fact is, many teams are closer to success than fans and media alike can comprehend and there are reasons why 4th to 1st place finishes are common in today's game.

Revis could be the mentor to all these young CB's on the team in showing how to prepare physically and mentally.
On top of that, the cost he brings to the cap that will sting but if effectively keeps him away from NE. That's money well-invested IMO. And anyone who thinks the Patriots are head-and-shoulders above everyone in the division and conference isn't paying attention. Buffalo and Miami are closing the gap and so will the Jets. That has to be the prevailing mindset going forward. There will be far fewer layups in this division for the Pats.

G

grogan14

Right. Which is why I've been critical of Woody since learning they passed on Revis last year. As a business man, you MUST take emotion and pettiness out of the equation and do what's best for your organization. Remove the "pride" and PR and move forward with big-boy decisions. I personally believe the talks with Casserly and Polian has paved the way towards his new approach towards Revis today. Not to mention last year's failure to land a top CB when Revis came to our door step. That's a failure from the top to act on that. Give Woody an assist to NE for another Lombardi trophy.

And I still hope Culliver is still in the equation as he's been my CB all along. But fans better come to realize that Revis is a real possibility and the alternative is a guy like Patterson (2nd tier) when these top-tier guys are all gone. And they all are about gobbled up now.

And I agree, the Jets aren't going to go fetal and wallow in misery claiming they can't sign a good player because they're not so-called "SB-worthy". That kind of mentality will keep you being a loser forever. It's pathetic speak. The fact is, many teams are closer to success than fans and media alike can comprehend and there are reasons why 4th to 1st place finishes are common in today's game.

Revis could be the mentor to all these young CB's on the team in showing how to prepare physically and mentally.
On top of that, the cost he brings to the cap that will sting but if effectively keeps him away from NE. That's money well-invested IMO. And anyone who thinks the Patriots are head-and-shoulders above everyone in the division and conference isn't paying attention. Buffalo and Miami are closing the gap and so will the Jets. That has to be the prevailing mindset going forward. There will be far fewer layups in this division for the Pats.

The simple fact of the matter is that unless the Jets are willing to give him a ridiculous contract, far and away beyond what the Pats are willing to, then he's not signing with the Jets. If the money is even comparable by a mil or two he's signing with the Pats, and come to think of it, as the Boston Herald pointed out this morning, they could very easily re-do a couple contracts and keep him at his current cap number of 25 mil, unlikely but very doable. I think you're looking at a 4 year 56 mil with maybe 28-30 guaranteed gets it done with the Pats.

J

Jet Setter

The simple fact of the matter is that unless the Jets are willing to give him a ridiculous contract, far and away beyond what the Pats are willing to, then he's not signing with the Jets. If the money is even comparable by a mil or two he's signing with the Pats, and come to think of it, as the Boston Herald pointed out this morning, they could very easily re-do a couple contracts and keep him at his current cap number of 25 mil, unlikely but very doable. I think you're looking at a 4 year 56 mil with maybe 28-30 guaranteed gets it done with the Pats.

I don't concede that as a fact of the matter that the Jets would have to give him so much more. That's fan speak that I don't subscribe to. For Revis, it's not about winning it's about the cash. And I believe he truly likes NY and a lot of the players still on the roster which is why we are always linked to him but bottom line, he knows they will pony up a lot of money here and is smartly using two rivals against each other to raise the bidding. I'm surprised we don't see more of this.

F

flgreen

I don't concede that as a fact of the matter that the Jets would have to give him so much more. That's fan speak that I don't subscribe to. For Revis, it's not about winning it's about the cash. And I believe he truly likes NY and a lot of the players still on the roster which is why we are always linked to him but bottom line, he knows they will pony up a lot of money here and is smartly using two rivals against each other to raise the bidding. I'm surprised we don't see more of this.

Agree

Plus he has a ring that all but secures his HOF nom. He'll play for the highest bidder

G

grogan14

I don't agree. For example lets say the Pats are offering Revis 4 years at 56mil with 29 Guaranteed and the Jets are offering 4 at 56 with 30 Guaranteed, there is no way Revis is signing up with the Jets to struggle with a six win team because he likes a couple of the Jets players, all for a swing of a million dollars offset by taxes anyway. I know a lot of Jet fans want to believe that winning means nothing to Revis and a penny more will swing the deal, but the reality is he just got paid and won the Super Bowl, if he can get that again, of course he's going to take it.

J

Jet Setter

I don't agree. For example lets say the Pats are offering Revis 4 years at 56mil with 29 Guaranteed and the Jets are offering 4 at 56 with 30 Guaranteed, there is no way Revis is signing up with the Jets to struggle with a six win team because he likes a couple of the Jets players, all for a swing of a million dollars offset by taxes anyway. I know a lot of Jet fans want to believe that winning means nothing to Revis and a penny more will swing the deal, but the reality is he just got paid and won the Super Bowl, if he can get that again, of course he's going to take it.

No, that's not a reality, that's an assumption. Understand the distinction?
And yes, I heard your argument. I don't agree. Capeche?

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

This makes sense and I agree. It's just some members here were saying that the Jets will need to pay a premium to land free agents. I don't think that is really the case, slightly overpay, yes but not huge amounts. For a one million dollar difference, Revis will probably stay with the Pats.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

You don't know Darrelle Revis very well, do you?

When has he ever demonstrated that he would not chase the money? When has he ever left money on the table in order to win? Why do Patriots fans think that this guy, who has been all about the almighty dollar, will suddenly become team-first because he plays for Belichick? Seriously. Belichick would cut his own mother for cap space, but somehow every player would give their right arm to be treated like a commodity by them, a pawn to be used and disposed of as soon as it's convenient.

It's absolute garbage the level of Patriots entitlement. The Pats think that everyone wants to play for them, and only them. They may as well expect guys to pay Kraft and Belichick for the privilege of being Patriots.

Most smug, arrogant team in football.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
This makes sense and I agree. It's just some members here were saying that the Jets will need to pay a premium to land free agents. I don't think that is really the case, slightly overpay, yes but not huge amounts. For a one million dollar difference, Revis will probably stay with the Pats.

Based on what, though? When in his entire career has he ever even hinted at taking less money from a team, much less actually done it?

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Based on what, though? When in his entire career has he ever even hinted at taking less money from a team, much less actually done it?

There is no evidence, and you are right. His past has shown otherwise but the difference was never a million dollars. Maybe now having played for a dysfunctional Jets team and a crappy Bucs team, he values winning a bit more that a million bucks won't make him uproot his family once again.

J

Jet Setter

There is no evidence, and you are right. His past has shown otherwise but the difference was never a million dollars. Maybe now having played for a dysfunctional Jets team, and a crappy Bucs team, he values winning a bit more that a million bucks won't make him uproot his family once again.

It's still a stretch to assume this knowing his history. Uncle Gilbert still runs his finances.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
There is no evidence, and you are right. His past has shown otherwise but the difference was never a million dollars. Maybe now having played for a dysfunctional Jets team, and a crappy Bucs team, he values winning a bit more that a million bucks won't make him uproot his family once again.

Perhaps, but I have never seen a player as over-the-top in his money-first attitude. And it's not like Foxboro to Florham Park is moving the family across the country.